sig sauer kilo 2000 rangefinder

I bought one almost a month ago and it didn't work period. I sent it back for another Kilo 2000 that worked well until I got out in 38 degree weather..
At first I would get instantaneous ranges out to 900 yards on rocks, then the thing would stop working! I would warm it up and it would work but only to about 700 yards on reflectives.
I could never get anywhere near the ranging ability of my Zeiss on smaller targets, and it wouldn't even work consistently!!
I'm sending the *** back and buying a Leica. My advice spend $150 more and buy something that is reliable

I have a Leica 1600, and I'm pleased with the results it gives. But I still carry my old Wild around with me also, for those times I might need a dependable rangefinder. lol
That said i've recommended the Sig to several others after reading all the positive reviews. One of them recently got a unit from Cabela's that didn't perform well.
But he immediately got a new one from them when he complained about it which works well.
I had never even held one until last week when a different friend handed me his to try.
It seemed to work equally as well as my Leica on rocks out to about 800 yards which was the max distance at the location. He had also bought it at Cabela's on their black Friday sale for $349, which is about half the cost of a discounted price for a Leica.

My Kilo 2000, one of the first to hit the street, has been great for couple of years.

Been ranging effectively in single digit temps.

Battery life, on mine, is exceptional. 2 battery changes since new....

Huh, I never heard any complaints about the Leica 1600...

I had a Zeiss PRF 1300 rangefinder that fell out of my pack on a hunt this year. It was WAY WAY better at picking up reflective and non reflective targets than the Kilo 2000, and it freaking worked ALL of the time.

I found the Leica 1600 B for $550 and ordered it. Now I'm hoping it's not a *** like the Kilo!

Anyone have any reviews of the 1600 B Leica??

I have one of the first kilos also, I bought mine in late November of last year. I have had no problems at all with it, I have ranged deer out to over 1200 yards, rocks out to 2400 yards right before dark and on cloudy days. I have also ranged highway signs up to 3600 yards. The other day it ranged my target stand holding a 24x24in steel plate painted white at 1767 yards no problem using scan mode. I cannot say anything bad about it, it has done everything I want and some.

I have one of the first kilos also, I bought mine in late November of last year. I have had no problems at all with it, I have ranged deer out to over 1200 yards, rocks out to 2400 yards right before dark and on cloudy days. I have also ranged highway signs up to 3600 yards. The other day it ranged my target stand holding a 24x24in steel plate painted white at 1767 yards no problem using scan mode. I cannot say anything bad about it, it has done everything I want and some.

This mirrors my experience. With the exception of I have only ranges a small road sign at 3010 yards.

Jeff

So it seems that most are having good luck with the Kilo.
What are the odds that I get two of them back to back that either don't work at all, or work occasionally?? After getting burned twice by a product that cost's $400 I'm certainly not willing to stick with it!
As I mentioned I just sent my Kilo back and exchanged it for a Leica 1600 B, anyone have some positives or negatives about this one?

Having been interested in learning the field experiences of the Kilo 2000, it seems that the basic design is sound, but Sig is still trying to clean up the production/QC process with volume. Reports of use in the field appear to be hit or miss. At such a low price compared to the direct competition, it begs the question of sufficient testing investment.....We tend to get what we pay for. What surprised me at the introduction of the Kilo 2000 was Sigs very low price position. It seemed counter to their approach with their superb firearms which I have used quite a lot. They are generally price leaders, and the quality/performance is impeccable. Just some thoughts.

Having been interested in learning the field experiences of the Kilo 2000, it seems that the basic design is sound, but Sig is still trying to clean up the production/QC process with volume. Reports of use in the field appear to be hit or miss. At such a low price compared to the direct competition, it begs the question of sufficient testing investment.....We tend to get what we pay for. What surprised me at the introduction of the Kilo 2000 was Sigs very low price position. It seemed counter to their approach with their superb firearms which I have used quite a lot. They are generally price leaders, and the quality/performance is impeccable. Just some thoughts.

The Leica 1600 cost more than twice as much and yet it had the same problems. The idea one gets what one pays for is a misnomer. I have proved that with binoculars and scopes.

The Leica 1600 cost more than twice as much and yet it had the same problems. The idea one gets what one pays for is a misnomer. I have proved that with binoculars and scopes.

Actually the Leica is available for $150 more than the Kilo 2000 from numerous vendors.
Could you please elaborate on the Leica issues that you keep mentioning..
I've been looking at a ton of Leica 1600 reviews and haven't heard of any horror stories yet

Actually the Leica is available for $150 more than the Kilo 2000 from numerous vendors.
Could you please elaborate on the Leica issues that you keep mentioning..
I've been looking at a ton of Leica 1600 reviews and haven't heard of any horror stories yet

When the 1600 first hit there were a few that were replaced with poor ranging capability most were found to be operator error because of how small they were guys were getting their hands in front of the unit and messing with the ranging, it was handled so fast very few people knew it even happened.

When the 1600 first hit there were a few that were replaced with poor ranging capability most were found to be operator error because of how small they were guys were getting their hands in front of the unit and messing with the ranging, it was handled so fast very few people knew it even happened.

This is not completely true. I never heard a thing about its size and hands. At Cameraland New York they were going through them and returning the ones with the problem of lot ranging past about 900 yards. Leica was replacing them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.