Thinking of a new build and need advice on caliber

Thanks for those! Recoil doesn't look to bad with those breaks. How's the concussion from them? This isn't something that I'll ever shoot without ear protection lol, but I don't want the concussion causing problems (I've been around some guns that the concussion can cause slight dizziness/headaches)

If the nosler and Dakota arent horrible I wouldn't think a 338wm or a 375 ruger would be any worse (other than recoil impulse)

Does a short barreled, arm braced, "pistol" in either of those calibers seem reasonable to you?

With the Holland brake, the concussion to the shooter is not bad at all.
you can see the recoil, with me just shooting it one-handed, or the 13-year-old, so a brace is not gonna be a problem.
since I have never used a brace, I can't say that for sure, because I've never used one. But in a center grip or a rear grip specialty pistol it is not an issue at all.

Bullet weight, makes a difference in recoil, even with a brake . With my 338 Lapua improved center grip, the 250 grain bullets were a puff cake we're as the 300 grain load at just under 2700 ft./s was definitely more recoil but I still used the rifle scope with it

Ernie, you HAD or HAVE a 338 Win Mag XP-100 didn't you??? I thought I remember in a thread that you noted that you did.......it wasn't the 338 Allen as memory serves either.

Interesting to have Darrell Holland narrating as you shoot. I know his VOICE well.

Bullet weight, makes a difference in recoil, even with a brake . With my 338 Lapua improved center grip, the 250 grain bullets were a puff cake we're as the 300 grain load at just under 2700 ft./s was definitely more recoil but I still used the rifle scope with it

That's gotta be a fun time shooting a 338lm pistol lol.

Thanks for the closeup on the brake. I'd always thought the Holland radial brakes were the ones with all the holes in them. I have a couple of that style but have never been impressed with the recoil reduction. The ported ones like you show seem to work much better

Ernie, you HAD or HAVE a 338 Win Mag XP-100 didn't you??? I thought I remember in a thread that you noted that you did.......it wasn't the 338 Allen as memory serves either.

Interesting to have Darrell Holland narrating as you shoot. I know his VOICE well.

Darrell is a good friend. This was a day or two before the Wyoming Tactical Rifle Championship. We took 2nd place two years in a row. I shot the LR portion with my specialrty pistols, and Darrell shot the Carbine portion. It is a physically demanding roving course, where you have to find and then range all of your targets. Misses take away point.

Do research on the muzzle brakes. Some of the have the ports raking back towards the shooter. You do not want this.
Some brakes need to be timed to the barrel so the exhaust ports line up correctly. Unless you're a machinist, add about $100 to the cost of the brake so it is then timed correctly. There are also brakes that use crush washers or peel washers. Then there are brakes that use a stop nut. I'm going with the stop nut style brake, Quick Fire Muzzle Brake.

Hey, my comment of using the 375 JDJ was a result of a lack of reading comprehension! I blame it on the fact that I was distracted by my new Brittany puppy! Very interesting thread, I have quite a few TC contender and Encore barrels and frames, but no bolt action pistols. They're on my wish list!

Do research on the muzzle brakes. Some of the have the ports raking back towards the shooter. You do not want this.
Some brakes need to be timed to the barrel so the exhaust ports line up correctly. Unless you're a machinist, add about $100 to the cost of the brake so it is then timed correctly. There are also brakes that use crush washers or peel washers. Then there are brakes that use a stop nut. I'm going with the stop nut style brake, Quick Fire Muzzle Brake.

Thankfully I'm a machinist lol. It's the only way I can afford to play with custom(ish) guns!

I might actually need to make my own brake anyway, as I'd like to have the option of putting my suppressor on this thing and the taper mount brakes that are offered are not particularly aggressive. Only 2 small sets of openings

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.