Scope recommendations for Prairie Dogs

Scopes with thin cross hairs work best for me as I can disect the dog better in the sight picture, and as I see the bullet impact, I can adjust clicks on the scope. Also, as the distance increases, your cross hair covers more of the dog, this is a critical issue. You do not want your cross hair being larger than the dog.

I shoot 6.5x20, 6x24, and 8x32s. I shoot a lot from 24x-28x.

If you use a mirage shield on your barrel, barrel heat will not be a factor, these are simply made with cardboard and double stick velcro. Sun shades make your scope darker, use them only if necessary.

One of the best scopes we ever used was a Baush and Lomb(bushnell) 12x32 that has a fine cross hair, small turrents, and repeatable click adjustments.

Last edited:
Turning this topic in a slightly different direction. I would also recommend you get a range finder to go along with your build. For many years I used a pair of Nikon Monarch binos with a small hand held laser range finder. Last year I got serious about finding an all in one solution. Sold the binos and range finder and purchased a pair of Revic BLR10B range finding binos. This really streamlined my ability to spot/range dogs and shoot! (Best money I spent in a while!) ;)

I use any rifle I have since I view it as practical practice. However for rifles that basically only get used for PDs I have gone with a few of the arken elp line. I want ffp and mil so it's an easy way to get there.
Good advice on the Arken! Very good glass, turrets, and reticles for a reasonable price. There are obviously better options, but we’re not going after red stag in New Zealand!

Amen for thin crosshairs. l don't need a video game in my scope. Fact is, newer scope reticles make me downright DIZZY. l believe lots of shooters feel the same way. The older Leupolds marked ''Made ln USA''
very expensive on the 'used' market. Check the prices on flebay and gunjoker. Newer Leupis are so hard and stiff to adjust while varying power. Leupi even came out with an extra long ''throw lever'' to help change power

Last edited:
Two years ago I went on a Prairie Dog hunt in South Dakota for 3 days too. I took two rifles, one with a 3x9 Leupold scope and another with a Leupold 4.5x14 scope . I found the 3x9 to be not enough and the 4.5x14 to be just fine. I took shots out to 500 yards but never connected at that range -- but found the 4.5x14 to be adequite at that range. Most of the shooting was from between 250 to 400 yards! Occasionally you'll have a very close shot under 30 or 40 yards -- so don't go too high on the low end of your scope! Have fun!

Last edited:
This is not my scope, used for example only. One of the very best p. dog and chucks scopes ever made: