Smallest caliber for Montana Mule Deer Rifle

I like my 260AI, 6.5x47 or 7-08 for deer the size of your Mule deer.
I will add any of my 25’s in the mix, but they are a niche calibre and kill far better than they look on paper. I wouldn’t go smaller than 25. I have killed deer with 22’s in the past…didn’t find the tracking any fun.

Cheers.
I have killed 16 deer including mule deer with a One Shot kill out of my 6mm Remington. Didn’t have to track a single one. My wife and kids all have 7-08’s and I have many other calibers to choose from but the 6mm is always my Go To Gun for Deer!

I have 3 whitetail kills with 6.5's and 1, 30 cal all were DRT between 500 and 600yds but I've never used a 22cal at that range do you have any kills on deer at that range with the 22 cal. Just curious. I did take 3 different calibers to Montana 22-250, 243, and 308. I had to use the 308 at 750yds the 22-250 and 243 were useless in the wind just my experience.
I do not have any kills between 500 and 600. My longest on deer have been 430ish and longest on a pig was at 469. Those were all with my .22GT and it did fine on all. What bullets were you using on your prairie dog hunt?

John

I have a 6.5/270wsm that I use when I'm going to be in a Deer stand, It's to heavy for a carry gun but works great for stand gun.
It's build on a Winchester action with a all 25" steel barrel, it will shoot 3/4" groups all day long and it weights in with scoop and ready to shoot at 9 1/4 lb.

Yes, that prarie dog hunt took place in the mid 90's. Calibers and bullets have all come a long way since then. B.C.'s are climbing higher and higher. Happy hunting to all!

South central. Reed Point, Columbus, are the big cities near there! I will likely be trying another place next year. It is a mix of wooded, sage covered open breaks type country and CRP/Hay fields….shots are usually 80 yds to 300 yds, but game is usually spotted out to 1000 or so yards.

No, and I likely won’t. I’ve received and latched onto a lot of messages about 300 mags, 338, 7mm, etc are the only good calibers, but I know I shoot thinks like 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor much better…..even in lighter guns.

So, I’m wondering about 6mm, 25, 6.5 for deer…..I’m thinking that a 100-140 grain bullet at 3000ish might be a better choice than a boomer.
If you are looking to buy a rifle for hunting deer my opinion is what the world is seeing with wars and supply issues. I think it to be prudent to choose a cartridge that will not dry up in supply crisis. Look at the 7 prc and Hornady issues with not getting the powder they want. I listened to the hype of the wsm cartridges back when they first came out. Now good luck finding 270wsm brass. I think you have the right idea of going a little smaller in caliber. They are much easier to spot your shot in the scope and cheaper on the wallet. I would look at cartridges based off of the most available and common brass choices. The 308 family, 30-06 family of cartridges and 6.5 creedmoor cartridges. If you reload you can always size brass up or down. 308 to 260 rem no problem. 270 win to 280 ackly no problem and many good powders to choose from. Also having a choice of using large or small primers would be good also. Don't get to worried about which cartridge will kill at what range but something that you like and fits you and practice, practice and practice that's much cheaper to do with a 6.5 or 7mm-08 than a cartridge burning 75 grains of powder or 75 dollars a box. Unless your rich than you do whatever. This is why I stick to the time tested calibers magnum or standard

I guess I have to ask, why even consider "the smallest"? I always consider the fact that I "might" encounter the trophy of a lifetime. If that were to happen and I was carrying a very lightweight caliber, made a great shot on the trophy of a lifetime and it ran off and I was unable to recover it. That scenario drives me to think, what would be the minimum that I would consider enough for me to not second guess my choice in rifles to take on that hunt. And the decision becomes easier, for me, as the shot distance gets longer. Bigger is better.
PS-While a trophy is just that, I do not want to wound any animal and know that it is very likely that it won't expire until hours or even days after my shot.

But that is just my 2 cents worth.

My answer would likely be somewhere in 270 caliber minimum range. Given the fact that I have several rifles with larger calibers, it is likely that I would take one of those. A few that would be front runners for that job, 7 SS, 7 RM, 308 win, 6.5-284 and maybe even a 28 Nosler or 300 PRC. I don't want to wonder about the mythical "if I do my part" statement.

Last edited: