Slight stiffness closing the bolt

megastink

I have some .243 loads that I made up with 87gr VLD's. I loaded about fifteen for a ladder test. I used a case gauge to measure the prepped cases before priming. I did NOT check them in my rifle chamber. The bolt requires ever-so-slightly more pressure to close that with an empty fired case. I can still close it with one finger, it just requires the tiniest bit more effort.

I'm new at reloading, and certainly learned a lesson here already, but am I ok shooting these loads? Rifle is a Savage 11 action with a Shilen sporter barrel. Thank you all in advance.

Some desire this amount of "tightness" to limit shoulder stretch. I have shot thousands of rounds in this condition by design. If you are going to want insurance for feeding in field conditions, dirt & muck proof, give yourself 2-3 thousands shoulder set back with your FL die.

Some desire this amount of "tightness" to limit shoulder stretch. I have shot thousands of rounds in this condition by design. If you are going to want insurance for feeding in field conditions, dirt & muck proof, give yourself 2-3 thousands shoulder set back with your FL die.
So I'm good to shoot?

Take your first fired round and slide it over the bullet of an unfired round. I've run into chambers that have a tight neck. Just make sure you can slide a bullet into a fired case. Also look at the case mouth and make sure it isn't contacting the chamber. Friction in bolt handle isn't always shoulder contact.

Take your first fired round and slide it over the bullet of an unfired round. I've run into chambers that have a tight neck. Just make sure you can slide a bullet into a fired case. Also look at the case mouth and make sure it isn't contacting the chamber. Friction in bolt handle isn't always shoulder contact.
Valid points. I read, "New to reloading" and everyone new to reloading gets the shoulder setback wrong by blindly following the manual recommended set up.

Your rifles chamber is the only case gauge you'll ever need and the only one that counts. It takes a few firings for brass to stop growing and it may get too tight. If so l, bump the shoulder back a thou or two more and lock it down.