Subsonic 6.5 PRC loads?

lupis

I just purchased a suppressor for my 6.5prc. I am interested in experimenting with some subsonic loads. I'm not having much success in finding any data for subsonic loads. Has anyone tried this, or know of any place that I can get some load data?

300blk is the best subsonic host in standard size. 8.6 blackout if you wanna step up
Agreed. These cartridges are designed around subsonic use and loads. I am by no means a subsonic expert, but when I've loaded for my 300 BO subs, It's very similar to loading for a pistol cartridge…which makes sense as you're pushing a heavy bullet at slow speeds…like a pistol.

I've been interested in the folks running subs through a .308 win. It seems like you would need to set up the rifle just for subs though to be able to shoot heavies at low speeds? Meaning you need a fast twist barrel like a 1:7? At that point, I'd stick with the 300 BO as it works in a normal AR frame, uses very little powder to shoot around that 1050 mark, and is still pushing a .30 cal projectile. I'd rather use the .308 for medium range work. But that me…

The only bolt gun I have for subs OTHER THAN 300 BLK is a custom built 308.
It's 16" with an 8 twist and long throated to shoot 230gr bullets.
Its a fun gun to hang on to because it can do everything 300 blk can do...and more. That said...I wouldn't do it again.

Subs are fun, but a dedicated cartridge and system for them is where it's at...and a PRC is NOT it.

20241005_082319.jpg

The only bolt gun I have for subs OTHER THAN 300 BLK is a custom built 308.
It's 16" with an 8 twist and long throated to shoot 230gr bullets.
Its a fun gun to hang on to because it can do everything 300 blk can do...and more. That said...I wouldn't do it again.

Subs are fun, but a dedicated cartridge and system for them is where it's at...and a PRC is NOT it.

View attachment 607110
What powder and charge are you using for your 308 load?

Your going to be using a lot of powder for a sub-sonic in the 6.5 PRC....compared to smaller case capacity ones....
Sub-sonic loads work the best with smaller cases.....unless you can find a powder that fills the case close to 90%.....plus finding a good bullet for a 6.5 that will work for hunting might be a hard one....

A good round is the 308 and using TrailBoss close to a full case using 220 gr. bullets....only problem is TrailBoss is no long being made and I don't know when its going to be made again....

Remember smaller cases will be quiter than a larger one shooting sub-sonic....300 BO is one of the best also 8.6 BO is also tops.....

Your going to be using a lot of powder for a sub-sonic in the 6.5 PRC....compared to smaller case capacity ones....
Sub-sonic loads work the best with smaller cases.....unless you can find a powder that fills the case close to 90%.....plus finding a good bullet for a 6.5 that will work for hunting might be a hard one....

A good round is the 308 and using TrailBoss close to a full case using 220 gr. bullets....only problem is TrailBoss is no long being made and I don't know when its going to be made again....

Remember smaller cases will be quiter than a larger one shooting sub-sonic....300 BO is one of the best also 8.6 BO is also tops.....
Thanks for all the input! Everything y'all said is spot on… that being said , back in the day, loading reduced (what they were called then) loads were fairly common place. I was just checking to see if anyone still did this.. thanks again!

Recent Posts