Smart *** gunshop clerk

Have you shot a supersonic round in a suppressed rifle?
I currently have two cans. Yes, I've used them on supersonic rounds. I still find them too loud to shoot without hearing protection. Sorry if my opinion disagrees with yours.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance but if you still need hearing protection then a suppressor isn't really worth the cost or horse$&it to obtain for supersonic loads?
There's a factor here that seldom people talk about.

That is concussion. When guns are fired, especially large ones, a pressure wave goes through the air. This pressure wave also goes through your skull and essentially gives a microscopic concussion.

I notice how I can shoot a 22LR all day. But a muzzle braked 300 Win Mag on in an indoor range? I get fatigue after 15 to 20 rounds. Not because of recoil, but because the brake is directing the concussive pressure wave backwards towards the shooter very aggressively.

Shoot a 338 Lapua with a brake and then without a brake. It's a massive difference in concussion, especially for neighboring shooters.

My cans are used to mitigate concussion. I can shoot magnum rounds with little to no fatigue. It saves my sinuses and saves me a headache especially on an indoor range.

I have read that some shooters report hearing damage even wearing plugs and muffs. Because some rifles are so loud and have such aggressive muzzlebrakes that in certain scenarios, the concussion goes through your skull and damages your ear drum regardless of protection.

So I encourage everyone to buy suppressors not because of sound reduction, but concussion, headache, and shooting fatigue reduction.

I currently have two cans. Yes, I've used them on supersonic rounds. I still find them too loud to shoot without hearing protection. Sorry if my opinion disagrees with yours.
Everyones hearing is different. My wife can hear a mouse fart from 100 yards, I couldnt tell you if a horse farts from 100 feet.
I'm convinced that even suppressed, my wife would still need ear protection.
That is exactly why she really took to archery- even with hearing protection she didnt like shooting a rifle much. Im hoping to change that with a suppressor.

I never rely on store clerks for good info unless it is to provide a price. Most of the gun info stuff provided is anecdotal.

Guns are noisy & good hearing protection is a real requirement. Muzzle brakes are nasty. Those with exhaust ports located on the bottom create dust storms. I once saw the entire contents of a moderate size mud puddle blown out by some blaster .300 Mag fitted with a brake having bottom openings.

If it blows up bad & close enough, you can feel it on your body and more. The shock wave always arrives after the heat.

Last edited:

That is concussion. When guns are fired, especially large ones, a pressure wave goes through the air. This pressure wave also goes through your skull and essentially gives a microscopic concussion.

I notice how I can shoot a 22LR all day. But a muzzle braked 300 Win Mag on in an indoor range? I get fatigue after 15 to 20 rounds. Not because of recoil, but because the brake is directing the concussive pressure wave backwards towards the shooter very aggressively.

Shoot a 338 Lapua with a brake and then without a brake. It's a massive difference in concussion, especially for neighboring shooters.

My cans are used to mitigate concussion. I can shoot magnum rounds with little to no fatigue. It saves my sinuses and saves me a headache especially on an indoor range.

I have read that some shooters report hearing damage even wearing plugs and muffs. Because some rifles are so loud and have such aggressive muzzlebrakes that in certain scenarios, the concussion goes through your skull and damages your ear drum regardless of protection.

So I encourage everyone to buy suppressors not because of sound reduction, but concussion, headache, and shooting fatigue reduction.
I've long held that people flinch more from concussion/noise than recoil. Take that away and EVERYONE is going to shoot better.

Guys I have been thinking about getting a supressor for a while now but when I stopped by the gunshop today there was a smart edit little guy behind the counter who thought he knew everything and I was an idiot. I asked a few simple questions and he told me that unless I was shooting sub sonic ammunition a supressor wouldnt help. I explained that at sea level that was around 1,000 fps and useless. He then goes on a rant about sub sonic ammunition and thats when I told him I had a 22-250 a 220 Swift a 243 that I wanted to supress and none of them would shoot that slow. He kept pushing this Atomik ammunition and he didnt even notice that I had a can of IMR 4895 in my hand and he would have noticed that I reloaded my own stuff. He had no idea what a Swift even was and when I told him it would shoot 4000 fps he all but called me a liar and laughed so I just walked out. He kept trying to push a supressor made by Texas supressors as being the gold standard of supressors. Anyway all 3 of my varmint guns have heavy barrels so they will thread easily. My question is how much noise reduction can I expect from a supressor if I am shooting coyotes down here and want to be quiet about it will one really help me.
I have a omega silencer and when I put it on my AR the action seems louder than the shot. THE omega is a 30cal, suppressor so I can use it for more rifles.

train trainwreck GIF

Who cares what the guy thinks, do what you want. I'm going to go stroke my suppressed 300 RUM now.

Never hunted big game with a suppressor, but prairie dogs that would all go down with one shot def do not.

I have shot bear, elk and lots of coyotes with my suppressor on, it makes a lot of difference. You hear bullet impact and the animals are confused about what happened. I don't hunt without it.

Well said.

I usually point out to those on the fence or that use muzzle brakes about concussion.

Say the average gunshot is 160db and good ear pro knocks 30db off. Now you are at 130db. Still not fun to be around all day.

Now add a muzzle brake that bumps the muzzle blast to 175db. Even perfectly fit ear plugs and muffs don't stack in protection. You might get 35db reduction. Now you are exposed to 140db.

Take that the other way and add a suppressor that takes it down 30db. You start at 130db and those ear plugs/muffs can get you under 100db. Now that you can shoot all day with no fatigue or a shot or 2 without ear pro.

I run without hearing protection in the field while suppressed. I am running a SilencerCO Hybrid 46 on a 6.5 PRC. It also will not trigger my Lab Radar while suppressed at the range. I very much enjoy having the muffler on my hunting rig.
Invest in a trigger system for the LabRadar and never look back . Best thing I ever did