Stink Badger Hunt

memtb

I'm not certain this classifies as hunting……especially "fair-chase" hunting. However, there were numerous challenges!

We've been having regular nightly visits from a "stripped bandit" to our back porch …..helping himself to our catfood.

Some of the challenges were: he only visited after midnight, the necessity of a headlamp (some think of this as unfair), waiting for a clear/safe shot (shooting him while on the porch is not recommended), when approached he would hide behind the cat boxes (waiting him out was futile…..he had more time than I) carefully moving the boxes with a hoe while hoping he didn't take the offensive, 2 failed attempts while he went down the steps only to watch him quickly drop into the basement window well (again, he could stay there longer than I could wait).

The Final Chapter: This morning @ approximately 01:00 hrs, my wife woke me, telling me that our "unwanted guest" has activated our back porch camera.

I quickly dressed (mostly) grabbing my rifle and my headlamp, slipping out the door to attempt another stalk. As expected he was easily seen, then would repeat the previous methods his of escape.

As I moved the boxes, forcing his move. He quickly (well, as quickly as he could move) moved across the porch to his only egress, down the stairs, taking a hard left using his proven escape route toward the window well.

However this time, I was better prepared! As he made his turn crossing 6 feet of sidewalk (choosing to not potentially "bounce" a bullet off of the concrete), the shot was made immediately as he stepped off of the sidewalk.

As he was now going straight away, I was offered the shot that I've been forced to take more times than I like…….My famous "Texas Heart-Shot"! At "trigger break" a small flame erupted from the muzzle of my Nylon 66 temporarily obscuring my target. The Remington 36 grain HP found it's mark…….he fell, completely motionless.

As I carefully circled around my kill, I was greeted with the pungent odor that only a "Stink Badger" can produce.

I grabbed a square-point shovel to transport my trophy from beneath the porch edge. When going upstairs to tell my wife of my hunting prowess, she (very pleasantly 😂) suggested that I remove my clothing, throw them outside.

The clear puddle beneath my trophy apparently was "NOT" blood. I mixed a "witch's brew" of chemicals to pour on the "clear liquid" puddle……hoping/praying that it would neutralize the aroma it was producing.

Mostly successful with my "neutralizing" potion, only a mild smell of "Stink Badger" perfume entered the house vented soffits …..providing us with long lasting memories of my hunting adventure! 😜 memtb

Last edited:
I felt pretty comfortable that that cartridge selection would not endanger my neighbors…… should I have a ricochet.

Though, I do have some regrets with my rifle choice …….No Muzzle Brake, No Flash Suppression, and lastly No Sound Suppression!

These issues "MUST" be addressed! 😂😜 memtb

Calvin45

As you brought bullets into your very successful elk hunt, I kinda went with both with my bullet selection.

Using a mono at what is considered to be a typical weight for a cup and core……pushed to a pretty high velocity. Perhaps the best of both worlds!

And again, Congratulations and love your story! 👍 memtb

Been there - done that numerous times. Finally resorted to baited life trap, cover with old blanket and dump trap into water tank.

I wanted to do that…..but didn't want to trap him on the porch. I put my trap out in the yard where I could see that he'd been working. Two plus weeks and he never he never took the bait…..pun intended! 😉 memtb