Shooting with shooting sticks

LanceK

I would like to improve my skills at using shooting sticks. If you have any tips could you share them, or maybe post a link to a resource for me to read. I am trying to learn to use the equipment I have before buying more. Plus the grass here is usually too tall to shoot prone. Thanks!

I like to use the 3 leg shooting sticks, mine are a set of inexpensive Mossback shooting sticks I've had for probably 10 years. I like the Primos/Stoney Point Polecat sticks too, but they're not as stable.

For me the trick has always been getting as low to the ground as I can and then being able to lean into the sticks. I hold the sticks while wrapping my hand around the forend as tight as I comfortably can. With a little practice I've gotten pretty comfortable out to 500 yards on a kill zone sized target.

The biggest issue I have with shooting sticks is the slow follow up shot. My hunting guns are unbraked so I end up way off target after the shot.

I would like to improve my skills at using shooting sticks. If you have any tips could you share them, or maybe post a link to a resource for me to read. I am trying to learn to use the equipment I have before buying more. Plus the grass here is usually too tall to shoot prone. Thanks!
Just got back from Arizona,.. I used my shooting "Sticks", the wood Hunters Specialties type, to shoot my Bull Elk. using my pack, on my Chest, to REST/ STEADY, the Rifles "Toe" in the sitting position on the side of a snowy hill. Sticks work great for, shooting over Grass and Sage brush, on hillsides with, the Pack under the toe,.. very precise if, you practice a bit and "push" the Pack upwards, towards your head with your foot/leg to get rifle steady. My shot, was about, 2 inches behind the Elk's shoulder/ leg "crease", after impact, 2 "jumps", dead Elk ! I was hitting our 10" dia. steel plate, 5 times, in a row with this method, at 350-400 Yards in practice. If I had to shoot, more than 400-450 yd's I'd shoot PRONE, over my Pack, with a Holland Field Bag, as a "toe" rest.
I carry my Pack, with, a Days supply of water/ Snack's, Elk Qtr bags, Para-cord, Knife, Hunt Spec "sticks" hooked on it and the Pack is "filled up" with a rolled up, Thermarest sleeping Pad, with my Puffy Jacket, etc., in it, so that, I'm also ready, to shoot Prone, if necessary. I'm using, a Kifaru Gun Bearer to hold rifle on the Pack and I Hike with Hiking/walking sticks for stability in rocky areas and wood, blow downs. I can pull the Rifle out of the Gun Bearer, remove Pack and poke my Rifle thru sticks in about One Minute and get scope "on", an animal ( takes practice, tho !) My son shot a nice 6X6 Bull in Idaho 3 weeks ago at 250 yds, using Hunter Spec "sticks", too ! YUP,.. those wood "sticks" are,..DEADLY ! Hope this helps !

Last edited:
For me the ideal way to shoot when seated is have a tall bipod on the gun made for seated positions and use a light pair of shooting sticks as a rear rest. I have not shot game any longer than about 350 with this combo but have shot like this at the range to 600 with surprisingly good accuracy. My dad has a trigger stick tripod and have set up with it in this way and it is about as solid as you are going to get when seated IMO.

I've had my shooting sticks for over a decade. They're just the standard thin two poled version that collapse. I use mine with a 1 inch sling with keepers. I sling up and rest my hand or grab the poles. I also use my eberlestock as a giant rear bag while sitting. I practiced shooting rats and rockchucks out to 400 yards using this setup. Only big game was a pig at 50 yards. Needed it cuz I was breathing hard from low crawling a good distance for the shot. Google or look up on youtube for the poles being used as a rear rest. It's pretty slick.

I don't have a great amount of experience using shooting sticks. But have used them several times in hunting situations. The ones I used were just the simple plain thin ones that fold up and unfold kind of like a tent pole. I have found that if you can get something solid behind your shoulder and possibly your elbow down on your leg you can hold things pretty steady. Anyway this has worked for me several times in the field. Good luck and stay safe.

I built a set 28 years ago with ski poles. Just cut them off, push a wooden dowell as far into them as you can. Cut it off even with the end of the pole. 4 inches from the end drill & put a small bolt through with 4 washers. Use a piece of bike tire tube for the support. I love mine & they have helped hundreds of coyotes find the light! I just bought 3 more pairs of ski poles & will be making more.
Thanks, Kirk

P.S. Probably cost $10.00 per pair.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.