Scope mounting

That might actually be too close. Scope/barrel whip may come into play and a little light bumping there🤷🏻‍♂️. If you where not shooting a magnum it might not be a deal but…. Might still shoot just fine but if it where me I would at least double that distance. Most of mine are around 4 times that distance and I feel that is perfect. Just me 2cent.
You won't have a problem with it. I set mine as low as possible and as long as I can see daylight between to barrel and the scope bell or slide a dollar bill between I'm good. Never had any issues with it regardless of cartridge I was shooting.

I still don't understand why the scope has to be as close to the barrel as possible? Can someone please explain this?

I have a Ruger American 7.62x39.
Great shooter with wolf ammo
My vortex scope is only 1 3.5 x 5 note card thickness from scope bell touching the barrel. You think I should raise it up with a little higher scope rings. Marty

Last edited:
With your scope mounted higher especially like with the 50mm bells or larger you end up holding your head up higher so you don't have a good cheek weld with your stock and accuracy can and will suffer if your not shooting off a bench. The lower the scope, the better the cheek weld, all things being equal. That's why when itting a stock for a client, I almost always recommend a 40 to 42mm scope bell and no larger. If a person has a real fat or long face, it's not as much of an issue.

With your scope mounted higher especially like with the 50mm bells or larger you end up holding your head up higher so you don't have a good cheek weld with your stock and accuracy can and will suffer if your not shooting off a bench. The lower the scope, the better the cheek weld, all things being equal. That's why when itting a stock for a client, I almost always recommend a 40 to 42mm scope bell and no larger. If a person has a real fat or long face, it's not as much of an issue.
I understand that, just always heard that it had to be as close as possible. I think it should be explained in terms of the proper cheek weld, not as close as possible. I've shot Monte Carlo type stocks that did no favor having the scope as close to barrel as possible and other instances the situation you are explaining having to lift your head. In today's world with adjustable combs, slanted MOA bases and new stock designs, I think the blanket statement of closer is better doesn't always fit. I'm not really going anywhere with this so I'll just leave it at that. Had to throw a little rant out there, just one of those days😏

I find if I'm shooting at the range, and more than 4 or 5 rounds, close on the barrel will get a lot of mirage. 12 or 15 rounds will be like looking at the bottom of a swimming pool.

I find if I'm shooting at the range, and more than 4 or 5 rounds, close on the barrel will get a lot of mirage. 12 or 15 rounds will be like looking at the bottom of a swimming pool.
And yet, another reason to NOT be so close to the barrel😀

Ok.....I'll stop now

I understood the rule of thumb is as close to the barrel as posibe.
I Ignore that! WHY? Look at the arc of the bullet. i set up one rifle, 17 Rem, with HIGH or x high mounts. NOW when the bullet is rising and gets up to 1/2" below the line of sight, continues rising ABOVE the line of sight 1/2" and BY THE TIME, it drops one inch again to be 1/2 inch below line of sight- i can shoot a Coyote IN THE EYE holding dead on the pupil from- ARE YOU READY? from 75 yds to 200 YDS!! +/-. My 25 gr are 4230 fps. which helps, BUT, This would be absolutely & totally impossible with a lower mounted scope. IMPOSSIBLE!
That said- ok mirage is a good reason - for TARGET and prarie dog shooters- maybe pigs now too lol.
1) Good cheek weld is critical
2) a higher scope mount often makes "canting" more noticible. imo
3) Canting or tilting the rifle,, you "sent" the bullet on a trajectory left or right of intended and you could be holding dead nuts on- But...
4) a bubble level and USING it will surprise you how many times your badly canted.
5)***** Now - If SOMEONE can give me a good practicle theory or reason why why,why- a scope JUST ABSOLUTELY MUST BE mounted as close to the barrel as possible, other than the Marines did it or someone told me- id like to hear it. Other than what i've mentioned, and cheek weld is #1, a stock can always be mod'd to "raise" cheek weld.
*** I suppose in war time- "Billy don't be a hero," - "keep your head down" is a Good reason too. lol

I Ignore that! WHY? Look at the arc of the bullet. i set up one rifle, 17 Rem, with HIGH or x high mounts. NOW when the bullet is rising and gets up to 1/2" below the line of sight, continues rising ABOVE the line of sight 1/2" and BY THE TIME, it drops one inch again to be 1/2 inch below line of sight- i can shoot a Coyote IN THE EYE holding dead on the pupil from- ARE YOU READY? from 75 yds to 200 YDS!! +/-. My 25 gr are 4230 fps. which helps, BUT, This would be absolutely & totally impossible with a lower mounted scope. IMPOSSIBLE!
That said- ok mirage is a good reason - for TARGET and prarie dog shooters- maybe pigs now too lol.
1) Good cheek weld is critical
2) a higher scope mount often makes "canting" more noticible. imo
3) Canting or tilting the rifle,, you "sent" the bullet on a trajectory left or right of intended and you could be holding dead nuts on- But...
4) a bubble level and USING it will surprise you how many times your badly canted.
5)***** Now - If SOMEONE can give me a good practicle theory or reason why why,why- a scope JUST ABSOLUTELY MUST BE mounted as close to the barrel as possible, other than the Marines did it or someone told me- id like to hear it. Other than what i've mentioned, and cheek weld is #1, a stock can always be mod'd to "raise" cheek weld.
*** I suppose in war time- "Billy don't be a hero," - "keep your head down" is a Good reason too. lol

I also ignore the "conventional wisdom" due to similar experiences to yours with high mount systems on my precision AR's. I may pay attention to scope height to tune cheek weld/ergonomics, overall effect on rifle size/height, or aesthetics. The effect on trajectory with my long range rifles with heights ranging from 1/16" to 1/2" are nil.

Last edited:
Close to the barrel or 12" off the barrel if you shoot 4-5 rounds and see mirage in the close one you are going to see it in the other.

Its too low for my high performance 6.5 Creedmoor. I shoot so many rounds through it that the heat causes contact to the scope, due to thermal expansion when it's that close,

🎣

— it just sucks for any type of scope cover.

Last edited: