Ruger #1 in 223 rem

....Ruger #1 is a beautiful rifle, but not conducive to best accuracy due to 2pc stock.......Of course, no limits on what you choose, but best to choose a Proven Performer so you have fewer variables to work with. Ruger has their tactical series with float-tube stock, if done in .223 w/fast twist barrel, it may be the best option for a bolt gun......

Sometimes one has to split hairs a bit. "Not conducive to best accuracy" isn't as helpful as defining what degree of accuracy is needed for a particular task, and eliminating rifles from there that don't meet those parameters.

Approached that way, while the smart bet off the shelf may be the bolt action, the fact is I've had to kick those to the curb, or resolve issues also.

Mine has never had any issues to fix, it is 100% stock from the factory, and does this consistently. That's 5 shots out of my Ruger No 1 300 WM at 100 yds, those are 1" blocks.

fe6d82f7d1abaf571c2d464c7899fcae.jpg
What are those other two holes to the left from?

I have two Ruger No. 1s. A full stock International Model in 7X57mm Mauser that I bought my son when he started hunting as a kid (he's now in his 30s and still uses it). It carries a Lynx 2,5-7X28 Compact scope and is used primarily for close-range hunting (up to 150 meters / 165 yards) in the African bush on game from Impala and Warthogs up to Kudu. With various ammo from 130gr to 170gr it maintains 1" to 1 1/2" groups consistently at 100 meters / 110 yards which is more than adequate for its intended application.

My other Ruger No. 1 is the Tropical version in 375 H&H Magnum which wears a Leopold Vari-X III 1.75-6X32 scope. It's had a trigger job done by Vince Phipson at W.J. Ritchie Gunsmith here in Johannesburg and I fitted a Pachmayr 1" Decelerator buttpad because I'm tall and need that extra length in the stock. Now here is the amazing thing, this rifle shoots 3 shot 1/2" groups off the bench with Remington Safari Grade ammo with 300gr Swift A-Frames - ALL THE TIME!

I guess I'm lucky to have two Ruger No. 1s that shoot so well. I've heard of some of them that are hopelessly inaccurate and I'm told that if you get a non-shooter, the best thing is to dump it.

E. Arthur Brown has components to improve accuracy on the Ruger No. 1. I've recently purchased a 2,5 pound trigger from them (I believe it's a Jard) as I want to use this rifle for taking tougher game like Blue Wildebeest at ranges out to 300 meters / 325 yards and at that distance I need a lighter, cleaner breaking trigger.

If I was you, I'd request the current owner to let you test it for accuracy on the range and see how it does.

Good luck!

.223 is short range, why not go for a Ruger Precision in .243, much more powerful calibre. I use mine for target shooting out to 1000 yards in the UK with 107grain bullets.

I have 'picked' up four Ruger single shots over the years.

My first a #3 in 45/70. It was used as a brush gun for deer. It worked and replaced my Winchester 94 in 39/30. I traded it for a scope and told Lenny if he was to get rid of it to let me know. For a tall lanky man I was surprised and short of cash so I lost it!

My second a #3 in 22 Hornet(played with the hanger to improve its accuracy there was an article about this in The AMERICAN Rifleman), a #1 Liberty Model in 6 mm Remington, and a #1 in 218Bee.

I enjoyed them all- the 22s the most!

Last edited:
So, there ya go

1. "fairly" accurate, kinda cross your finger deal
2. They are beautiful rifles,
3. Ruger is probably going to discontinue making them, as the are EXPENSIVE to build, and Ruger is ALL ABOUT CHEAP CHIT now days.

I agree about the 223 being a short range calibre. For longer range work there are many other more competent calibres.

Buzzsaw, I've noticed that calibre and model choice is becoming slimmer with the No. 1 rifle, particularly here in South Africa. When you can get them, they're hellishly expensive.

It'll be a great pity if they are discontinued. In my mind they are the most beautiful modern production rifles made.

If they do, my next single shot will probably be a Shiloh Sharps in one of the longer 45- cartridges.

I've heard good things about the Ruger Precision Rifle, have put my hands on one in the shop and its well made, but haven't had the chance to test fire one.

