Sierra 70 gr Blitzking

Seabee, hope you will try a box of 85g Speer btsp, they are tougher than the Sierra with better penetration.
I will in time if I can find some. Currently have 10 different bullets to test. Loved the 85 tsx in my 243. took a lot of deer with it. May be going back to it from hammers

Late to the party on this one, but years ago when I built a 6X47 Rem (6-222 Rem Mag) I tried almost every bullet 80 grains and under in my rifle. I settled on the 70 grain Nosler BT as my go to bullet. I killed a few whitetail, pronghorn, and a lot of prairie dogs with that bullet. I'd love to test heavier bullets, but I'm limited due to a 1:14 twist barrel.

The 70 grain Sierra BK was a very accurate bullet. I often printed smaller groups with that bullet than I did with any other. However, my rifle seemed more sensitive to powder changes with that bullet. I often displayed pressure signs before I got close to the MV that I was able to achieve with the with the NBT.

IIRC, the Sierra was getting between 2700-2800 fps with the same charge of H335 that I was getting 3000 fps from the Nosler. Like any other small capacity case it doesn't take much of a powder change to spike pressures. I could have switched powders and maybe got velocity without pressure, but the rifle shot most everything under MOA with 70 grain bullets so I didn't stress about finding another load.

I did recently purchase 500 Norma Tip Strike 70 grain bullets to try from Raven Rocks moving sale. I was going to give the a go in my 6X45 that I normally use 85gr SGK bullets in. I may just try them in my 6X47 as well as I picked up 2K blems of the 85 grain SGK from Midway to run in my X45. I try to stick with 70 gr or heavier as it's the minimum for pronghorn in CO, but I only need a 55 grain bullet when hunting OK for whitetail.

Last edited:
Without a doubt, the 6 AI, shooting 70s from 10T to 14T at 4000 fps to 4100 fps will amaze you, and I shoot a zero freebore chamber and 80g Sierra blitz bt at 3800 in a Shilen 14T is a bug hole shooting affair!

Ever see a chuck get vaporized? They blow up like a paint ball hitting a flat rock!

I use the 70BT in a Sako 6PPC and it is excellent on groundhogs and obviously PD’s as well.

l have 243Winchester take off barrel from a Remington 700 SA Varmint along with its matching
700 BDL checkered stock. l am thinking very strongly about putting it on a 22-250 Remington
700 SA l recently retired.

Funny thing, I sent Horn. a letter saying their VMaxes weren't as explosives as others. Got a letter from Steve H. saying if I wasn't pleased with his bullets maybe I should switch.

Just exactly how did you expect him to react?

Apologize? Or send you a new box of bullets to change your mind? Sheesh. You're an amateur, no credentials or test methodology.

I use V-max, A-Max and A-Tip bullets frequently with no criticism but those are the only types of bullets I use from Hornady.

Enjoy!

;)

Our group of 12 Texas prairie doggers stopped by Hornadys in Grand lsle after our final trip to the RoseDud around 2008. We met Steve and were given a tour of the of the plant. l must say that l was impressed. The only experience l could compare it to was a 2002 tour of Nosler's plant in Bend Or on John Sr's 90th bd. My hat is off to both Hornady and Nosler. My opinion: They will BOTH do well as long as their company is owned by independent GUN folks. All our great gun and ammo companies died when they were bought out or controlled by NON-gun folk.

I'm building a 244AI and looking at bullets for groundhogs. I've tested many bullets in the past but never the 70 BK. Does anyone have experience with these in 6mm cal and how was accuracy and performance on varmints? Thanks for the help
I've got experience with 70 BK from back in the day. It's a beast of a bullet in 6mm, groundhogs don't stand a chance. It's accurate and a varmint vaporizer. Trust me, you won't regret using it.