Scope for light weight rifle

I'm a Vortex guy so this my be a bit bias but I have the AMG on a couple of rifles and find it awesome and perhaps the best weight (lowest) in "big magnification scopes". I also have the LHT as well and love it. Very light as others have mentioned. Turrets are robust and track repeatedly. Glass is very doable edge to edge & light transmission is amazing for a 42mm bell. 20MOA rail on mine...plenty of adjustment. Did not think I would dig the i5 reticle but it has really grown on me and I have found it very uncluttered and efficient. The only bummer I have found on the scope would be the "push button illumination. That is a bit cumbersome and could have been better thought out but that's not a deal killer. As light weight optics go it is a winner.

I'm building a light weight 5 1/2 pound rifle and wondering what the best scope is that weighs no more than a pound. It doesn't make any sense to me to spend more money to go light only to put a heavy scope on it. I'm looking at a Leupold
VX3i 4-14 30mm tube with a windplex but if there is something better out there that isn't over a pound I'm interested. I don't shoot over 800 yards.
Leupold 4x14.5 x40

I'm building a light weight 5 1/2 pound rifle and wondering what the best scope is that weighs no more than a pound. It doesn't make any sense to me to spend more money to go light only to put a heavy scope on it. I'm looking at a Leupold
VX3i 4-14 30mm tube with a windplex but if there is something better out there that isn't over a pound I'm interested. I don't shoot over 800 yards.
Good choice, 1" tube in the same scope should be better, light, tough and clear

I'd want something more reliable than a Leupold on any hunting rifle. Their erector system is just not reliable. I've switched to the Zeiss V4 and what a difference. I can dial with confidence now.

One of my favorite light weights is a vortex LH 3-15, with the MOA reticle. 16oz

I hold over, but only shoot that rifle to @500. I think is is the best option for my light weight guns.

but as it seems to go, they stopped making that scope.

One of my favorite light weights is a vortex LH 3-15, with the MOA reticle. 16oz

I hold over, but only shoot that rifle to @500. I think is is the best option for my light weight guns.

but as it seems to go, they stopped making that scope.
I agree and I have that same scope on my 5.5 pound HS precision rifle. It is a great combo and is my go to mountain rig.

I had a LHT it has sub par glass. I like my Vx5hd 3-15x44 or V4 4-16. IMO a 44 is all I ever needed during legal hours. My swarovski Z6 has better glass.

The Vortex Razor HD LH is a decent scope too if you're considering going 1" unfortunately they're discontinued. But I know a guy that has one he'd sell if you're interested😉. It's a 3-15x42mm and it's right at 1lb, has size focus and the turret isn't terrible to run, it's just capped.

Last edited:
I went thru the same dilemma, I wanted to dial elevation, best I have found is the 2.5-10 Nightforce compact. Is 20 oz, not the lightest option, but I will sacrifice the 4oz for the confidence it brings. Interested in what others think on this, I am always looking for light weight options.
I had one, and I regret having sold it.

I have a Z5i 2.4-12x50 BT on my new 5lb 308. Happy with it so far, but only about 100 rounds and a couple whitetail hunts.

Zeiss 4x14x44 sfp with your choice of reticles. check classifieds here or Adoramma, or B&H photo
I have several with the older rapid z 800 reticle. 17 oz, no dialing required.