Scope maxes out before it is zero

Gills

i have mounted a vortex diamondback scope on a Rutgers American rifle. Did it the same way I always have. Vortex rings on factory mount. Sighting in I could only get the rifle to 1-1/2" left at 25 yrds and the right adjustment was maxed out. I have checked the rings they are aligned right I have mounted them in both directions also put a Nikon buckmaster sscope on it and it maxed out and was on the same spot as the vortex on the bore sight. The odd thing is if you rotate the scope 90 degrees and use up down adjustment for left right and left right for up down it seems to work. I'm at my wits end any ideas

Sounds to me like the scope base holes could possibly be incorrectly drilled. Can you post a pic of your setup, that could perhaps help with a remedy. Is this scope new or have you used it on other rigs before. It is pretty common for most scopes to have very little travel for windage when compared to elevation but there should be more than enough to correct for minor imperfections in scope base alignment.

Last edited:
Remmy is probably right you will probably need to get a base that has some windsge adjustments like Leupold makes not sure if anyone else's makes them you could probably use Burris signiture rings with the inserts to good luck

Is it possible the Bore Sight isn't working properly? Could you try firing on a 25 yd or 50 yd range and see if the bullet impact agrees with the Bore Sight?.

E44F721F-88F2-4308-8BAF-10596DABC8BC.jpeg

I tried shooting it at 25 yds with both scopes the vortex and the Nikon with the same results. The only thing I can come up with is the mount holes for the bases are off I'm going to lay a straight edge on them the length of the fun to see how they compare to the barrel next idk maybe that won't tell me anything

Looks as if the screw holes are miss aligned straight edge against right side of all four screws and ends up right of barrel at the end.

I know that this is probably a stupid question. But in the picture it almost looks like the bell of the scope is touching the barrel?

Thanks for taking the pictures while evaluating the situation and telling us what you found.

Now it's a matter of dealing with the manufacturer. If that doesn't work out you can try the Burris Z-rings as suggested or sell the rifle.

Are the z rings my only option would the leupold mounts and ring work as well

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.