The RPR are good, what I call "starter" long range rifles. Shoot a couple years, if the Long Range bug bits build a custom. the RPR is VERY heavy, not a hunting rifle.

I wish I kept the pictures of the #1, 6.5 Creedmoor I had. It was a collector looking gun.

Here is a look at a 600 to 1,000 yd 223 load with a 75 AMAX seated for a 5.56 throat in a 26" 1/8 twist. Velocity @ 3,000 using AA2520 powder. The long seating allows for more powder space and lower pressures, so a proper 223 bolt gun and load can reach out and have some KO on varmints or gongs.

Also attached is a 100 yd group the combo shoots.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    950.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    737.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
The No. 1 is a clasic. You can get to shoot at 600, but there are better rifles for that. Having said that, it is a beautiful rifle and designed based on the farquharson action. There is nothing like owning, handling and shooting a No. 1 if you like wood, blueing and color case hardening.

Attachments

• 274-1.jpg
    274-1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 124
Not Condusive To accuracy means just what it says....
The 2pc stock and the tiny receiver are problematic.

What is "accuracy"? Getting one tiny 3 shot group out of a day at the range, or shooting 10-15 5rd groups in a day which average out under .5"? Is accuracy something you can deliver offhand using maybe a sling? Do you load and test a variety of bullets, primers and powders to determine best outcome?

Pretty zany to do such load & component testing, unless you're shooting mild cast bullet loads which won't wear throat or rifling. Perhaps you're not really into shooting as much as making the rifle shoot??? It's a free country, but... You will note that there are no Ruger #1s ever fielded in any precision competitions. They're very handsome rifles, modelled on the Farquahr(sp?), but if you're happy with the lucky 3 shot group, the #1 is maybe all you need. Some of them are very elegant.

The Winchester Hi-Wall single shots were competitive in their day; rigged with a 20x Unertl or Lyman return to battery scope & mount. Awesome looking gear; just not "practical" or competitive any longer...

The 77gr smk match loaded .223/5.56x45 worked for the Army Marksmanship Unit in winning Service Rifle championships shooting the one load from 200-600yds. At 600, most competitors go 80 or 90gr single-loading for their better wind-bucking; but the AMU guys all shot mag-length loads 77gr and won! Pretty much 1moa to .5moa performance at all ranges to be in the top 10 matchwise. Of course, they were shooting 20" heavy barrels with open sights. How much better from a bipod or bagged position with a decent scope?

AR-15s with the right ammunition will shoot right with the best bolt rifles, yet the flat top receivers with built-in picatinny rail elimnate the base variables from being problematic. One thing to mount a varminting scope on a rail or barrel block, like on a #1; another to mount wholly on receiver or a properly torqued free-float tube...

Stock doesn't influence accuracy potential on an AR design. Radial bolt lugs are better than dual or triple lugs, Plenty of reasons the AR shoots better than most bolt rifles.

If you go with a .223 chambered varmint rifle, as noted the 12 or 14 twist won't handle any longrange capable (high bc) bullet. Do you buy the limitation? Do you want to be limited? One thing to be sure: the match bthp designs and vlds are NOT frangible! I have shot lots of my handloaded 75/77gr match into rock and gravel backdrop and they might bend like a pretzel, but they don't break up. Not good for neighborhood varminting. For that you want that 4k velocity 40gr hp; or maybe a 17cal hottie...

With Nosler partition and other 60+ grain premium bullets you have a good deer ctg. Admittedly, have to be sure of shot placment, but... the heavy bullets will take heavier game, again shot placement... Of course, if you can keep 10rds in 2" at 200yds in under 10sec, your placement ought to be pretty good. The .223 is very capable, but few have barrels or load to its capcity.

Regarding rifles... If your aim is consistent precision, you start with what the precision shooting winners are shooting and eliminate as many unknowns right from the start as you can. Look at Brownells catalog and see what customizing options are available for which platform. There is no market in trying to make a sow's ear shoot. You start with acknowledge accurate platforms and try to improve on them.... If you like to be eccentric, the Ruger #1 might be for you...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.