Scope mounting

How close is to close to the barrel? I mounted a scope and it a 1/16 from the bottom of the scope to the barrel.View attachment 372537
The only requirement that I know, and I have been mounting scopes for almost 50 years is that the bell of the scope does not touch anywhere on the firearm. Another thing to consider that you want the scope mounted as low to the barrel as possible. To me it looks like this meets both of those requirements.

The only requirement that I know, and I have been mounting scopes for almost 50 years is that the bell of the scope does not touch anywhere on the firearm. Another thing to consider that you want the scope mounted as low to the barrel as possible. To me it looks like this meets both of those requirements.
Ok Teri, I'll bite (again)....what's your theory on why the scope has to be close to the barrel? I'm not trying to be an *** on asking this question, I truly want to learn. At this point I guess I'm totally ignorant? To me there's just so many factors to put into this I can't wrap my head around this blanket statement?

I have a scope mounted on a 45-70 that only fits a .040" feeler gauge. Never had a problem with it. 1/16" is a long ways in terms of clearance. I'd say the important part is you being comfortable looking through it

Ok Teri, I'll bite (again)....what's your theory on why the scope has to be close to the barrel? I'm not trying to be an *** on asking this question, I truly want to learn. At this point I guess I'm totally ignorant? To me there's just so many factors to put into this I can't wrap my head around this blanket statement?
The closer the scope is to the barrel the closer the trajectory of the rifle matches the scope. Go to Vortex and search scope mounting and they will give you the correct way to do it in one of he Vortex Nation podcasts. There is a lot of good information in those podcasts. If you are not a member of the Vortex Nation (Sign up is free) I would recommend that you do. That goes for everyone here since they do a lot of their podcasts on long range shooting.

Teri Anne is correct in respective for scope to barrel. BUT with all the new ballistic programs they can calculate bullet flight . When using ballistic programs you need to get the height of the scope center to the center of the bore correctly. Personally I always try to get the scope as close to the barrel without touching.

The other day my new toy arrived. I lightly installed one screw in each of the rings. I placed the scope in the rings, closed my eyes and raised the rifle to my shoulder, and opened my eyes. The scope was too low. I ordered higher rings. To me that is the only way to establish ring height.

In the heat of the moment I want to be looking right through the center of the scope when I shoulder it and am ready for the shot. Esthetics are not considered.

The other day my new toy arrived. I lightly installed one screw in each of the rings. I placed the scope in the rings, closed my eyes and raised the rifle to my shoulder, and opened my eyes. The scope was too low. I ordered higher rings. To me that is the only way to establish ring height.

In the heat of the moment I want to be looking right through the center of the scope when I shoulder it and am ready for the shot. Esthetics are not considered.
Myself also. I have an extremely long center of eye to top of cheek 3.8" so this is what works for me.

I like to be able to Look under the scope and locate game.

Attachments

• 5076D8B3-5641-4BEE-9A3A-EF2B19AA0FA0.jpeg
    5076D8B3-5641-4BEE-9A3A-EF2B19AA0FA0.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
How close is to close to the barrel? I mounted a scope and it a 1/16 from the bottom of the scope to the barrel.View attachment 372537
I mounted a Z-5 Swarovski / # 3 Bartlein / 7RM / Pierce TI / Terminator Brake / 7lb. That looked like your picture. Starting off I was trying to improve groups size, took it to my GS he said it was too close. ( I could slide a dollar bill ). We took the scope off and he showed me a small shiny spot on the scope, which he said it was touching during recoil.
I put on higher rings, it did not effect group size. But it did surprise me the scope flexed to that degree during as the rifle was recoiling.