Scope mounting

ridge86

How close is to close to the barrel? I mounted a scope and it a 1/16 from the bottom of the scope to the barrel. E2C88BEB-7DAE-4C9D-B856-F30CD44E061E.jpeg

That might actually be too close. Scope/barrel whip may come into play and a little light bumping there🤷🏻‍♂️. If you where not shooting a magnum it might not be a deal but…. Might still shoot just fine but if it where me I would at least double that distance. Most of mine are around 4 times that distance and I feel that is perfect. Just me 2cent.

Are you using a scope cap on the objective? If so, that looks too close. I like at least a credit card thickness after the cap is on. That said, that's just what I'm comfortable with. I have no evidence to suggest that's correct. My English teacher would be cringing right now. Too many "that's" in THAT post.

You are going to get some noticeable heat mirage looking through that scope as soon as the barrel heats up. The barrel isn't going to whip 1/16 of an inch at the shank and make contact with the bell, but you aren't leaving much room for general forgiveness. I would put it higher, but part of that is personal preference for comfort getting behind the scope because of my high cheek bones. Obviously everybody's face is different, but I would give yourself a little more room to work, especially if you will be shooting from different positions.

I understood the rule of thumb is as close to the barrel as posibe. However, when I mount a scope i make sure it is correct for where my eye is in relation to the rifle. In other words, if I have have to do weird things so I can look thru the scope because is so close to the barrell, then I imove i t up so have a good check weld and striaght on view.

Recent Posts