Smart *** gunshop clerk

I currently have two cans. Yes, I've used them on supersonic rounds. I still find them too loud to shoot without hearing protection. Sorry if my opinion disagrees with yours.
My only disagreement was the "loud as hell" comment. My opinion is that's misleading to someone who is interested in purchasing a can. Sound perception is different for everyone. I agree they may not be hearing safe, but they definitely are not loud as hell.

I've long held that people flinch more from concussion/noise than recoil. Take that away and EVERYONE is going to shoot better.
I agree with you. There's a reason why we flinch with those muzzlebrakes. Because our biology has never experienced the force of a 250 grain projectile moving at 3 times the speed of sound. The shockwave and pressure wave moving through the air is unlike anything we normally experience.

Our body is trying to protect itself, but we ignore it. And mark my words, all these people buying these "PRS Rifles" with rearward 3-port muzzlebrakes will have severe tinnitus and shooting anxiety in about 5 to 10 years.

These rifles are pushing upwards of 175 decibels. I shoot a 338 Lapua, take it from me. If you cannot handle the recoil and need a muzzlebrake, then you bought the wrong gun!!! There's a reason why the military's sniper rifles are 15+ pounds! I have a Weatherby Mark V in 338 Lapua that is 9 pounds. I bought the wrong gun! 🤣

Our body is trying to protect itself, but we ignore it. And mark my words, all these people buying these "PRS Rifles" with rearward 3-port muzzlebrakes will have severe tinnitus and shooting anxiety in about 5 to 10 years.
"Shooting anxiety"? 🤣

Is that what happens when you're a wimp and you're scared to pull the trigger because the big, mean rifle touched you in your no-no area?

I agree with you. There's a reason why we flinch with those muzzlebrakes. Because our biology has never experienced the force of a 250 grain projectile moving at 3 times the speed of sound. The shockwave and pressure wave moving through the air is unlike anything we normally experience.

These rifles are pushing upwards of 175 decibels. I shoot a 338 Lapua, take it from me. If you cannot handle the recoil and need a muzzlebrake, then you bought the wrong gun!!! There's a reason why the military's sniper rifles are 15+ pounds! I have a Weatherby Mark V in 338 Lapua that is 9 pounds. I bought the wrong gun! 🤣
Idk about that but ok....

Well said.

I usually point out to those on the fence or that use muzzle brakes about concussion.

Say the average gunshot is 160db and good ear pro knocks 30db off. Now you are at 130db. Still not fun to be around all day.

Now add a muzzle brake that bumps the muzzle blast to 175db. Even perfectly fit ear plugs and muffs don't stack in protection. You might get 35db reduction. Now you are exposed to 140db.

Take that the other way and add a suppressor that takes it down 30db. You start at 130db and those ear plugs/muffs can get you under 100db. Now that you can shoot all day with no fatigue or a shot or 2 without ear pro.
Ear pro with an nrr of 30 actually doesn't knock off 30 dB

That's emphatically false.
But it's subjectively true to him, so leave him alone about it. Noise levels are pretty much entirely subjective anyways, you can have to people staring at a meter and they'll argue about things being louder and quieter even if the meter says they're the exact same.

Ear pro with an nrr of 30 actually doesn't knock off 30 dB
Yup. And before it comes up, stacking ear pro also doesn't mean you get to say NRR 30 plus NRR 30 = NRR 60 reduction either. 😬 I believe OSHA says you get what a max of 5dB reduction from the inner set? And don't even get me started on "fit" to get that max NRR either.

My experience with suppressors (about 20 of them) is that depending on the gun and what you consider "hearing safe" you will have varying results. If you want complete suppression where you hear the firing pin fall and the bullet strike the target then y o u will need subsonic ammo and a can that will reduce muzzle gas pressure to about 100 psi. Depending on what you call hearing safe, an 8"can 1-1/2" diameter appropriately baffled will give you that 100ish psi with a .223 which in my opinion is hearing safe.

There are 3 sounds a bolt action makes and 5 than an ar make. Bolt guns make a click when the firing pin hits the primer, then is a sonic Crack as the bullet goes past the speed of sound and there is a boom of the high pressure gasses escaping the barrel as the bullet leaves. An ar has those sounds but there is the additional sounds of the action cycling and the high pressure gas leaving the chamber area as the bolt opens. Because of this Last issue, suppressing an ar is less effective than a bolt action.

Good suppressors will eliminate only the boom from the high pressure gasses leaving the barrel. The suppressors you purchase needs to get that gas to the 100 psi range to get the job done well. If you have eliminated this boom , what you have left with supersonic ammo is the Crack you hear.

it is difficult to distinguish where this Crack is coming from and therefore you can often get a second shot if you are using a supressor, especially if you are not near a woods. Sometimes coyotes will run directly at you after you shoot at them with a suppressed rifle.

I guess I need to find someone with one and hear it for myself
This is what sold me on suppressors. I watched from a hilltop as a friend snuck down a brushy creek bottom going into a field to get within 200 yards of a herd of elk that were feeding there. When the herd bull finally came in to the field and started scent checking cows, he shot. From the hilltop we watched the bull drop, only heard the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier, no boom. The rest of the heard just stood there nervously milling around, looking at the dead bull. (normally they would have stampeded out of that field). As they started to leave the field, walking and occasionally stopping to look back at the field, he shot again and filled his cow tag. This would not have been possible without the suppressor. I've had the same type of experience multiple times since then with elk and deer.

The hearing protection it provides is an added benefit as I have never worn hearing protection while hunting (always wear hearing protection at the range, even when shooting suppressed).

I hate suppressors. The extra weight. The extra length. The cost. The recoil reduction. The ability To shoot one coyote at 100 yards with another standing beside you at 80 yards and not move Till he drops vertically. The ability to use it on multiple rifles. The fact that after having a sever head injury and being extremely sensitive to blast concussion I can comfortably shoot anytime without issue Or hearing protection. Being able to shoot critter after critter without them busting out of the country. I could go on and on about how much I hate suppressors but I'm tired from chasing coyotes on deep crunchy snow today. That **** suppressor didn't scare them but the chubby hunter sneaking on crunchy snow sure did🤣😂
Excellent response !
What gun and can are you using ? I have a Lane on a 6.5 cm and its good , but I think it could be better.