Subsonic.308 for hogs

Barrel length and twist has everything to do with Subs in a .308.

My R700 5R uses a whole separate Sub load versus my 17" 1/7 twist .308 barrel.

I'm running 220gr SMK's and 190Gr SMK's , issues have been keyholing with my 24" barrel 1/11.25 twist R700.. that will baffle strike a can real fast!!!

You will have to test your loads for keyholing and see what your gun likes.

My short barrel uses 16.3 gr of 4895 seated at 2.546" using 190 SMK and ita a sub MOA all day long, it's 1043 fps.

Stay under 1052 fps for subs and it will be like a rabbit farting.

Trailboss is what I use for my short barrel as well, 12.5 gr. Again just test, gets expensive testing. 🙃

Admittedly not hogs, but I have killed 7 1000-1100# bison with 308 win and subsonic 147 fmj-bt. Farthest shot was 10 yds. If the bullet hit brain, then lights went out. If not, then not. Obviously bullet expansion was not a factor. I shoot lots of cast bullets; unless a very soft alloy or pure-ish lead are used, no expansion occurs. Throw a jacket in the mix and expect less expansion. You may find that placement is the whole game in this case.

It is certainly possible to shoot .308 subs, but you will find that most of the bullets that are tailored for subsonic performance will struggle with the twist rate on most .308 rifles. Furthermore, if you are planning on going back from subs to supers the POA/POI is a challenge as well. If it's a possibility, can you take two rifles with you on the hunt and take a subsonic .300 blk (assuming you got a .30 cal can) and a .308 for the deer?

One of my favorite suppressor hosts is a Cva scout takedown, 16" barrel that is incredible accurate and be broken down and thrown in a backpack to take out to the stand. When I picked up mine it was 350 dollars or so, and a whole lot of fun to shoot.

It is certainly possible to shoot .308 subs, but you will find that most of the bullets that are tailored for subsonic performance will struggle with the twist rate on most .308 rifles. Furthermore, if you are planning on going back from subs to supers the POA/POI is a challenge as well. If it's a possibility, can you take two rifles with you on the hunt and take a subsonic .300 blk (assuming you got a .30 cal can) and a .308 for the deer?

One of my favorite suppressor hosts is a Cva scout takedown, 16" barrel that is incredible accurate and be broken down and thrown in a backpack to take out to the stand. When I picked up mine it was 350 dollars or so, and a whole lot of fun to shoot.
Oh like that idea. A CVA scout with a 16" barrel in .300 blk would be sweet. Think I've given up on the .308 idea and really moved on to a .300 blk.

Oh like that idea. A CVA scout with a 16" barrel in .300 blk would be sweet. Think I've given up on the .308 idea and really moved on to a .300 blk.
This also opens up your opportunities for versatility. A 90 gr xtp over trail boss makes a great small game load.

Ok problem solved. Bought a .300 blk CVA scout with a 16" barrel. Being single shot it's short at only 34" total. It was only like $359 by the time I was all said and done. Grabbed a set of dues some CFE blk powder and a couple hundred pieces of brass. I've got a leupold VX freedom with a fire dot reticle sitting in the safe I can throw on top of it.

Ok problem solved. Bought a .300 blk CVA scout with a 16" barrel. Being single shot it's short at only 34" total. It was only like $359 by the time I was all said and done. Grabbed a set of dues some CFE blk powder and a couple hundred pieces of brass. I've got a leupold VX freedom with a fire dot reticle sitting in the safe I can throw on top of it.
What's the twist rate on it?

Good choice on the 300blk. Shot placement is going to be key with the subs. They scatter no matter what you shoot them with but.....BUT..... if you shoot the alpha sow in the sounder you have about a 65% chance they will scatter and then return. My record is 9. I've shot 9 hogs from the same deer blind in one morning with a bolt action 25-06 in about 2hrs. All the stars aligned in that situation and I've never been able to get more than 3 since that day even at extended ranges.

Those will not expand if you were hoping for expansion. Weight and frontal area are your friends with rifle subsonics.
Goals for this rifle will be 1.) fun to shoot 2.) headshots on hogs, varmints and pests only.

I figure in the blind I'll just carry two rifles. It's not like I ever have to walk more than 100 yards in this scenario. I can keep my 7-08ai in the blind for serious work and the .300blk for specific things.

I've been looking at those CVA single shots myself in 300blk. I think that rifle would be a perfect candidate for a hyperion direct thread and subs from bow stand type ranges. Plus it's small enough to hide from the wife lol
I will be hiding mine! I'll also tell her it's for the kids when she finds it. Although to be honest it might be a perfect kid rifle.