SURGEON GUN ACTIONS

waylon

I've been looking at one of their action and was woundering if the action are good or just build on a rem. They say that theirs are about 30% stronger and ready to build on .

I would say they are MUCH better then the ordinary Rem action!!+ on more !

Is straight or square if you like, right from the factory, and is in on piece. You get the same thing as you would if you buy a remington, and add pices.

I would buy, Surgeon, GAP 7000, Bordens new action, Stiller, and in that order.

Surgeon is one piece = +++ you just attach a barrel and stock
Gap 700 = ++(+) you can buy a Badger DBM with it for the same pric as a Surgeon, but not in one piece
Borden = ++ you get a floor plate and everything else you need to build
Stiller = +(+) much better then a remington (MUCH better), but you need to buy a floorplate, magazinebox, so it will cost 2-300$ more to complete

I will NEVER buy another new factory Remington, because these custom actions are on the market!

First of, I want quality! Then there are something called owner pride.. You feel much better when you buy the best there is!!

I can't say that had any experience with the surgeon action, but I've stopped by and took a look at their actions. If I were going to build around a short action I would go with the surgeon. I like the idea of having the scope rail/recoil lug as one. To help justify the additional cost of the surgeon, you won't have to spend $50 for the recoil lug or $150 for the tactical style scope rail. Correct me if I'm wrong but you could switch the barrels out easily with the surgeon action since the recoil lug is fixed.

Personally, I'm waiting for them to come out with their action based on the 338 lapua.

norham,

george will not sell you just the action, you have to order a whole gun. he is talking about selling barrelled actions in the future.

distant,

you could make it a switch barrell

d-a

I've been emailing them and there about to finish up a long action in just a few weeks.

d-a: I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but who would be better to build your the rifle. I would probably go with the GAP 7000, and include the Badger DBM.

definatly nothing wrong with george building it. just didn't know if he had a lathe to do the barrel work himself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I will start a new post on the GA 7000 action for those interested. The Surgeon looks like a winner, maybe when they bring it out in the Lapua...
I hear it calling me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

50 BMG,
I do my own (and others) machine work and work in the .0001 to .0002 area frequently, so I know precision when I see it.
I went by Surgeon Rifles shop to have a first hand look at one of their actions. I had no intentions of buying an action but wanted to see how they got the degree of accuracy that they apparently were getting.
The owner, Preston Pritchett, is one of the nicest people you will ever meet and has a wealth of knowledge about accurate machining in general.
I was in his machine shop for about 20 minutes and Preston was showing and explaining to me his machining methods before I asked him if he had an action that I could buy. It was just one of those times that we guys have when we see something that looks and feels right and we do it even though we know the wife will not approve.
I have a 1:8.5 twist Krieger Barrel ordered for it and will order a stock shortly.
I also would have liked to have the long action for the 6.5x284 but I single shot my rifles anyways so it's not going to matter.
I think the built-in rail (with 20 moa) on the action is a plus and it takes one more variable out of the shooting equation. I also had Preston send the bolt to have it coated with the oversized bolt handle (another good option).
All in all, it is an impressive action. If you ever get one in your hands you will see for yourself.
Do a Google search with his name and you will find some others comments also.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.