The Grendel's are ready to smoke deer.

Unfortunately the hearing protection act will never pass. I've said from the beginning that you will never get the crooked politicians to vote their self outa 200 bucks per stamp. It's like trying to get people to vote themselves off welfare or farmers outa subsidy programs.
It will eventually, once Kavanaugh finally gets accepted to the SC, and Ruth Bader Gollum finally croaks so Trump can replace her vampiric old evil *** with someone who is conservative and pro-2A. Even with just the Kavanagh and Gorsuch nominations we should be leaning in a positive enough direction for it to pass right now. But another one or 2 conservative Constitutional respecting judges never hurts...Unless you're a Democrat. Then you run to your safe space crying like a b!tch. :D

Changing the upper parts probably will not help the accuracy of your BCA barrel. Go over to 6.5grendel.com join the forum and then go down to the "group buy" section. They have some good 20" barrels right now, Faxon or equal quality, for $149 plus shipping. Replace the bum BCA barrel.
I'm have a box of AR parts, so not a big deal, they're "Man Legos"! If I can't get 1 MOA, I sending it back home?!

I'm thinking of getting another barrel eventually. I want to see what I can do with this one before I spend a bunch of $ on a new barrel.

My Satern/Brownells 24" barrel shoots around 1.5" at 100 with factory Hornady 123 Amax ammo. Not ideal, but it shows that it has promise for when I try my handloads. Also, as soon as I built it, I realized the 24" barrel was a bit longer I was wanting, so I think I will upgrade sometime this year to the new Faxon 20" Match Heavy 6.5G barrel to see if I can get some more accuracy from it. Plus, I plan on running suppressed later, and the 20" will be shorter and stiffer than the 24" I have now.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the 120gr Speer Gold Dots on game yet? I'm really liking them as a cost effective all round bullet. They seat out much better than the other 120's, taking up very little case space. Accuracy has been very good as well. I'm planning on using them this year for deer, but always hate trying out new bullets when actually hunting.

The 6.5 120 Gold Dot is so new I have not seen anyone report on their use except from Federal factory ammo with 120 Fusion bullet which is supposed to actually be the Gold Dot from just a couple places on hogs which seemed to work well. But then again hogs and deer are not the same and some people think that if it does not DRT a hog then it is not a good bullet. In my book a good bullet is one that expands and penetrates at least to the off side hide and takes out the vitals and if it exits all the better. As I stated I will be using the 120 GD in one of my Grendel's this year for deer but the first one I will shoot with high shoulder shot to see what the bullet does.
As to barrel length it all depends on how you hunt and what your yardage expectation will be on it's use. As far as handling my 18" barrel handles better than my 20" barrel rifle. It also depends on which bullet and powder combo you use but on average you can realistically get around 50 fps more out of a 20 over a 18" barrel. But with my hand loads using different bullets of the same weight and even the same powder I can not use the same amount of powder with the different bullets. In the 20" BCA I use 120 GD and my accuracy with max acceptable comfortable pressure comes with 28 grs IMR 8208 and 2550 fps. With the 18" Oden Works barrel I will use 120 Sierra Pro Hunter with 28.5 grs IMR 8208 and it averages 2550 fps. I am not planning on having a shot over 200 yards where I will be hunting with these rifles and it will be out of shooting houses. Now if I was going to be expecting 500 yard shots from a shooting house situation I would want a 24" barrel and the best ballistic bullet I could get. If I will be walking around stalking hunting in the woods will be using my 18" barrel rifle because it handles better and is lighter. Again it is like playing golf, use the stick that will produce the shot you need.

I'm fairly interested in the performance of the GD's on medium game as well. I built a Grendel this spring and spent a lot of time with it through the summer. It's a half MOA rifle out to 600 yards. My cousin came to town and he used it to take a black bear at 40 yards, double lung, and two weeks later a friend and I went out for caribou and he made a heck of a shot on a bull quartering away at 450 yards. It went in right in the pocket and exited in front of the offside shoulder at the base of the neck, going through a rib, the top of the heart and a rib/breast bone in the process. Full penetration on both using Hornady factory ammo 123 grain SST.

Mine was purpose-built as a 600 yard medium game rifle. So far 450 is the longest but if need be I'll stretch that out.

Closing in on 1MOA :)... My chamber is sloppy AF! Almost .006-.007 sloppy! Reset dies with once fired Hornady brass and loaded up 2, 25 round test of A2520 & 8208XBR, in .3 grain increments, again, this time with 123 Nosler Custom Comps I have with way better results! The ammo can of Hornady American Gunner factory, all of a sudden started grouping sub-moa?! Still gonna swap to a new upper and a fresh cut lower, STAND BY...

Closing in on 1MOA :)... My chamber is sloppy AF! Almost .006-.007 sloppy! Reset dies with once fired Hornady brass and loaded up 2, 25 round test of A2520 & 8208XBR, in .3 grain increments, again, this time with 123 Nosler Custom Comps I have with way better results! The ammo can of Hornady American Gunner factory, all of a sudden started grouping sub-moa?! Still gonna swap to a new upper and a fresh cut lower, STAND BY...
Project potential realized!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.