Success in Colorado

338weatherby

Finally was able to harvest a bull in Colorado this year. It was a small rag (4x3) but I worked for it.

My hunting buddy and I got to the trailhead on Thursday morning at 7:00 prior to the opener. We had checked out possible locations on OnX for camp and headed in. We found a nice location by the creek 5 miles in and near where we had E scouted for possible glassing/hunting locations. That afternoon we were able to catch a small bull (4x3) and 6 cows coming out of the timber before they saw us. We crouched behind the burnt blow downs and watched them for about 30-40 minutes. The little guy was trying to mount the cows but they would just walk away, kind of funny to watch. We chirped a cow call and almost instantly a larger bull bugled from the timber. He never showed himself. That evening there were multiple bugles to be heard will in the tent. Got up early and hiked about 2 miles over and up a drainage to the top of a burn. Caught a nice 5x5 out at 1:00pm with a cow and calf, that was Friday. Pretty excited hitting the hay that night expecting a bull in the morning. We got to our spot up the drainage and to the top by 5:00am and about 50 feet from where we had planned to sit and wait for first lite, we blew them out just below us. What a bummer, they ran down the slope into the open drainage. We heard at least 2-3 different bulls bugle after about 5 minutes. As the sun came up, all were gone. The next few days we saw cows. The last two mornings I hit a spot about a mile from camp. The second to last day I got there about 20 minutes too late and caught their silhouettes across the top as they were leaving. Not going to make that mistake again, I got there at 6:00 the last morning. As soon as I could just slightly see through my binos I started glassing. Hard to see much other than brighter grasses and darker patches. As time passed I saw a light/dark combo and watched it. No movement. Came back to it about 5 minutes later, still same thing. I checked one more time and it split on me. Two elk, nice. Now I had to wait for sun up to see what they were. I had another 15 minutes or so just looking for horns then trying to count points. He wasn't big so I had to be sure. I saw the 3 on each side and thought I was screwed. He finally turned just right and a could see the double eye guard, same bull I saw on Thursday. I ranged him at 318 and let the 220 Berger fly out of the 30N. I aimed high shoulder not wanting it to move and he flopped in his tracks. I saw him struggle to get up twice. Seeing that I pulled up the binos and while looking at him, I ranged again. ****, said 450 this time? I started thinking maybe I hit low now since I dialed for 318. So I dialed 450 and watched him through the crosshairs. He pushed up one more time on his front legs exposing neck. I let one go and that was it. Turns out, he was at 318, first shot shattered spine and cavity was filled with blood. The 2nd shot was dead center of skull. We stayed out for 6 days and didn't have enough food to stay another so had to pack out the meat and camp in two trips. That 2nd trip was killer. It was probably one of my favorite seasons, learned a lot and met two good guys out hunting solo as well.

My biggest concern on this one was my 2nd reading with the binos. I just wasn't steady enough to lase him behind the deadfall and he was uphill. I obviously ranged past him into the timber.

2024 elk.jpeg