Light weight scope question

COBrad

I have a 5 lb NULA coming. I've been researching scopes and have a weight limit of 16 oz, although I have been sorely tempted by a few 20 ouncers.
I want high quality glass and MOA turrets that are accurate and repeatable. This rifle will hunt elk every year, but it will shoot far more marmots and a lot of turret turning will happen for that.
So far Leupold seems to offer everything I want. The VX5HD 2-10 with CDS-ZL2 turrets looks about perfect, as does the Swarovski Z5 3-18, or the Z3 4-12. Only problem with the Swaro is their turrets, they are quarter inch instead of quarter minute. Small difference but shooting at marmots out around 700 yards the difference is a hit or a near miss. I use a G7 BR2 rangefinder and it gives me MOA corrections. I've also looked hard at the Loopy 2.5-8 VX3i from Hollands with their ART reticle and cds knobs.
Is there anything else out there to recommend that would fit my parameters?

Now is the time to buy SWFA, but it doesn't make the weight...

I've had a vortex razor LH 3-15x42 coming up on a year now, I got it for a really good price. I had pretty low expectations going in, but it tracks and it meets the criteria.

Im slowly replacing all my vx3 2.5-8x36's - they're a great scope for 'MPBR' hunting, but not so great for small targets (or any targets really) beyond 400yd. The 3.5-10's are a little more versatile. If you seriously want to hit a marmot at 700, I'd suggest 12x or more and a parallax knob.

I think the G7 RF also gives corrections in yards, which would not be a problem if you got a ballistic turret for your z-5 scope from Swaro - I have one for my Z-5 and like it.

I have one of the Nightforce 2.5 x 10 but the 32mm obj can be a bit challenging finding distant targets - at least it is for me.

I know the Leupolds you cited don't have a parallax adjustment which was a major problem for me when shooting long range. The 3-18x44 VX-6 is 19oz and has parallax adjustment, so does the VX-5 3-15x44, same weight & they use the same glass.

Last edited:
I am curious why your decision revolves around 4oz as opposed to quality features. I would gladly give up 4oz for quality upgrade.

Other ideas for saving 4oz:
-shave your face
-blow your nose
-leave your wallet in the truck
-only wear one pair of socks
-might be a sensative subject but the gym might be a good idea.
-shave your back and chest
-a #2 would put most men WAY beyond 4oz
-belt buckle
-car keys
-gold Chain stays home

I'll move on as I think that scope decisions based on 4 oz is obsurd.

...I've been researching scopes and have a weight limit of 16 oz, although I have been sorely tempted by a few 20 ouncers.
Curious as to what is limiting you to 16? Is it preference or is there another factor such as rules, etc for something we don't know of?

So far Leupold seems to offer everything I want. The VX5HD 2-10 with CDS-ZL2 turrets looks about perfect...
The VX5HD 2-10 and VX6HD 2-12 both caught my eye for light weight scopes, but I don't believe either has parallax adjustments. For shooting varying distance out to around 700, that's likely going to give you heartburn at some point.

If there are no governing rules on your 16oz restriction, I'd give the VX6HD 3-18 and the VX5HD 3-15 a serious look. It's 3-4 more ounces, sure, but as others mention, it ticks other boxes that may prove more useful than the weight savings.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.