Semi custom vs factory

jstreater69

Hey folks, got a question for y'all- im finally at the time in my life financially and time wise to try and give a big bull elk a run for his money, however I would like to buy a new a rifle aswell. Im debating whether to buy a factory rifle or to build off a 700 action. I plan for the gun to either be a 300WM, WSM, or RUM and my criteria for the rifle not entirely too heavy to lug for many miles, and most importantly a good shooter. I dont have a set budget yet (this thread is an attempt to come up with a number) so treat this more as a place to throw out any ideas or thoughts you may have in the semi-custom vs factory debate? Thanks yall!

Seekins PH2. See what you like or don't about it and adjust if needed. It will give you an affordable idea of what you like. They are a great example of a higher end factory rifle. If you identify things you would like to change build a custom to address those and you will get most of your money back on the Seekins with a quick, easy sale.

So I will say this; you are the shooter. Not the gun.

Are YOU a good enough shooter to justify a full custom?

Most full customs get sold at a loss or sit in the safe. If you do plan on doing one, it will be a purpose built rifle. I don't mean "for elk hunting." It will be a heavy tac driver or a light weight mountain gun. Most factory guns sit already kind of right in the middle.

Edit: two more comments later and I see you're thinking heavy

Frankly, most factory guns shoot better than most shooters on any given day.

Last edited:
This ^^^ an Elk Rifle to Me is, 8 1/2 Pounds,.. Max !
As the Hills are Rugged, rocky and pretty Steep with, lots of, "Down Fall's", in the Heavy Timber.
Most Elk ( 90-95 % ) ARE Shot at, LESS than,.. 400 Yards.
I have, a 10 1/2 Pound, Custom, "Tack Driver" BUT,. They DON'T Go, in the Back Country ( 5- 7 Miles from, the Truck ) with, Me !
Personally, I'd Hunt Elk with, a Tikka in .270 WSM or 7mm Rem Mag, 24 inch ( Both Will, Kill Elk, just Fine to, 800 Yds with, the RIGHT Bullet ! ).
Put the REST of Your Dollars, into a Good Scope ( 4 x 16x Zeiss ) and Lots of Ammo to, PRACTICE,.. Field Positions.

Last edited:
WHEN, the Winds are Howling and Snow / Rain's, Falling you WON'T want to, take an UN-weildy, Heavy Rifle, into the Dark Timber ***,..
*** WHERE, the Elk,. WILL,.. Be when, the Weather,. Gets, Ugly.

Last edited:
There's only one justifiable reason to build off a 700 Action, and that's if you already have one sitting around. To many high quality custom actions on the 700 Footprint to use a stock 700 action for a build. I assume you meant 700 footprint
Origin SA in 300 SAUM, CF Manners or Stockys if you wanna cut cost. Trigger Tech, 18-20" CF pipe from any of the reputable mfgs that do CF prefits. NF NX8 2-20 in your choice of reticle.

Plenty short, Plenty light, plenty of horse power for elk at any reasonable range.

If you decide later you want something smaller or faster for predators or medium size big game,....it's as easy as a barrel change.

I've been looking at a seekins, do you have any thoughts on the X-bolt long range? they look similar however i'd put money the seekins is better made
The only reason I said Seekins is they are easy to sell. Any factory rifle that is comfortable to you that you think checks all your boxes will work. The main point is, unless you already know exactly what you really want out of your rifle from stock, to barrel, to trigger to cartridge to chamber to bullet, a custom is still just going to leave you wanting eventually. As stated above, most any rifle will do from an accuracy/functionality standpoint. You won't know what is too light or too heavy or too whatever until you have carried a couple different rifles. The great thing about quality production rifles is you can usually recover most of your investment if you decide to move on. Cheap rifles and customs, not so much.

I would recommend you buy a Aero SOLUS or a Zermatt Origin for 700$-850$, Buy a barrel that is in the range of a 3-4 contour for $350-400$. Chamber/Thread at a reputable place for 400$. Buy a used stock like a Manners EH1/LRH, McMillian Game Hunter, AG composite...750-900$. Or MDT Field Stock for 250$ TriggerTech and bottom medal for 350-400$. This way you can buy prefits and change cartridges for future use. Custom gun and future growth potential and good resale value even just selling the parts.
Total Cost: 2825 - 2900$
VX3HD or VX5HD or Vortex Razor 4-25 LHT are all good scopes and can find deals frequently.
Trigger Tech has 4th July sales for primary at $119. Some can still be found.
With Black Friday around the corner deals can be had. I order all my barrels around this time, stocks, bottom medal and scopes if there are deals to be found.

Or, a .270 -.300 WSM / 7 Rem Magnum in, a Tikka T-3X for, $900. Plus an Adjustable Kydex Comb $60. Trig Spring $20 ( If even Needed ) LimbSaver, Recoil Pad, $35 Plus, a Zeiss 4-16x Scope and Mounts, $900 ( Total, Sub $1,950.00 ) ,. DONE !
With, Handload's ( Find, propper Bullet for, the bbl's, Twist ) MOST Tikka's will Shoot, 3/4" or Better, MOA, group's.
And at, 8 Pounds "All Up" they are, easy to Carry, back to the Truck with, 65-75 Pounds of, Quartered, Elk Meat,.. in your Pack !

Last edited:
I'd agree with the Tikka suggestion, in your caliber of choice.

I see you're from South Carolina, so I presume elk hunting out West is probably not going to be a common yearly hunt for you. Elk are huge, and most of them are shot well inside 400 yards, so a 1/4 minute magnum is not generally necessary. Minute of basketball at 400 will work.

What is typically necessary is climbing mountains, day after day, with rifle in-hand because stuff can happen fast in the timber. So, 10lb+ rigs that ride in a backpack scabbard can actually cost you opportunities.

If you like elk hunting, plan to do it every year, and find a place where 1/2 mile shots are common… then maybe build a rifle specifically for that type of hunting.