Holdover shooting

Cool. Thanks.
I have been successful on elk at 408 and 505....but that doesnt seem very far.

I will check out the history.
Currently traditional ML season here in MT

Fairly new to lrh. How far can i be successful with only holdover....non dialing scopes?
Thoughts?
i center punched a w 20211201_085630.jpghitetail lung at 550yds this season20211201_085637.jpg20211201_084449.jpg

6.5x47L 140vld vortex viper pst gen 2 5x25x50ffp

set on 15x

Reticle type will make a lot of difference. If you are talking about a standard duplex it helps to make an animal sized target and shoot at distance, record drops and note size relationship of animal to Reticle. With my stock 700 in 3006 with vxll 3x9. 400 yds on deer is as far as I would want to shoot.

Fairly new to lrh. How far can i be successful with only holdover....non dialing scopes?
Thoughts?
It really all depends on the reticle, cartridge, rifle accuracy, and shooter ability. Some BDC reticles are set up for 1k. A Christmas tree ret could extend a shooter's range. I dial and also use a reticle depending on the situation and rifle. My 30-06 with mildot reticle is set up for 600-700 yard shots depending on the load. If I play with the zero I can make shots on steel out to 800 yards.

It really all depends on the reticle, cartridge, rifle accuracy, and shooter ability. Some BDC reticles are set up for 1k. A Christmas tree ret could extend a shooter's range. I dial and also use a reticle depending on the situation and rifle. My 30-06 with mildot reticle is set up for 600-700 yard shots depending on the load. If I play with the zero I can make shots on steel out to 800 yards.
Yep, I only validated mine to 650Y.

Ballistic E1 FFP, 4-20x, Burris.png

Depends on what your shooting and what reticle your using. All i use is holdover with my 257 but my dope fits the moa reticle almost perfect. Zeroed @250yds 1moa@300 2moa@400 4moa@500. Those dopes arent perfect but **** close. 500yds isnt all that far but I dont like shooting at deer past 500yds.

Mine is validated out to 800 yards. However since my reticle is a standard, old school, mildot I'd be more comfortable at 600 yards with it. Maybe 700 yards with a lot of 208 eldm or 215 hybrid practice.
I have validated my load up to 1K (dialed). Anything pass 650Y with my reticle does not correspond as accurately.

Hold over work good until around 600 yds. After the "gap distances" are what's tricky. Look at feenix's reticle example above. The gap between 652-780 is large Let's say the shot is 710 where do you hold?It's not an equal distance between the two points to hit the target. More precise reticles and lots of practice you can figure that out but that is the down fall with hold overs when the distance's get far.

I used hold overs for a lot of year and took many animals out to 600yds.
Dialing is better for the longer distances