Smelly Elk Meat

Hikinghunter

Had a successful elk hunt, so I have a bunch of meat! Only problem, I think we got a good bit of bile and such on the meat. I didn't see it being gutted and quartered (my hunting partner did that while I was packing our stuff and the meat back to the truck), but it the meat has a pretty pungent smell. Not a rotten meat smell, more like an elk wallow.

I washed it off as best I could when we got back to camp, and I asked the butcher to do what they could, but I expect it'll still be pretty gamey. Is there anything I can do to help with the smell/flavor when I cook it? I'm not a big spice guy, so I'm hoping there's ways other than curry powder.

Had a successful elk hunt, so I have a bunch of meat! Only problem, I think we got a good bit of bile and such on the meat. I didn't see it being gutted and quartered (my hunting partner did that while I was packing our stuff and the meat back to the truck), but it the meat has a pretty pungent smell. Not a rotten meat smell, more like an elk wallow.

I washed it off as best I could when we got back to camp, and I asked the butcher to do what they could, but I expect it'll still be pretty gamey. Is there anything I can do to help with the smell/flavor when I cook it? I'm not a big spice guy, so I'm hoping there's ways other than curry powder.
Try marinating ? I would love to try to make a Sauerbraten from a elk roast. It takes a few weeks of marinating to do it right. That is with beef. There are recipes that don't require marinating. I prefer the marinating with wine. And the brown gravy.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/articles/important-tips-for-marinating-wild-game

Last edited:
Wash it all down in a container of
White Apple Cider.....

Mix it with Smoked Bacon...
10# of elk to 1# of the bacon....
Best is to have it cut into pieces small enough to go through the grinder...grinds down cleanest when semi-frozen....
Same with the bacon.....
Savor the smells when cooking....
Savor the flavor when eating....

I killed a big Sika, full rut coming out of a wallow covered in mud. When I got to him, he smelled like a billy goat. Sika are cousins to and genetically compatible with elk. Kind of personal pan sized elk. By the time I got him loaded up and then cleaned and iced down, I smelled like rut funk myself. I thought there is no way we are eating this. First steak was delicious. We hunted down every last package in the freezer and devoured it all.
Glad it worked out for you! Thanks for the update.