Scope cover

I just knew I would get at least one person asking this question. I am sure someone might even start their own ebay business and not remember me. OK FREE ADVICE GIVEN TO THOSE IN NEED, WHICH IS ALL OF US> I AM A STRONG BELIEVER IN WHAT GOES AROUND EVENTUALLY COMES BACK TO YOU> SO ...... I suggest a person shop at various thrift stores in search of neoprene. There is various stretch types available 50%-100%, so test it before your final buying to make sure you have enough elastic "give". Their is also various thickness so select accordingly. I bought a childs wetsuit for $3.00, From this purchase I have made 7 scope covers. With a chalk, I marked the ends after laying on the scope I wanted to cover. I added 1 inch to both ends, Since my neoprene did not have much give. I turned the material over, so that after sewing the end result would be inside out. I sewed both ends using double nylon thread( less likely to rot then cotton thread.). If you don't know how to sew ask older women and it is straight forward how to. Space stitches 1/8" apart. when all finished sewing turn inside out, this puts your stitches on the inside nice and neat and less likely to hold dirt and moisture. A person could use some type of glue to seal the sewing seem if they want, That is your choice, I did not want to chance it. So there you go, I wonder what kind of payback or even thank yous, I will receive :):)

ODAVID
"To him much is given, much is expected"

Good "glues" for seam sealing are SEAM GRIP and SHOE GOO. REI has both. SHOE GOO is for shoes but works great on neoprene and is a bit tougher than SEAM GRIP, which is mainly for urethane coated tent material.

In fact SHOE GOO is great as a protective coating on packs where you see some wear beginning to occur.

Eric B.

I used to use a neoprene scope cover/scope coat and taped my muzzle with electrical tape. It worked great so that's one option. Now I use a rapid rifle cover. It is similar to a scope coat but adds the muzzle cover. I really like it.

Years back before all the wonderfull new products came along, we used an old tire tube to make our own and they worked very well.
Just slide the rear part up and the whole thing came off by itself.
Today the hardest part might be finding an old tire tube.

Years back before all the wonderfull new products came along, we used an old tire tube to make our own and they worked very well.
Just slide the rear part up and the whole thing came off by itself.
Today the hardest part might be finding an old tire tube.

Try a Harley Dealer.....spoked wheels still use them.
IMG_2500.JPG

My favorite is the rapid rifle cover. Protects the barrel and scope. Easy on and off. Weighs very little. American made.

I've tried the butler creek caps but they don't hold up to the abuse that I evidently put my scope through. I literally broke one every time I went out on a hunt. I have switched to the scope coat neoprene covers and like them but I need to figure out a way to keep it tethered to the weapon.
Have you considered using plastic zip ties, the type used to secure electrical wires?

I looked at them, and are wondering do they come off as quick and easy as BC flip ups? no offence but again only looking at a picture, they seem to be more involved to remove then flip ups. I can open both of my BC flip ups at the same time, with my thumbs only.
Sorry, i went back and edited my post. They didn't work well, too much neoprene between scope and action. I'm using scopecoat now.

I use the Nightforce flip up caps with a Scopecoat neoprene scope cover over the flip caps. Protects the rifles optics while slung and on the move.

Scope coat needs a pull loop on the eyepiece side!!!!
My US Optics and Tangent Theta scopes fall in-between sizes and are a bit too snug.

Someday I'm going to sew in my own.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.