Shooting after cataracts surgery

Another ophthalmologist here. Many different lenses to choose from. If the astigmatism isn't a lot, you may not needed corrected. My lens of choice is an ey hancement, but talk to your doc.
Also an ophthalmologist. I agree with the above and use the eyehancement lens. I've had open site shooting patients that love the lens.

Update

I am using a 2.0+ Readers

Looking through the scope is no issues at all.

Looking through my Reddot is a little issue since I still have an astigmatism.

Pistol still working on that one. My dr gave me one contact for my left eye to try with the pistol since I shoot with both eyes opened. He's thinking since the eyes work together that should help correct the issue with the pistol

Hopefully trying that out sometime this week.

Thanks for the post, I am scheduled for next month. I thought the Dr. installed the correct lens based on the individual patient requirements?
RidgeTop:
Yes, that is correct. I spent roughly 1.5 hours getting tests, measurements, etc.
Thanks for the post, I am scheduled for next month. I thought the Dr. installed the correct lens based on the individual patient requirements?
Ridgetop:
Yes, that is true. I spent roughly an hour going through several tests and measurements a couple weeks prior to the surgery. All those measurements tell the surgeon which lens to implant understanding your wishes of near, far, both, etc. But those are further adjustable – tweaking every bit of improvement possible. It just takes up to three adjustments post-surgery.

Thanks for the info. Are all lenses adjustable or just the LAL?
RidgeTop:
My understanding is that only the LAL is adjustable. That is what sets it apart as the "premium" choice. There are other lens, however, for specific conditions. But the LAL lens is the one that is adjustable post-surgery – allowing the surgeon to best "dial in" your prescription.

got good new last week, went to get my new Drivers License and in So Dakota you have to take an eye test or supply a letter from you eye Dr. so I asked if I could take the test without my glasses and got the ok to do so and low and behold I passed so no glasses requirement on my license cataract surgery paid off

got good new last week, went to get my new Drivers License and in So Dakota you have to take an eye test or supply a letter from you eye Dr. so I asked if I could take the test without my glasses and got the ok to do so and low and behold I passed so no glasses requirement on my license cataract surgery paid off
Great to hear about your success with sight improvement. Gotta help with shooting, among so many other favorite activities. I'm beginning plans for the surgery too, so any hints/cautions are welcome.

it was a very easy surgery the first day slight pain the second day more pain during the surgery but not after. they do one eye one day second the next in case they screw up and do not want to mess up both eyes. the Dr told me that. 2 types of eye drops one type expensive one drop per eye for 30 days cost 168.00. the other was 3 drops per day for 30 days cost do not know went with the one drop and they burn. went back after a week for check up and after 30 days ordered a new pair of glasses. Medicare pays for the lenses and up to 125.00 for the frames. any extras on the lenses you ay like tint or no line bifocal. but it was so nice to see colors again bright and for a while could read without glasses

Wow surprised they did your eyes so close together I had to wait a month between eye surgeries. No pain at all. Just blurry the first few days. And 3 drop a day for 3 weeks then 2 drops 2 weeks then 1 drop 1 week
I was told they separate the surgeries because no insurance will pay for two surgeries on the day day.
Our "coverage" is not considered insurance. Instead it is a "reimbursement" approach to coverage.
As a result, I had both eyes done on the same day - 10 minutes apart. The surgery was even discounted because there was just one setup charge.

Cataract surgeon here. As Cemetery above stated, astigmatism is usually the only thing that will mess with your vision in a scope. That is where the eye is shaped more like a football than a basketball. It is correctable with glasses, but if you shoot without glasses the reticle will tend to be out of focus. Depending on your eye prescription you may or may not have a significant amount of astigmatism, but about 1/3 of the population has enough to need glasses.

In my practice I do many advanced technology lenses and tend to attract the hunter/shooter crowd just by word of mouth. I would shy away from lenses that are multifocal (Restor, Symfony, Panoptix, Tecnis multifocal, etc). For the hunter or "distance" demanding person they will give you less low contrast vision at far distance. This means less acuity in low light (dusk, dawn). For my hunters that want more spectacle independence I offer a distance option that corrects astigmatism (even the small amounts) and we aim to give the best distance vision without glasses and patients wear over the counter readers after. I would also recommend EDOF lenses (enhanced depth of focus). These give Great distance but also give some intermediate and near (just not as much near as a multifocal). This will keep the best distance vision needed for the prime hunting times but allow to see your phone and computer without glasses. For small print and reading for long periods a small pair of cheaters are usually needed. The lens I usually recommend in this category is the VIvity lens.

Feel free to PM me or reply here with any questions.
Hi,
Thanks for offering to take questions. I'm going in for cataract surgery. My doctor recommends the Light Adjustable Lens given my astigmatism, some maculur degeneration, and the fact I had RK surgery. I am left handed, left eye dominant, and shoot a rifle with a scope. I'm considering MonoVision. Should my dominant eye (THAT I USE FOR LOOKING THRU A RIFLE SCOPE) be corrected to see NEAR or FAR ?
Thanks, Jerry

Cataracts - I chose the Toric lens for both eyes and Far distance. Additionally, I usually shoot with transition lens glasses (no line trifocals) to correct my astigmatism and dry macular degeneration. For me, this combination allows me to see far and near and work on my 'small parts' shooting gear / scope at the bench. The combination of lens and glasses has been perfect for hunting.
Without my glasses, I focus on the target and simply place the blurred reticle on the desired spot.

Hi,
Thanks for offering to take questions. I'm going in for cataract surgery. My doctor recommends the Light Adjustable Lens given my astigmatism, some maculur degeneration, and the fact I had RK surgery. I am left handed, left eye dominant, and shoot a rifle with a scope. I'm considering MonoVision. Should my dominant eye (THAT I USE FOR LOOKING THRU A RIFLE SCOPE) be corrected to see NEAR or FAR ?
Thanks, Jerry
Go with what the doctor recommends. I am sure you have expressed your concerns to him.

I am set for June 9 for the start of surgeries on my eyes for cataract. I am just getting into long range shooting. I have a few different options on lenses for my eyes. But **** the price tag. I was thinking just a regular lens for distance. Anyone have cataracts and does it effect your shooting? And what type of lens did you have.
Everyone is different. I had dual cataract surgery at 68 in Dec '16, Jan '17. No super special, expensive whoopy doo lenses. I had a history of minor astigmatism as I recall. Maybe best side of luck of the draw??? Results were fantastic.....20/20 to 20/15 both eyes; no glasses for distance or reading or in between. No issues with scopes on the target, reticles, reading the dial graduations. can read smallest print.....really small minuscule font just needs good light. Still take drops for eye pressures due to pigmentation glaucoma....generational family trait; infrequently use moisturizing drops for dryness in winter when in arid climates, altitude. My son, a doctor....not optometrist...advised to closely check optometrist's record with other patients, he assisted through other doctors' contacts. The surgeon's work and the Rx on the lens implants are the secret to success.....and your specifics. Be ready for the world's color to POP once past the initial recovery period. You have forgotten how great colors and night vision were....not quite NODS, but great!!!!