SURGEON GUN ACTIONS

6.5x284 is the gun that I want to have built but was going to do some hunting with it and wanted a gun with a magazine but I think the long action is in 338lapua mag so I might go with the single shot short action.Thanks for the info on the actions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

beforenafter.jpg

I just wanted to post some pictures of how the Surgeon actions are made, the first pic is a before and after pic the 10-1/2" long pc of 4340 round stock on the left comes in to the shop 20ft long. This makes the action to the right of it. It is around 15 lbs or so when it starts out and winds up under 2 lbs. The bolt on the right is already started but you can see it comes in as retangle stock and is machined to make a bolt 1 pc instead of the multiple pc bolt like the Rem.The mill in the back ground is turning 12000RPM and cutting at 240 inches per min on a action that has already been heatreated to 40hrc. We do all the finish machine after heatreat.
survrsrem.jpg

This is a pic of the Rem beside the Surgeon. The one pc design makes it a lot stiffer. The inside of the action is cut out using a wire EDM. This cost around $300 to do vrs $15 to have the inside broached. But the broach can't keep up with the accuracy of a EDM. This is why we feel ours is as straight and true as any out there.
readytoship.jpg

This is a pc of actions in the inspection area. We sold mostly to the tactical comunity untill someone got the bright idea that a single shot would make a neat F class gun. The "Target" model has a larger bolt diameter and is not designed to be in a dirty enviroment. With the Target model we set a record in tulsa with the F class gun on the front page of our website. 600 53X This was with the larger targets 1 moa x ring, before they reduced the size of the x ring to 1/2moa.
forsale.jpg

This is a pic of some tactical rifles we built.
We are going to build some long range hunting rifes. .243 1-8 twist and 6.5 1-8.5 twist. in the next few months.
prestonskmw.jpg

Personal 260 Ackley Imp on portable benchrest.
Let me know what you guys want to see and I will try to get you a picture or if you have any questions let me know.
Thanks for your time
Preston Pritchett
www.surgeonrifles.com
405-567-0183

[ QUOTE ]
Let me know what you guys want to see and I will try to get you a picture or if you have any questions let me know

[/ QUOTE ]

Left handed actions

d-a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Round top hunting actions.
A round top action is simple to make and the cost would be reduced but you are back to a Rem or Nesika or a GAP etc. We made the recoil lug, bolt stop, scope rail, anti jam rail onto the action to cure almost all of the problems the others have. So if worse case and your in the military, LE or on a hunting trip on top of a mountain and you slip on a rock and the rifle hits the dirt you still don't have to worry about little screws holding your scope rail. The scope rail on top increases the stiffness of the repeater version of our action past the stiffness of a Rem 40X single shot. If you look at the stiffness of our single shot it is past almost any action out there. If you spent a thousand or so for a hunting trip or your life is on the line, is it worth the extra $ to know that you have the straightest most rugged action that you can get? If cost is the issue look at what you will have in a nesika after you buy a scope rail and recoil lug. Look at the price of a trued up rem with the price of the parts to go with it. If you will try to get it as close to ours as you can you still have more $ in it with a stock trigger than ours with a jewell. We have a cost comparison on our website of this. I know cost was not brought up on the forum but for the life of me I cant understand why people are still tricking out a rem. After they get it completed it is still a rem and the value of it if you ever do want to sell it is nowhere close to what a aftermarket rifle is worth.
Sorry for the rambeling I will get off of my soap box. I guess it is because we feel we are doing our best on quality and price and still have tire kickers call and want you to get it to the price of a rem or savage etc. We have almost 12 hrs in our action where you will can get it down to less than a hr on a round broached action.

We are going to take a few of the actions and mill off the middle of the scope rail leaving the front and the back of the scope rail. This will reduce some of the weight. And still have mounts that you don't have to worry about. Is this what you want in a hunting rifle?
As for the LH it is something we want to do in the future but we don't know when that will be. As for now we are selling the actions before they are completed.
www.surgeonrifles.com

prestonpritchett
I would have no problem paying in advance and waiting on a left handed action. If that is feasabile for you.

d-a

Hi Preston, good to see you on here..
but get off here and find a way to get some of these actions exported to me.. !!!! then get to the drawing board, draw up a long action, a stainless action and a left handed action. We'll keep you busy mate !!!

best regards.
Pete Lincoln
Roedale Precision

D A
Thanks for the offer but its getting the time to do it is the problem. The people we talked to said we would only sell 3 LH for every 97 RH. Acording to the email % we have been geting asking for LH this % is not correct.
Pete
It is good to see your name also. Sinclair International received 1 Target and 1 Tactical around 2-22. They set down once a week to evaluate potential items for there mag. I have called twice and both times the guy I needed to talk to was on the phone. We are hoping this goes thru because they would help on the advertisement side. If this doesn't go thru there is a exporter in Chicago and we will get this going. Keep kicking me in the tail because it makes me run faster.
Almost forgot. The long action prototype, the metal was heatreated to 40 HRC the first operation is done on the mill and the fixture is made to hold it for the wire machine. We will try to get it wired in the next few weeks.
Thanks
Preston

I like the way your action is made and I like the base milled as one piece with the action.I would like the base left as is and I am interested in one of the long actions.

Hi Preston,

You kindly answered a question or two about your action on another forum for me. The problem is that I live in Europe. If you could get a supply going to Pete that would be FANTASTIC. I only want one action....for now but I know there would be a ALOT of interest in it here but people like feely-touchy before buying.

Best regards,

David.

[Let me know what you guys want to see ]

I want to see one of your actions in my safe ¡¡¡
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Preston, now serious, I´m also in touch with Pete for at least a new rifle based on your actions.

Let´s see if you can work out this export thing.

Thanks for your kind answer to my mail this week.

Jaime.

Today is the 3rd. I called them this morn and the guy I needed to talk to was in a meeting hopfully trying to figure out what they want to do. If we don't know by the 10th I will call the export guy in Chicago and we will go this way.
Thanks
Preston

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.