Shooting after cataracts surgery

The eye had done yesterday is improving enough I'm not wearing glasses even though I still need surgery on the other eye next Monday.My eye was dilatated heavily and it takes some time for the eye to recover from all the drops and surgery.My vision is still a little come and go from a little blurry to good.The doctor told me this morning that it can take about three to four days before the vision gets clearer and stable.I can read the house number on a house down the street without glasses that I couldn't see for a while now with my glasses.I can sometimes read the text on my phone really easy and clear without any extra magnification.I may not even need reading glasses once both eyes are done.I'm so ready to have my next eye done now,just wish I didn't have to wait a week.

@Frog4aday - Update, I am seeking a Second Opinion. What resources are available to research the efficacy of the different manufacturers & lens types and success rates of the different IOC procedures?

Thank you for your consideration!
Hey Stever88
I understand your desire to research the various IOL choices to help you make an informed decision. I could google it and see what comes up (you could, too) but there isn't a single source of reliable comparison info out there I would feel confident pointing you to. I'm sorry.

The thing is this - doctors (ophthalmologists) do NOT want to put crappy lenses in your eyes. It is not in their best interest. Bad lenses and bad outcomes equals unhappy patients with complaints and bad word of mouth (especially with the internet's reach!) So...if I doctor wants to put a lens in your eye, it's 98 out of 100 times going to be a proven, trustworthy product. What about the 2% I didn't account for? Some doctors like to be on the cutting edge and 'testing' new product. We need those 'cowboys' out there, but you don't need to be the guinea pig. Just ask - "How many times have you implanted this lens in the past year?" If it isn't over 50 times in a year, you may want to ask for the more "proven" lens instead. Does this help?

For you, you could be totally happy with "standard" monofocal IOLs in both eyes despite your mild to moderate astigmatism. And the brand won't really matter as the ones docs are using are all very well proven (anti-glare, anti-UV, usually single piece and foldable). They are optically clear and precise and you would be happy post op. Whatever little remaining astigmatism you had would be cleared up entirely with a mild pair of prescription glasses. Seriously. You'd be HAPPY.

The toric lens is very much like the monofocal lens (well proven, good designs). It just helps clear up your astigmatism so you would not need 'cylinder' correction (or very little) in your post op glasses. Some people NEED it (the toric lens) because of the large amount of astigmatism. Other people can take or leave it (I would put you in that category.)

As for LAL (light adjustable lenses; a very cool lens!) or multifocal lenses, you are now looking at extra cost with some limitations that your doctor will tell you about. These are the lens options where researching would pay off, if you are thinking of going down this road, because this is where the 'innovation' is happening. Every company wants to make that lens that lets you see at all distances clearly and without compromise. So they are constantly trying 'new stuff'. Your doctor will know what's been working well and what the limitations are for each lens. ("That one gives a bit more glare"; "that one gives a bit better vision at intermediate and distance but at the expense of some near"; "that one is great for people that do mostly near work but need to see to drive occasionally", and so forth.)

What do YOU need? A doctor you TRUST! If you don't have that, ask to see another doctor. I'm serious. This is your vision. Demand to see a doctor you trust. If your current ophthalmologist has you questioning their motives or professionalism, you have the right to seek a second opinion. There are many good doctors out there. Some are phenomenal. But trust matters. I'm getting the feeling you aren't fully trusting your doctor. That's sad. I want to help! Really. But...I'm not a doctor and I don't feel comfortable "telling" you what you should do about selecting the right IOL for you. I don't know your eye history or medical history or your lifestyle, so I can't advise you. I hope you understand.

Find a doctor you feel is LISTENING to you and who gives you good info to help you make the right choice. I'm telling you now, there isn't one perfect lens that fixes everything and gives you the eyes of an 18 year old again. But there is a lens that will be best for YOU. Your doctor should be helping you figure out which one that is.

