Smart *** gunshop clerk

I've never owned a can so I have zero experience with them. Do you have to reduce the load because of back pressure? If so, approximately how many grains average on a .308 capacity case?
Not enough to matter. If you're on the bleeding edge of a case separation to begin with, you need to back it off regardless of a can.

I bought a Surfire SOCOM 264 last March and am still waiting. I figure it'll be around Feb/March until I get it. The Efile has not sped the process up at all. The last one I got in 8 months and was the prior paper application method.
Reality check, that's what I expected from the start. I've never owned one so I really don't know what I'm missing out on. Was hoping to find the older Socom without the QD, I've had a Socom muzzle brake for several years and would have just connected to the brake. Buddy of mine waited 15 months for his last can, he just got it a month ago and smiles at me when I tell him when I THINK I'll get mine.

Reality check, that's what I expected from the start. I've never owned one so I really don't know what I'm missing out on. Was hoping to find the older Socom without the QD, I've had a Socom muzzle brake for several years and would have just connected to the brake. Buddy of mine waited 15 months for his last can, he just got it a month ago and smiles at me when I tell him when I THINK I'll get mine.
I have the 300 SOCOM, this 264 was in clearance after a place got bought out. Scored it for $500. I like both of them. Also have a a couple of YHM's I really like!

I bought my 1st suppresor to help manage the recoil on a 300Wby that is Ackley improved. It made a big difference in managing recoil. I use one for my 300PRC. Same results. Both rifles gain around 100fps with the same can. I have seen it slow a round down in a long barrel 22. The added barrel length, with the can, and the small amount of gas from a rimfire cartridge, loses pressure before the projectile leaves the barrel.
How can you Ackley improve a 300 Wby?

Every rifle is different. If you're running a load at the top of the pressure curve it's quite possible if you now screw a Can on you may have signs of pressure and some you may not. Once you own a Can, and rifle or rifles you will use it on, you would more than likely develop your load to shoot with the Can on. If I intend to shoot a rig suppressed then the load is developed with it on.
So, if you decided to shoot some factory ammo, all brands/bullet weights would be safe?

I joined the Tucson Gun Club in 1982. I was 29, and noticed that all the old guys there were deaf. That is when I bought ear muffs. It was already too late. To protect the little hearing I have left while hunting, I use the earplugs connected with a plastic string. I cut the string and thread it though my hunting hat so the plugs dangle near my ears. If I have time, I insert the plugs before shooting at game. Since this is long range hunting, I usually have time.

Speaking of protection, I also have skin cancer. I hunt with a hat with a 4" or 5" 180° brim and neck protection. The large full brim shades my face and makes it less visible. A ball cap just doesn't do enough. The floppy back will fit under the hood on my sweatshirt. A big brim also keeps snow and rain out of your eyes. I thread a piece of wire through the brim so I can shape it, and it won't fold in the wind.

There is absolutely zero difference when talking animals, they hear the firing pin on a bolt gun or the bolt drop on a semi, so no difference there. I will say that "sometimes" a bunch of hogs will hesitate when shooting suppressed with thermal scope at night as they can't immediately tell the direction of the first/second shot. After that.....they gone.
My experience in the field is the exact opposite of this. With game and pigs.

A suppressor changes the tone of a supersonic round. Makes it a bit quieter and game reacts differently.

I missed an Antelope at 300 twice. He ran 30 yards each time and stopped to try to figure out what the noise was. Then I killed him. This wouldn't have happened wo a can. I'm convinced.

Shot a big buck at 100. A dozen does jumped, then went back to eating. Never left.

Game reacts differently to the sound of a suppressed gun.

I shoot a lot of hogs with subsonic 240's out of a Mod 7 bolt action (no cycling of an action). Almost never have I had any pigs hesitate to run like the wind at the sound of this "pellet gun quiet" sound.

I don't know what you have killed or shot at w a suppressor, but my experience does not jive with yours at all and I have killed a pile of game with suppressors.

My experience in the field is the exact opposite of this. With game and pigs.

A suppressor changes the tone of a supersonic round. Makes it a bit quieter and game reacts differently.

I missed an Antelope at 300 twice. He ran 30 yards each time and stopped to try to figure out what the noise was. Then I killed him. This wouldn't have happened wo a can. I'm convinced.

Shot a big buck at 100. A dozen does jumped, then went back to eating. Never left.

Game reacts differently to the sound of a suppressed gun.

I shoot a lot of hogs with subsonic 240's out of a Mod 7 bolt action (no cycling of an action). Almost never have I had any pigs hesitate to run like the wind at the sound of this "pellet gun quiet" sound.

I don't know what you have killed or shot at w a suppressor, but my experience does not jive with yours at all and I have killed a pile of game with suppressors.
Agree 100%, after hunting elk suppressed and seeing the difference in the herds reaction, followed by many positive experiences with other game, I won't hunt without it unless I have to due to local regulations. I own 2 now and waiting for the 3rd to clear.

My question is how much noise reduction can I expect from a supressor if I am shooting coyotes down here and want to be quiet about it will one really help me.

Ive got a Surefire Socom Mini that advertises 137db from a 16" barrel with 5.56 and while that is well beyond "hearing safe" its still 20db+ quieter than than the gun normally is which is significant and that is with one of the smallest 5.56 suppressors available. I can shoot without ear protection and not experience discomfort especially with the significantly reduced concussive effect.

I still wear them but I really appreciate the suppressor if one isn't seated all the way or if I forget to put them back in after taking a break.

If you hunt without ear protection I cant recommend a suppressor enough.

Just make sure to use the new E file system or you will be waiting forever and a day to get approval.

All I know is I wish I had not been a suppressor nay sayer for the past several decades. The ringing in my ears is constant and getting worse. A suppressed rifle shooting super-sonic may still be considered unsafe for your ears, but it will do considerably less damage than the same rifle with a brake.
I spent my first 10 years in the USAF flightline generating aircraft (F-4s and A-10s) with long exposures of 140+dBs, esp. when we are surging. The recommended PPE at the time was foamies + headsets. Most of my coworkers only wear 1 of 2, and others none. I used both and did not have any hearing loss. Those that did not have to face the consequences.

I use hearing protection and other PPEs when I operate high noise level household equipment/tools, i.e., mower, snow blower, leaf blower, etc. Sadly, shooting is not the cause of hearing loss/damage.

noise-levels.png

Ive got a Surefire Socom Mini that advertises 137db from a 16" barrel with 5.56 and while that is well beyond "hearing safe" its still 20db+ quieter than than the gun normally is which is significant and that is with one of the smallest 5.56 suppressors available. I can shoot without ear protection and not experience discomfort especially with the significantly reduced concussive effect.

I still wear them but I really appreciate the suppressor if one isn't seated all the way or if I forget to put them back in after taking a break.

If you hunt without ear protection I cant recommend a suppressor enough.

Just make sure to use the new E file system or you will be waiting forever and a day to get approval.
Efile has not made the process any faster! 10 months in and still waiting for me. Still seems to take a year to get it. There's an entire thread on here about it and the continuing inefficient process.

Recent Posts