TC Contender Gen 1 pistol

I have several frames and barrels in 7x30 waters, 44 mag, 375 Winchester, and 30 30. I shot a lot of whitetails and an antelope with the 7x30 waters, a few more with the 375 Winchester. I really never noticed the recoil. those short barrels are stiff and accurate. The 44 is really accurate and would shoot better than my Ruger 44-77 bolt action rifle.
I used a 120 grain ballistic tip for the 7x30 waters.

I'm thinking about getting a .30-.30 barrel can't decide whether to get a 10",12" or a 14"
Are the ballistics that much different from these three barrels?

I'm thinking about getting a .30-.30 barrel can't decide whether to get a 10",12" or a 14"

The .30-30 is my favorite hunting cartridge and the one I have killed most of my handgun deer with. I have owned and used all those lengths. My personal favorite is a TC Custom Shop Hunter barrel that measures 13 1/8" including the Muzzle Tamer, a good friend reamed the chamber from .30 Herrett to the .30-30 AI. I have a friend that swears by the 10" and he kills a lot of deer with it. My best friend uses and loves the 14". The only one I would shy away from is the old 10" octagon barrel if you are recoil sensitive! My first Contender came with a 10" octagon barrel, I bought it on my 21st birthday in 1979 and I killed my first handgun deer with it a few days later. Any length will work and I have shot deer out to around 150 yards with my current barrel with no issues.

The .30-30 is my favorite hunting cartridge and the one I have killed most of my handgun deer with. I have owned and used all those lengths. My personal favorite is a TC Custom Shop Hunter barrel that measures 13 1/8" including the Muzzle Tamer, a good friend reamed the chamber from .30 Herrett to the .30-30 AI. I have a friend that swears by the 10" and he kills a lot of deer with it. My best friend uses and loves the 14". The only one I would shy away from is the old 10" octagon barrel if you are recoil sensitive! My first Contender came with a 10" octagon barrel, I bought it on my 21st birthday in 1979 and I killed my first handgun deer with it a few days later. Any length will work and I have shot deer out to around 150 yards with my current barrel with no issues.
Thanks for the info I appreciate it
I too am a youngster
I turned 21 in 1978 😁

I've got a original contender with a 10 in 30 GNR barrel-that one is a handful for sure with 168 grain pills and several others but one of my favorites is the 7 mm tcu barrel, I've killed elk, bear and mulies with it in a 14 inch barrel. I use it for silhouettes out to 300 meters

IMO I would get a 14", up to you. The 30-30AI will give you rifle ballistics in the 14" barrel. I've also toyed with the idea of a 7mmGNR, but the 7-30 I have works fine as is.

My best contender animal. A 325 yard mule deer. 7-30 waters 14". I have also taken a few elk with one. They are highly functional in the field and no where near as heavy as the bolt action handguns.
View attachment 587858
Great deer! What bullet are you using in 7-30?

I have the 7-30 W, 30 Herrett, 17 HMR and 375 JDJ. I cannot believe I used to hunt deer with the 375 JDJ when the 30 H or 7-30 W do it with much more reasonable bark!

I got hooked on JDJ barrels some 30 years ago. I did start off on a 16 inch 30-30 that knocked down numerous Colorado Mule deer and Antelope using a 125 gn Nosler BT. After countless hours researching which barrel would fit my type of hunting, I chose the JDJ 309. After getting the right load for barrel, I was surprised by the accuracy and effectiveness. I have taken numerous antelope, mule deer, a caribou and elk with this caliber.