Last edited:
Good luck. My LRI in the left was a fail. Supposed to correct astigmatism, restore far sight. I now have a weird distortion on the left side of the left eye that messes with peripheral vision, I am near sighted, and have astigmatism. Still waiting on surgical center to get back to me to see what the plan is to fix this royal F up.
Hi Brent,
I'm so sad to read your post. You are rightfully frustrated and you deserve an explanation and a plan from your doctor on how he (or she) will work to make you happy.

LRI's can and do work but it is an incision in the cornea done by hand with a blade (usually a diamond blade, but there are others) so there is some variability in length of cut, depth of cut, and axis (placement on the eye) of the cut. All these variables can lead to over correction, under correction, or getting the correction slightly off the desired axis. Then there is the human patient variability, i.e., how does your eye respond to the incisions and heal afterward. Each person is unique in that regard.

It's all covered in the pre-op risks and benefits talk and paperwork you signed but we all hope OUR surgery will go perfectly and the warnings are just "lawyer talk" that doesn't really happen or effect us. We have to think that way. If we believed every warning we heard, then we would assume every person in California has cancer because every product sold there warns that it could cause cancer! It's frustrating. You just want to see well. That's what I want for you, too.

Keep us posted on what your doctor's plan is to make you happy. I'm praying for you.

The eye had done yesterday is improving enough I'm not wearing glasses even though I still need surgery on the other eye next Monday.My eye was dilatated heavily and it takes some time for the eye to recover from all the drops and surgery.My vision is still a little come and go from a little blurry to good.The doctor told me this morning that it can take about three to four days before the vision gets clearer and stable.I can read the house number on a house down the street without glasses that I couldn't see for a while now with my glasses.I can sometimes read the text on my phone really easy and clear without any extra magnification.I may not even need reading glasses once both eyes are done.I'm so ready to have my next eye done now,just wish I didn't have to wait a week.
Hey baldhunter,
It sounds like you are going to do well once your eye heals more and fully recovers from the surgery. The vision you already have so soon after is impressive (seeing things far away - i.e., house number you couldn't see previously, and being able to read near print without glasses); those are promising indicators.

Having to wait a week for your other eye to he operated on is frustrating but it is smart, too! Your doctor needs to make sure this first eye has the expected outcome (prescription-wise) and there is no infection present before touching the other eye. It's for your benefit and safety. I've seen many a time the lens power chosen for the second eye is changed once the doctor sees how your first eye turned out. Maybe just a slight tweek to the power, but it's a good thing as it helps them get you the absolute best overall outcome. Try to be patient, ha! You'll be happy in the end.

Hey Stever88
I understand your desire to research the various IOL choices to help you make an informed decision. I could google it and see what comes up (you could, too) but there isn't a single source of reliable comparison info out there I would feel confident pointing you to. I'm sorry.

The thing is this - doctors (ophthalmologists) do NOT want to put crappy lenses in your eyes. It is not in their best interest. Bad lenses and bad outcomes equals unhappy patients with complaints and bad word of mouth (especially with the internet's reach!) So...if I doctor wants to put a lens in your eye, it's 98 out of 100 times going to be a proven, trustworthy product. What about the 2% I didn't account for? Some doctors like to be on the cutting edge and 'testing' new product. We need those 'cowboys' out there, but you don't need to be the guinea pig. Just ask - "How many times have you implanted this lens in the past year?" If it isn't over 50 times in a year, you may want to ask for the more "proven" lens instead. Does this help?

For you, you could be totally happy with "standard" monofocal IOLs in both eyes despite your mild to moderate astigmatism. And the brand won't really matter as the ones docs are using are all very well proven (anti-glare, anti-UV, usually single piece and foldable). They are optically clear and precise and you would be happy post op. Whatever little remaining astigmatism you had would be cleared up entirely with a mild pair of prescription glasses. Seriously. You'd be HAPPY.

The toric lens is very much like the monofocal lens (well proven, good designs). It just helps clear up your astigmatism so you would not need 'cylinder' correction (or very little) in your post op glasses. Some people NEED it (the toric lens) because of the large amount of astigmatism. Other people can take or leave it (I would put you in that category.)

