scope advice based on cartridge, rifle and species?

VX5HD or VX6HD

At least 3 on the low end and then as high up as you want to go on the high end. I am not a FFP guy for hunting, but for some freaking reason I just picked up a brand new Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5-25x50 FFP...mailman dropped it off today and I am sitting here looking at the box wondering what I was thinking. This would be my 3rd attempt at trying to like FFP if I decide to keep it...SMH

SFP or FFP?
I am a FFP guy myself. And I have a sub-8# .280AI as well. I ran a Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50 on it at first. Amazing scope. But I had the itch for a March F 3-24×52 for a long time. So I swapped to that scope. Awesome hunting scope. Good low end @ 3x, awesome high end @ 24x, great turrets, repeatable and accurate tracking, good hunting reticles (mine is FML-1), lightweight @ 24.4oz, compact, low profile turrets, good glass. But not cheap.

Lancetkenyon, I'm thinking of buying a March 3-24 x 52 like you have.
Have you done a tall target test to see how accurate the tracking is?
Is the tracking accurate to being within 1/10 MOA?
And finally, where is a good place to buy the March scope from?

SFP or FFP?
I am a FFP guy myself. And I have a sub-8# .280AI as well. I ran a Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50 on it at first. Amazing scope. But I had the itch for a March F 3-24×52 for a long time. So I swapped to that scope. Awesome hunting scope. Good low end @ 3x, awesome high end @ 24x, great turrets, repeatable and accurate tracking, good hunting reticles (mine is FML-1), lightweight @ 24.4oz, compact, low profile turrets, good glass. But not cheap.

You March scope fans - I heard their warranty is only for 5 years...is that true? They don't even offer a limited lifetime warranty? I have looked into them a couple times and really like their weight and zoom range, but spending all that money for something they are only backing for a 5 year period is a tough pill to swallow for me.

You March scope fans - I heard their warranty is only for 5 years...is that true? They don't even offer a limited lifetime warranty? I have looked into them a couple times and really like their weight and zoom range, but spending all that money for something they are owws limit here nly backing for a 5 year period is a tough pill to swallow for me.

I read somewhere that Japan laws limit the length of warranty but that March will take care of customers past the warranty period.
I don't know if that's true.
Does anyone have experience with March's service?
My first scope was a Leupold. After 43 years mold appeared inside the scope. Leupold replaced with a new, and better scope.

I'm looking for a long range scope in SFP that has accurate and repeatable tackling. March has the ideal features, I'm just trying to learn more about the tracking accuracy and repair service past the warranty period.

I read somewhere that Japan laws limit the length of warranty but that March will take care of customers past the warranty period.
I don't know if that's true.
Does anyone have experience with March's service?
My first scope was a Leupold. After 43 years mold appeared inside the scope. Leupold replaced with a new, and better scope.

I'm looking for a long range scope in SFP that has accurate and repeatable tackling. March has the ideal features, I'm just trying to learn more about the tracking accuracy and repair service past the warranty period.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before...There are a lot of companies that make optics in Japan that still offer lifetime warranties.

Looking on input for a scope to match my rifle and new dream. I have a 8# .280 AI shooting 150 ttsx and lrab's about the same. Hope to avoid the hubble telescope but not be under magnification should a gong need ringing at 800 or an elk near there. I have a great place to stretch it out more. Just am guessing real world shot might be closer than farther. Elk, der bear. Magnification low to highest? Price and weight heavy nxs not being considered.
Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 only weighs 20.4 oz....

I just found this on March's website. I have heard this line before from others who smirk at lifetime warranties. Seems pretty weak to me.

43E2A7E3-4CD4-4E0A-995E-0B1CA3CAE15A.png

Looking on input for a scope to match my rifle and new dream. I have a 8# .280 AI shooting 150 ttsx and lrab's about the same. Hope to avoid the hubble telescope but not be under magnification should a gong need ringing at 800 or an elk near there. I have a great place to stretch it out more. Just am guessing real world shot might be closer than farther. Elk, der bear. Magnification low to highest? Price and weight heavy nxs not being considered.
Swarovski Z5,Z6 orZ8 in 3.5-18-44
You won't go wrong.

Swarovski are the best in my opinion

I have 3 March scopes and all of the track and return to zero perfectly, great glass, compact, and lightweight. Much more elevation than the VX-6's if that's a consideration, (75 MOA on the VX-6) which is still plenty to get to 1,000 without a +MOA rail.

Wedgy... I'm considering the March 2.5-25 x 52 and heard that the March scopes have a shallow dept of focus and very sensitive parallax adjustment and a tighter (smaller) eye box.
Have you noticed any of these factors in your March scopes and have they caused any issues for you?

The parallax adjustment is a little faster/touchy than most other scopes but once used to it I have no complaints. I haven't really noticed a depth of field issue, I focus on the plane of the target and don't really pay attention after that. I don't use my scopes for glassing so I doubt I would notice that like I would a photo lens. I think the eye box is slightly smaller but not like looking thru a straw by any means, it actually makes me focus on my target better. Another thing the March has that I haven't found on another scope is something in the lens coatings that block out the glare when shooting into the sun, it eliminates that orange flair somehow. I got to shoot an antelope in the afternoon shooting due west into the sun, my GF couldn't see it with the NXS.
I have plenty of NXS/ATACR, VX-6's, a Zeiss V6 to compare to and all are good but I think overall the March edges them out in some way or another in size, weight, glass, zoom, W/E, etc.
You can always sell it on here if you don't like it and not loose much money.

Wedgy... Thanks for your detailed response.
That's exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to get.

I have a VX-6HD 4-24 X 52 and like it but have heard that the zero can shift. I dont have a way to check for 1/4 MOA shifts and would like to have complete confidence in my scope's tracking and zero.
How does your March compare to your VX-6?

I have a 4-24x VX-6 also and the clicks are soft but I have gotten used to them, the zoom know is very tight, I thought it would loosen up but it hasn't and I don't feel like sending it in. I have not had any shifts that I noticed and so far it has returned to zero. Glass is pretty good, overall a good scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.