Scope cover

I hunt in rain and snow and "like it",haha.Neoprene covers are what finally gave the protection needed.Rifle may sit for hours propped on shooting sticks,if feeling charitable it might get a pce of camo sumthinorother thrown over the whole action?But just as often,nothing but scope cover.

Last year on a hunt I had a momma moose and her calf step out on a trail just 20yards in front of us walking right at dusk. The Scopecoat came off quick, had things got dicey I could have shot in an instant. Luckily we were able to back away and let her be on her way w\o confrontation. I was glad i practiced "snap shooting" with the Scopecoat from a slung position!
James

Most of us never dial for windage or elevation when hunting. Not enough time usually. so really all we need is protection for the lenses.

Used Butler Creek for decades B/C they were the only game in town but now I prefer Vortex by far.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Butler Creek. Yes, I have seen them break, but not with frequency.

I have tried the Vortex and they are higher quality. Issue is even when tight fitting...VERY tight, when carried on a sling, I had them repeatedly come off. Not very useful sitting on the trail. Found the front one 2 days later walking out. I'll keep using them but will find some way of gluing them on better.

Butler Creek NEVER come off like that....

I've used a lot of different brands, switched to a Scopecoat a while back and think it's the best option for most hunting situations

+1 on the scope coat. Especially when the rifle is secured to my pack because I feel like it give a little protection to the scope. On a side note I also like the rubber Bikini scope covers. They work good in rain and cost about 5 bucks at wallmart.

I've had flip up caps break, come loose, and lost. I now use a scope coat and love it. Keeps the scope nice, snug, and dry, especially in poor weather. I wouldn't want to tether it to my rifle or scope just because it would hang in the way, unless it was long enough I guess. But, I'll usually stuff it in my coat pocket when I tug it off. It hasn't fallen out... yet.

I have both scope caps (I prefer the Vortex defenders) and full neoprene scope covers. I like the scope caps on non-backpacking/backcountry hunts where a shot is more likely to happen fast and I'm not busting through brush. On backpack backcountry hunts I like the additional protection that the neoprene cover provides over my whole scope, especially over my turrets.

Neoprene full scope covers are not what I would recommend for backpack hunting because they are added weight. Good individual scope covers like those from Vortex are sufficient for backpack hunting where every ounce counts.

However for horse packing or ATV carry I can easily see the need for neoprene full scope covers.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts