• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Speer I think.. 6.5 140 gr Bonded factory seconds

Even of I cant get them to shoot great, I have a place with a 150 yard max shot on a whitetail. I figure they should shoot good enough for that, and just target practice at 20 cents a bullet

I was surprised they lasted along as they did must have been a bunch of them in inventory I would bet some will show up here for sale as they might not shoot well in some rifles
My early checking showed approximately 115 thousand of these on hand at Midway when the first post showed up here.

well I guess I got about 1.75 percent then, that aint hoarding I think we placed our first order a couple days before it showed up here as I think my son was shooting them already when I told him about them I am always a couple days behind

Last edited:
Bullet sorting.jpg

Midway called them "seconds", i think NOS may be a better title. Just finished the first sort for BTO and feel they are pretty good (real good for the price).
Here are initial results;
20 short culls between .689 & .692
121 between .693 & .694
221 between .695 & .696
135 between .697 & .698
4 long culls between .699 & .702
5% "cull" isn't bad in my book, especially for 25 cent bullets. Im retired so you cant add in the time required to wipe the HBN off 501 bullets!
Messy, slippery little son-of-a-guns.

View attachment 242901
Midway called them "seconds", i think NOS may be a better title. Just finished the first sort for BTO and feel they are pretty good (real good for the price).
Here are initial results;
20 short culls between .689 & .692
121 between .693 & .694
221 between .695 & .696
135 between .697 & .698
4 long culls between .699 & .702
5% "cull" isn't bad in my book, especially for 25 cent bullets. Im retired so you cant add in the time required to wipe the HBN off 501 bullets!
Messy, slippery little son-of-a-guns.
Outstanding information for you to pass along. Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Is it to be expected that the HBN won't be completely removed by wiping them off? I would make the assumption that Speer would coat them to reduce pressure spikes, knowing that the HBN would be rubbed off in handling during loading. It would lead me to believe that just enough stays on the bullets to reduce the pressures, even if it appears to be gone from the bullets.

Is it to be expected that the HBN won't be completely removed by wiping them off? I would make the assumption that Speer would coat them to reduce pressure spikes, knowing that the HBN would be rubbed off in handling during loading. It would lead me to believe that just enough stays on the bullets to reduce the pressures, even if it appears to be gone from the bullets.
Interesting point. I wondered myself how much time I was going to spend in trying to thoroughly remove this. Depending on the answers to this question, I may do a light wipe down.

What's the differences between HBN and molly ? I know molly is hard to remove from the barrel once it has been used.

Did some loading& chrono work today in my 6.5x06. E.R,Shaw 24" stainless bbl, 1/8 twist. I used this rifle because has always produced excellent accuracy with just about any bullet I wish to use in it. Win brass, CCI #250 mag primers & REL 26 powder. Started at 55grs & got a slow 2910 fps. Worked up to 58.5 grs for 3122fps. ( 24"Bbl. not 26" ) SD aound 10 fps. Bullets loaded about .020 off. Primers still had very rounded edges . Case extracted easily. Not the slightest sign of over pressure. I would say I could easily go up another 1gr., but with this level of performance from a 24" bbl I decided to stay here. Accuracy was on par with any other bullets I have used. Usuall sub 1/2" groups. My only regret is that I didn't buy 1000.

Last edited:
Did some loading& chronowork today in my 6.5x06. E.R,Shaw 24" stainless bbl, 1/8 twist. I used this rifle because has always produced excellent accuracy with just about any bullet I wish to use in it. Win brass, CCI #250 mag primers & rel 22 powder. Started at 55grs & got a slow 2910 fps. Worked up to 58.5 grs for 3122fps. ( 24"Bbl. not 26" ) SD aound 10 fps. Bullets loaded about .020 off. Primers still had very rounded edges . Case extracted easily. Not the slightest sign of over pressure. I would say I could easily go up another 1gr., but with this level of performance from a 24" bbl I decided to stay here. Accuracy was on par with any other bullets I have used. Usuall sub 1/2" groups. My only regret is that I didn't buy 1000.
Thank you for passing that along. Building out my hopes for what I thought would only be used for kids and low expectation loadings.

These things are definitely slippery. Savage Ultralite 6.5CM w/ 22" PROOF 1:8 barrel. Started with 45.5gr RL26 at 2567fps, and I got up to 48 grains with zero *standard* overpressure signs a the Speer suggested COAL of 2.700 and only 2716fps via magnetospeed. Using BR-2 primers, and they appear more round than the factory hornady primers in my once-fired ELD-M brass. This HBN (assuming that's what it is) must be really, really slick.

Recent Posts