As for LAL (light adjustable lenses; a very cool lens!) or multifocal lenses, you are now looking at extra cost with some limitations that your doctor will tell you about. These are the lens options where researching would pay off, if you are thinking of going down this road, because this is where the 'innovation' is happening. Every company wants to make that lens that lets you see at all distances clearly and without compromise. So they are constantly trying 'new stuff'. Your doctor will know what's been working well and what the limitations are for each lens. ("That one gives a bit more glare"; "that one gives a bit better vision at intermediate and distance but at the expense of some near"; "that one is great for people that do mostly near work but need to see to drive occasionally", and so forth.)

What do YOU need? A doctor you TRUST! If you don't have that, ask to see another doctor. I'm serious. This is your vision. Demand to see a doctor you trust. If your current ophthalmologist has you questioning their motives or professionalism, you have the right to seek a second opinion. There are many good doctors out there. Some are phenomenal. But trust matters. I'm getting the feeling you aren't fully trusting your doctor. That's sad. I want to help! Really. But...I'm not a doctor and I don't feel comfortable "telling" you what you should do about selecting the right IOL for you. I don't know your eye history or medical history or your lifestyle, so I can't advise you. I hope you understand.

Find a doctor you feel is LISTENING to you and who gives you good info to help you make the right choice. I'm telling you now, there isn't one perfect lens that fixes everything and gives you the eyes of an 18 year old again. But there is a lens that will be best for YOU. Your doctor should be helping you figure out which one that is.
Amazing we get this advice on a site that isn't even about cataract surgery!

Hey Stever88

Thank you (again!) for your very considered and detailed response. You have very accurately identified my concerns and suggested an appropriate and propitious course of action that I believe will answer my concerns. I will proceed on those suggestions, make make my inquiries and decide on a course of action.

I must say that I do feel better about what needs to be done - Thank You Sir!

After reseaching here first with the help off this thread,I was hoping my Doctor would suggest the Toric lense.I happy when he told me he was going to use the Toric lense.I had my surgery Monday and it's now Friday as I"m writing this.My vision has improved beyond my expectations and has improved more everyday.The Doctor said I might have to still use reading glasses,but I tell you,I can read the type on my phone without any glasses from as far out as I can extend my arm and still able to read it as close as the end of my nose.The other thing I noticed,I can now see open sights on my rifles and pistols really well now.I think it's probably been at least 35yrs or so that I could do that Monday I get my left eye done I am so ready.I haven't worn glasses since the day after my surgery,so my left eye is blurry and my right is clear.It's causing some eye strain and my vision wants to blend sometimes.

Last edited:
I had my second surgery Monday.My vision is remarkable and still improving with clarity.The eye I had done last week is really super clear and much relieved now since my second eye has been done.I got to look about 5 miles across the bay yesterday.I was amazed how clear and detailed the structures looked at that distance.I could never see as well with glasses.I'm even able to read small print without reading glasses and my vision is still in the healing stage.I am very happy with my Toric lenses.

Hope to have this someday. Right eye is about due to be worked on, but the left is going to have to be fixed. Follow up with the surgery center definitely shows a new lense, PRK, or some other option is going to take place. New apt to determine plan is on the 26th. In the meantime, going to try a contact to see if it removes the astigmatism effect.

After three months from my cataract surgery and numerous post op visits, the doctor finally diagnosed my issue with my blurry vision. IOL rotated 40 degrees from where it should be. Long story short, I am going back into surgery tomorrow morning to correct. Hard to believe rotation occurred that much post op… a few degrees I can understand, but 40?…not sure.

After three months from my cataract surgery and numerous post op visits, the doctor finally diagnosed my issue with my blurry vision. IOL rotated 40 degrees from where it should be. Long story short, I am going back into surgery tomorrow morning to correct. Hard to believe rotation occurred that much post op… a few degrees I can understand, but 40?…not sure.
At least you know now. I go in tomorrow to see the plan is. So annoying. My other eye is really bad now, have to have surgery assp

Recent Posts