The MOAG strikes again(1,066 yards)

goodgrouper

Had the fun opportunity to visit Montana this weekend and see some pretty country. Oh, and while I was there, I got to shoot a bison for icing on the cake. Took some extra landscape pictures to show some of you less fortunate types (easterners /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) what you're missing.

Here's the bison. THe 300 grain Mk flew well and had good results but it passed through so no pics of the fired bullet were possible. Dang!
buffalo.jpg

Here is a pic of the Madison river.
madison1.jpg

Another pic of the Madison:
madison2.jpg

Here is a mountain range just north of W. Yellowstone:
montana1.jpg

And here is a pic taken through the back window of my buddies truck of a valley that had probably 100 whitetails, 300 elk, 100 pronghorn, and a couple thousand bison (none of which are in the picture, sorry). I love Montana!
montana2.jpg

GG,
Congratulations!!!
Do I see two bullet holes just under 8" apart?
I know you speak singular. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif like one bullet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nice shootin' there Grizzly Adams! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm impressed that the bullet was a complete passthrough! Too bad - I would have liked to see a picture of it.

Nice job GG. (grizzly grouper?) You know I never thought about it but I don't exactly know where the vitals are on a bison. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm glad to see the MOAG has not been put in the closet since the 2k goal was reached.

GG,

Congratulations on your bison. Sounds like those 300 gr MK's do the job. Did you get a bull or a cow and what did it weigh?
Thanks for sharing your hunt and the scenic pictures. Beautiful country.

BTW, if you run out of freezer space, maybe you could have a few of us over for a buff BBQ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

JD338

[ QUOTE ]
Took some extra landscape pictures to show some of you less fortunate types (easterners ) what you're missing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not going to be missing it for long. College acceptance letters are starting to come and I will have the youngest one out of the house this fall. The question is whether there will be any money left for gas and bullets after tuition.

Just really beautiful country. Makes me want to get out my fly tying vise and start tying some up for the spring hatch.

That is a very nice shot and I am happy somebody got beyond a thousand yards this year.

GG, Fantastic shot, beautiful rifle. Since I am sort of new here I have to plead total ignorance of the 338 MOAG. I have concluded that it is a bad boy, but can you fill this dumb old man in on just what it is?.

Thanks and congratulation. You're smile describes the entire trip.

Thanks guys for your comments. Grizzly grouper, ha I like it!

Eaglet- actually, I don't know how that blood got so high up on the side. Probably from hanging upside down on the crane.

4ked horn- the vitals are fairly similair to any other ungulate except they are just way BIGGER! The gut pile alone must have weighed well over 200 pounds. I wouldn't be surprised if it was over 300 pounds. There is one difference in Bison over other ungulates. Their spine dips very low behind the shoulder blade. Often times, a mid height shoulder shot will also sever the spine (provided that the bullet used is one tough cookie!)

Jd338- This one was a cow and she weighed in over 1100 pounds on the hoof. Plenty of meat for a LRH summer Bar-b-que get together!

Buffalobob- From what I hear, the Madison river is THE premier fly fishing river in the west. Isn't it the river fished in the movie, "A River Runs Through It?" It is clear, cold, and looked like a good place to wet a fly, but I really wouldn't know. I only go fishing when I run out of bullets and that hasn't happened much yet!

Longaction- The MOAG is a 52 pound 338 lapua improved that my cousin was sorta responsible for naming. She was asking Brian B what the heck is that thing and Brian summed it up as the Mother Of All Guns of course! It just kinda stuck.

Hey Gris,

Awesome shootin', and great pics, as usual! Thanks for sharin' with the rest of us. Keep it up.

Barbecue sounds awesome! How about a barbecue and p-dog shoot? Maybe competitions and prizes. Big bonfire. I live here. Let's do it!

I'm sooooo jealous!!! It must be nice to raom around and kill everything in the western US. Great pics as usual. Congrats on a great shot.

Nice job. I was wondering what your estimated impact velocity was, and was any bone hit on the input side. Also how was the exit hole, is the hide mendable? Reason for asking is that I was considering shooting a buffalo with the same bullet, but didn't want to do too much damage to the hide.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.