Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

Couple quick comments on this.

First off to the OP the hunt you're doing this for is no zero doubt the toughest hunt in North America and most of the rest of the world so kudo's to you! Set aside a decade to get this done in and hunt each and every year. Most just can't wrap their heads around what you're attempting to do!

2nd comment regarding light rifles. Myself, no doubt I can shoot the rifles even just a bit heavierr quite a bit better and more consistently especially as one goes beyond 400 yards and time is not on your side to make the perfect nest.

I have a Montana 308 that does 3/4" at 100 as long as I'm on my game, but...when I take it to 400 and so forth it's easy for one of my shots from my group to take a ride. I have no doubt it's me and my poor technique as I don't have this issue with my other heavier rigs. If I toss one 4" out of a group at say 400, real world how far would I be off the mark if the range was twice as far and so on..........one's real quickly dealing with a animal that at best has a marginal hit on it.

My NULA in 270 weighs about a pound heavier and that for me removes those wild flyers from 400 on out.

Just a thunk to consider and my best to you on this hunt!

The anTI-X is not a titanium action, it's all stainless, a very good one though. Also the stock, barrel as well as the optic you listed are all way too heavy to make the target weight.
Well theres no scope thats ffp mil parralax adjustable thats lighter that I know of. Theres stocks that are a few ounces lighter but not with a vertical grip. And yes a #3 profile may save slightly more weight but I'd rather have a CF fat stiffer one.

Well theres no scope thats ffp mil parralax adjustable thats lighter that I know of. Theres stocks that are a few ounces lighter but not with a vertical grip. And yes a #3 profile may save slightly more weight but I'd rather have a CF fat stiffer one.
The VX-3i LRP in 4.5-14x50 is probably the lightest one and it was 20oz which is pretty good with all of those features. I wish they still made them. I might just have to get one before they're impossible to find anymore. On the other hand a Mark 5 3.6-18x44 is only 26 oz, granted that's on the lighter end for a scope like that it's not a one and only.

I weighed two Kimber barreled actions to see how they compare.

84M in 6.5CM w/22" BBL. Complete with bolt and trigger.
20211210_091246.jpg

8400 in 270WSM w/24" BBL Complete with bolt and trigger. Add ~1/2oz for the 0.264 bore and subtract ~2-1/2oz for 22" BBL makes it about 12oz heavier to go 6.5 PRC over the 6.5CM for equivalent builds using the Kimber action.
20211210_091152.jpg

A titanium bolt handle saves a little more than 1/2 oz. That makes 3lbs 4oz 84M in 6.5CM and 4lbs with a 8400 in 6.5 PRC both 22" barrels. I doubt you will get stock, bottom metal and magazine components at 1lb but should be able to do it with 1lb 12oz if careful. Barrel could be shortened and fluted but the extra grams are going to come with a high cost in $ and performance on some of the cuts. For example every inch of barrel saves 1-1/4+ oz but it comes with a speed cost. Trim the barrel of the PRC enough to equal the 84M CM weight and you've lost the speed increase of the PRC. To get the extreme light weight you are looking for comes with a high cost both dollars and performance too.

Last edited:
The VX-3i LRP in 4.5-14x50 is probably the lightest one and it was 20oz which is pretty good with all of those features. I wish they still made them. I might just have to get one before they're impossible to find anymore. On the other hand a Mark 5 3.6-18x44 is only 26 oz, granted that's on the lighter end for a scope like that it's not a one and only.
I have a vx-3 lrp 4.5x14x50 on my 270 wsm. They are lightweight but imo not as good as the Razor HD LHT line, and the vx-3's lrp's are not illuminated. I like having illumination for low magnification in dark woods for ffp scopes. The Mark 5's are but, I would much rather have the new ffp Razor HD LHT, better glass, reticle and 21.7 oz's. And am pretty sure the sfp Razor HD LHT 3x15x42 is only 19 oz. Though I dont care for sfp its a nice scope. Leopold has finally came out with a decent reticles with PR-1 and 2. But I still prefer the ebr reticles. Its personal preference mostly.

A few pics of some lightweights....
For you righties, an ultralight rifle is gravy, it's us lefties that have a challenge on our hands for anything but a T3.
For a righty (like my wife) I'd do a Kimber Montana and be done with it. Second pic is a LH NULA, third is a LH 700 .280 I built. last pic is a LH HS Prec. 300 WSM that I tweaked with some weight loss. I sold the gun after dealing with the recoil. :/

The SWFA 2-10x32 is the way to go for an ultralight. imho...
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10d6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10ba.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10ac.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_10aa.jpg

338 NM=My sheep gun if I ever get a tag. 7-2 oz. bare.

Attachments

• 338 chute.jpg
    338 chute.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 338 white.jpg
    338 white.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 92
I'm interested in putting together a sheep rifle. Thinking something around a 6.5 PRC and now for the tricky part.. would like the overall weight to be sub- 5lb scopeless sub 6 scoped. Would love for it to be carbon if possible but I get that may be unrealistic. Would prefer bolt but open to single shot if I could keep the barrel carbon.

What components could help me achieve this?
Maybe just get into better shape and then this won't be a issue for you. Not to mention it will help well beyond this hunt. Ultra light rifles or exercise, these are the choices we all have.

Maybe just get into better shape and then this won't be a issue for you. Not to mention it will help well beyond this hunt. Ultra light rifles or exercise, these are the choices we all have.
Here's one for ya. Ultralight rifles AND exercise. Why does it have to be one or the other?

Here's one for ya. Ultralight rifles AND exercise. Why does it have to be one or the other?
One has a payoff and the other is a novelty rifle. When sheep hunting, it's not sit and wait. It is climbing. Is that 2.5 lbs you saved going to make a huge difference? Probably not, conditioning your body is what is needed for sheep hunting.