TC Contender Gen 1 pistol

Contenders are one those guns that grow and reproduce in the safe! 😉 Multiple barrels lead to Multiple frames and more barrels. I'm actually putting together a compact rifle setup on one of mine and seeing what kind of accuracy I can milk out of it.....probably in 309 or 338 jdj.
I have 22 K hornet, 30 herrett, 257 tcu, 309 jdj, 338 jdj#2 in pistol length and 357 in rifle. All of them are very accurate, though some took a bit of playing with to get there. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours, Good luck!

My father and brother both shoot Contenders in various calibers from 223 Rem to 35 Rem. I have the newer version, the Encore, with barrels in 223 Rem and 308 Win. When I tell people I shoot a 308 pistol, they say, "don't you mean 380?", lol. I've shot a bunch of critters with my Encore over the years. Everything from Prairie Dogs and Coyotes to deer. Tons of fun. The 110gr V-Max at over 3000fps makes a fireball like the sun out of a 15" barrel but really does a number on Prairie Dogs.

I have a few barrels. My favorite is a oncore in 338 mag, and yes it's a hand cannon! It shoots 185 Barnes bullet at 2850, 160 Barnes at 3150 fps. Took a bison in montana with it.

Attachments

• 20200428_121433.jpg
    20200428_121433.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 39
I had a 7-30 Waters and on firing the action would pop open and eject the cartridge into your face, TC took care of it though. then got a 16 barrel in 45-70 the most intense recoil I have ever had, worst than my 458 Lott and by the time I fired 2 shots the forearm ripped the studs out of the dove tails in the barrel, TC replace the barrel but it happened again so had a friend weld the studs in place

Been shooting Contenders since the late 70's. Had a 41 Mag Super 14 that I loved. 4X Leupold and with cast bullets wasn't bad to shoot at
all. Then 375 JDJ not fun but not BAD either. Then came a 45/70 and I agree, I could get No Joy from shooting that one. Then a close friend of mine, who I lost to Covid, talked me into a 444 Marlin. So we sent JD Jones a 10 inch factory 44 mag barrel to be rechambered. When we got it back we installed it on a frame. With open sights and factory grips it WAS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE PISTOL I have EVER SHOT. IT HURT. Recoil muzzle blast, it had it all.

Now I much prefer the light recoil and deadly accuracy of my 20 TAC & 20 Vartarg. If I do my part they make an old man look like a good shot LOL
Safe shooting
Doug

How is the accuracy and recoil?
Recoil is not bad at all. I've shot the 41 mag. for so many years I hardly pay attention to it. As for accuracy I have shot many sub 1" groups with the T/C, most average around 2" or less. @100 yards. The Ruger SRH will average around 3" or less @ 100 yards with the load it likes. The T/C is more forgiving as to what it will shoot accurately. Both guns will shoot cast and jacketed bullets equally well. The T/C has a 10" barrel the Ruger 7 1/2". Never had an animal get away from a well placed shot from a 41Magnum.

I loved my 309 JDJ and my 375JDJ. Both were SSK customs . After I got arthritis in my wrist and was headed for bone graft surgery I sold them both. , I still have my 22 LR , 45-410 , and 223 barrels. My son learned to shoot on the 22 LR and the nice thing about that was the fact that it was so hard for him to open he only shot around 20 rounds each session instead of running clip after clip through a 10-22 .