Scope maxes out before it is zero

I don't see how the Leupold base and rings good overcome the misalligned holes.

Have you checked with Ruger to see if they would fix the problem?

The barrel may be bent. That would explain why a bore sight wont align the crosshairs on the scope. Also would explain why the straight edge is not centered with the barrel.

If it's a situation that the Z-rings will cure, the Leupold windage/screw base should have the same results.

I helped a guy at the range that was also out of windage adjustment and still 1 1/2 feet right of the bull. He had the Leupold base, but didn't know how it worked. We centered the windage dial and then adjusted the base cross-screw until crosshairs and bore were both on the bull. Two shots later, he was dead center in the bull.

This may or may not correct your problem, as I'm not familiar with your scopes windage total adjustment. I would strongly suggest you use alignment bars, tip to tip, tightened in your rings, to see just how far out the screws are before you purchase any others. You can put a lot of torque on the tube, that will ruin your scope, if the screw holes are that badly out of spec.

Send the rifle back with a nice letter. The screws looks square with the flats on the action.

i would send that picture to them , also i would remove the stock and run the straight edge down both of the side of the action and compare the distance away from the muzzle on both sides

could be the action thread sending barrel out left field
or, if the scope holes are not in line with the action/receiver

this is a rugar american rifle ??

you wont want to be seeing through the far right of the windage , or the scope wont be as clear as it can .. someone posted earlier -- center the windage then make base adjustments to get you center , that'll keep you looking through the clearest part of the glass

Last edited:
Have you tried any other bases and rings just to make sure you don't have a bad set? Either way a set of 2 piece Leupold standard bases with the rear windage adjustment will fix whatever it is. I usually set the windage on the scope to the center of the travel then use the rear base to set the windage pretty close. Just remember the front one )dove tail) probaly isn't going to move when you do it so it is helpful to remove the top of the rings and adjust the front into alignment with the rear to prevent torque. At that point you should be good to go. I wouldn't do the final ring adjustment until centered at 100 yards. I don't use them much any more but if this problem presents it's self I go there without hesitation. Hope this helps. And this is just the way I have corrected this issue.

Send the rifle back or just use a set of Burris Signature rings which will resolve the problem.
BTW - I had the exact same problem on a full custom rifle. It should not have happened, but it did. Signature rings resolved the issue at the time.

Well I put a set of leupold standard bases and rings just be cause a local guy had some I was able to use the windage screws on the mount to find center on my boresight. But man it is way to the right. I appreciate the input I think I will call river and see what they say. I will be sure and post their response. Thanks again for input

Well I put a set of leupold standard bases and rings just be cause a local guy had some I was able to use the windage screws on the mount to find center on my boresight. But man it is way to the right. I appreciate the input I think I will call river and see what they say. I will be sure and post their response. Thanks again for input

send an email to whoever you end up talking to ... that picture says everything you need to say

Ya I will do that I just need to talk with some one to figure out an email to send it too their online email form wouldn't allow for a picture to be added

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.