Thoughts on a 7x300 wm?

I swore off wildcats a while ago...as some said above with the 28 nosler, 7 STW and 7 PRC floating around...why....unless you want something different

I haven't tried to find STW brass for a long time, where do you source it these days?

Even back in the 80's when I built my first one I was using 8 RM brass

I haven't tried to find STW brass for a long time, where do you source it these days?

Even back in the 80's when I built my first one I was using 8 RM brass
Side note, I never got remotely close to the speeds that Layne was pimping back then....

As a lifelong fan of the 7 Rem Mag, I recently built a slightly different rifle that I am in love with. The reason it works for me are all specific to mission and performance targets. I built a 7 WSM recently that I love. It pushes a 180 grain bullet right over 3000 fps and shoots like a dream. I would recommend if you want a 7/300. build it. The process is always fun and the reasons it seems right for you will be true to you alone.
I shoot my 7 WSM quite a bit, gotta ask what on earth are you running to get the 180 over 3000 fps?

Powder, charge, barrel length?

Lastly and please be honest but how long can you keep your primer pockets tight with this load?

Bertram Brass, Fed 215 primer, 67 grains of RL26. The bullets are seated 25 off the lands which puts the beginning of the boattail right at the start of the neck. The data below is from first time brass. I have reloaded the brass 5 times and the primer pockets are still holding.

1719521455317.png

I am not advocating for the load in anyone else's setup. It is shooting well in mine.

Bertram Brass, Fed 215 primer, 67 grains of RL26. The bullets are seated 25 off the lands which puts the beginning of the boattail right at the start of the neck. The data below is from first time brass. I have reloaded the brass 5 times and the primer pockets are still holding.

View attachment 582058

I am not advocating for the load in anyone else's setup. It is shooting well in mine.
26" barrel

I might be wrong but the practical might have a different shoulder angle??
The 7-300wm as I understand has the same shoulder angle as the 7RM and 300wm, therefore using 300wm brass that is necked down to 7mm.
Am I correct in thinking that??
Shoulder angle was changed to 30d

I swore off wildcats a while ago...as some said above with the 28 nosler, 7 STW and 7 PRC floating around...why....unless you want something different
Well because the 7-300 isnt really any more effort than either one of the cartridges you named. Plus the 28 noz and 7stw are throat burners. So a simple answer to this conundrum is just that. The 7-300 is very simple to load for in not needing fire forming...doesn't torch throats like the larger 7s....availability of brass pretty much anywhere/anytime...seems pretty logical. As for the 7prc I don't know how that cartridge even gets let into the conversation when talking about 7-300, 28, and 7stw...so I cannot speak to that

7x300 is probably a bit easier to make brass for than a 7stw. That said, and 375H@H brass is perfect for 7stw, as is any 8rem brass.
Personally, I can't believe Nos. thinks they can get 4 bucks a pop for 7stw brass. I have 75 of them sitting around as spares for when I wear out some of my other 7stw brass.
All the speed demons created by rl25 and rl26 are gonna start crying soon. I'm about out of rl25 myself but I have somewhere around 400 7stw loaded with 140 ab's and rl25. It'll last me a spell. I'll switch to aa8700 or wc872 when the rl25 is gone I suppose who knows, I might go to vit 565 or 570.
A 180 in a 7wsm is maxed out at 3K fps? I run my 7rum around start loads with a 175 eld-x at 2900 fps. I suppose I ought to work the pressure up a bit, but I don't really push my big 7's very hard; my 7stw is just below 3400 fps with a 140.

As a lifelong fan of the 7 Rem Mag, I recently built a slightly different rifle that I am in love with. The reason it works for me are all specific to mission and performance targets. I built a 7 WSM recently that I love. It pushes a 180 grain bullet right over 3000 fps and shoots like a dream. I would recommend if you want a 7/300. build it. The process is always fun and the reasons it seems right for you will be true to you alone.
Love me some 7RM! They do amazing things for me. I think it's pretty much the perfect case capacity for the 180s.