Thieves Amongst Us

MSURunner

Sad to see this happening here in Billings. Looks like more and more folks are stealing these trophies, so stay vigilant folks! Protect yourself and, if buying used goods, ask the right questions. Remember, if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Even if you get the item in question, it may likely be someone's prized possession.

Last edited:
I was in the bad habit of leaving my archery gear up in the tree. Portable stands, quivers, even my bow on occasion. My decoy was layed down and buried with leaves while I was gone. I always hunted so far in the back that I never thought anyone would be there. I lost EVERTHING on more than one occasion. It took a real effort to get my stuff because I left no method to climb those trees.

I gave up that lazy practice but what really bothered me the most was the realization that only other hunters would be back there to find my gear. Why would one dedicated archer steal from another?

We have generations of people in our society that have never been punched in the mouth for being rude. The thought that they might face consequences for their actions never enters their mind. WE have done this, or allowed it to be done. When the most basic courtesy toward others is removed from society you get what we have, and more.

Yeah. I know it is a pain but EVERY time we stop at a hotel all valuables come inside. Scumbags target hotel parking lots because they know travelers have "free goodies" in their vehicles.
Sounds like a lesson learned the hard way.
With antlers selling for $18+ a pound, an elk rack will by a lot of drugs!

Yeah. I know it is a pain but EVERY time we stop at a hotel all valuables come inside. Scumbags target hotel parking lots because they know travelers have "free goodies" in their vehicles.
Sounds like a lesson learned the hard way.
With antlers selling for $18+ a pound, an elk rack will by a lot of drugs!
I had no idea they were sold by the pound. ***

Yeah at hotels everything valuable goes inside. In NM namely Albuquerque my truck has been broken into/ or rummaged through every time I stay at a hotel. Avoid them and camp out

They Cut the pedicels and sell them like sheds usually

I hate thieves and will never justify them.
But, to leave your gear in a duffle bag. $5000, worth of gear to be able to be grabbed is stupid also.

That is the exact reason I put a vortex and tasco sticker on my trucks window. No one will bother stealing from my truck.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I hate thieves and will never justify them.
But, to leave your gear in a duffle bag. $5000, worth of gear to be able to be grabbed is stupid also.

That is the exact reason I put a vortex and tasco sticker on my trucks window. No one will bother stealing from my truck.
Must be nice, all I have is a Tasco sticker!

I had no idea they were sold by the pound. ***
Yeah, it is a big thing here in the West. When we were moving into our new house and hadn't unpacked everything yet I went to town to get something and drove by a guy that was buying in an empty lot. Talked to him and ran home and got three tubs of whitetail antlers from deer I had killed in the past. Got almost $800 for them at $12 a lb. They subtract the estimated weight of skull plates. When I got home I saw two adds in the paper offering $15 a pound. They have gone up in price since.

We have generations of people in our society that have never been punched in the mouth for being rude. The thought that they might face consequences for their actions never enters their mind. WE have done this, or allowed it to be done. When the most basic courtesy toward others is removed from society you get what we have, and more.
I get what you're saying and don't disagree, but theft isn't a new thing. People have been stealing from, hurting, and killing one another since the beginning of time ... this is nothing new or isolated to current times.

The only thing I've ever left in the woods was a camera I thought was well hidden ... it wasn't. Stealing is just one thing I'll never understand, especially among a subset of like-minded people like hunters. You just have to accept that there are many lowlifes out there that don't give a rats behind about anything or anyone but themselves.

Another thing to consider taking out of your vehicle is all important papers like registration, insurance, warranty info. Learned that the hard way. Now I take photos of those in case I get stopped by law enforcement as well. Those documents typically have name, addresses, etc. on them that you really don't want a thief to have.

Recent Posts