Sheep mount back.

Thanks, every picture I can find helps! I'm just looking to finds a ram that I want to look at every day and it makes me smile I got a bighorn, not looking for score but definitely want to shoot a good representative ram for the area!

I'm lucky I can sheep hunt out my back door. My grandfather was a sheep hunter as well my dad so it was hard wired into me. Training for sheep requires some good legs and cardio I'm no athlete but I do keep up hiking all year and closer to sheep season I work harder. My stair stepper with alll my gear on really helps me out on the rainy days or early mornings. Depending on what kind of sheep hunting you are doing and for how long will dictate your gear. If your going out for a 10 day back pack hunt good waterproof light gear is in order. I typically get out on 1-3 day outings and use horses so I can pack different.
Good glasses ,Spotter are a must. A gun that you are comfortable shooting is a must. I used to carry light weight rigs but now 9lbs scoped is my comfort gun for long shots.
Good boots , Gators , hiking poles and most important to me is a comfortable pack. I use Mystery Ranch but there are lots out there make sure you get one that you can pack heavy loads for days comfortably.
I'm not sure where you hunt is booked but if it's in a rainy wet area get some goood light weight rain gear.
I think there a lot of good threads on this web site that cover gear and of course everyone is different in what they pack or wish to pack.
Good luck on your hunt,sheep hunting is one of the best hunts you can experience in my opinion.
My hunt is booked in the Brooks Range up in the Arctic Circle. We will be packing and spike camping for 11 days.

That's a great looking sheep ! I too would leave the bullet hole. Just adds character and tells part of the story. Congrats !

Beautiful job on the pedestal, and a really nice sheep. I have a sheep story, although I want sheep hunting. In 2010, my wife bought me a guided elk hunt for me for doing my last deployment to the middle east. So my outfitter says the last 5 miles to the base camp was 4WD only. So I'm turning off this gravel road into this 4WD road, and in front of my truck is a band of about a half dozen sheep. I was thinking about what in the world sheep were doing out there. Off to my left, about 15 feet up, there stood a ram, and I'm thinking "that's weird". Well, directly, that ram jumped off that rock, and got right in front of my truck, not 3 feet away, and was staring me down. I'm thinking, is that really a Bighorn ram standing right in front of my truck? How cool is that? Anyway, after about a minute, the ram decides he's either bored or I'm not a threat or whatever, so he just turns and walks away. When I got to basecamp, I asked the outfitter if I had actually seen what I thought I seen, and he said yep, sure did. He also guided sheep hunters in the same area. Probably never see another bighorn ram, but it sure was a cool encounter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.