This was posted by a gate on the two track in area in WY where we were Prairie dog hunting

View attachment 579730
This was not there last year! We hunt several miles beyond this sign and several miles before. Please respect the gates!
Like so many other things in life, so much goes back to how one was raised. If a person isn`t taught to respect other people`s property and the land in general, they won`t learn it in their 20`s and 30`s. One of Daddy`s mantras, " Son, try to leave a place a little better than you found it." Can be applied to a lot of things in life, to include how you treat others.

I am a gen x guy that grew up in Michigan. I worked on the neighbors dairy farm. I learned that if the gate is open leave it open if it is closed keep it close that is the rule of thumb but most people today never work around livestock operations never had to chase and herd them back in you learn your lesson fast. Most people now days are in subdivision houses not at all I am generalize that. Not making excuses but what people do not know they don't know. I like the note it gives people a reminder of what is needed to be done .
The lesson goes beyond just shutting a gate.

Here in central Mt private land is hard to get permission on but I’ve gained access to quite a bit of it but it has taken time and effort so I’m extremely careful when on it . As far as state ground land owners closing that off to people really ****es me off . This year me and a buddy are getting a helicopter to go in to 6 sections during bow season. I understand ranchers pay the taxes on it to run cattle but they outfit it for bigger $ and the public can’t gain access to it. We must do something about this problem I spend lots of time writing emails and phone calls . State government is try to take the public out of public ground

Here in central Mt private land is hard to get permission on but I've gained access to quite a bit of it but it has taken time and effort so I'm extremely careful when on it . As far as state ground land owners closing that off to people really ****es me off . This year me and a buddy are getting a helicopter to go in to 6 sections during bow season. I understand ranchers pay the taxes on it to run cattle but they outfit it for bigger $ and the public can't gain access to it. We must do something about this problem I spend lots of time writing emails and phone calls . State government is try to take the public out of public ground
Good morning Will. Is it legal use use helicopters for transporting your gear and hunting in MT? I understand that's off limits in WY.

Here in central Mt private land is hard to get permission on but I've gained access to quite a bit of it but it has taken time and effort so I'm extremely careful when on it . As far as state ground land owners closing that off to people really ****es me off . This year me and a buddy are getting a helicopter to go in to 6 sections during bow season. I understand ranchers pay the taxes on it to run cattle but they outfit it for bigger $ and the public can't gain access to it. We must do something about this problem I spend lots of time writing emails and phone calls . State government is try to take the public out of public ground
Understood, and I agree. But we are still ambassadeurs to hunting and must use common sense and courtesy.

That being said, I assume MT is the same as WY... a lot of our politicians are ranchers, and they sure didn't run for office out of the "goodness of their hearts".

Absolutely legal it's not a wheeled vechile, I used one years ago to get to state land Ted Turner had land locked but they weren't none to happy
We are not allowed to use aircraft of any kind down here in WY. In Alaska a plane was the hunter's taxi service, but no helos were allowed. I am a little jealous, but glad for you.

Absolutely legal it's not a wheeled vechile, I used one years ago to get to state land Ted Turner had land locked but they weren't none to happy
I met Ted T in the late 90s. He is a real Eco Nut. He was a multi millionaire 10xs over. He would drive a old Ford Tempo with no Air Conditioning in HOT Atlanta. He would purchase large tracts of land out West and if there was an old home, buildings, roads, bridges, power lines he would have them removed and put back to natural state. I liked that about the land but he would not let anyone on the property. He hated Hunters!

Good morning Will. Is it legal use use helicopters for transporting your gear and hunting in MT? I understand that's off limits in WY.
Seems to me, depending on the type of land that he's landing on what kind of permit he'll need.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of our public lands being leased out to people for their personal gain.

Working in Gun shops in my youth I was able to hear many stories that were just plain wrong , based on complete inconsideration. It seems as though it is high time to make topics like this part of the class when the newbies take their three session Hunter Safety Classes. A dedicated 20 to 30 min discussion, with Q and A ,on Hunting /Shooting /Fence Climbing/ and going through Gates/Farmers Livestock ect . To many think the right to hunt also means it's their right to be irresponsible. NOT GOOD FOR OUR SPORT .

I’m glad the OP clarified it’s on public land. The OP should show this to the local public land office. Changing fences to not allow access is a no no by the permittee. What the individual should have posted is simply, “Please close the gate.”

I get the sympathy here for the rancher and lack of closing gates. Fine. I’ll be honest with you, ranchers get used to the idea that leased chuck of public land is their own.

I’m no hater of ranchers, quite the opposite. But, I’m no fan of public land glazing