Rifle with Swappable Barrels

That's a bold statement.

Have you compared the Blaser to the Schultz and Larsen Victory, Classic DL or Legacy?
What about the Sauer 202 or 404?

No on the Schultz and Larsen. I own a R8 and a Sauer 404 at this time. I had a Sauer 200 and a 202 for a spell. I really liked the Blaser R93 but will admit the R8 is more robust. I have found both system's excellent but think the Blaser is just a little better from the scope mounting system to they way the barrels exchange. I have also found re-zero with the Blaser to be spot on--I think this has somewhat to do with the scope mounting on the barrel. My 404 sometimes requires a bit of "tuning" between barrel exchanges not all the time--and granted it is very little.I have owned a Blaser system since 1997...it's a good robust system especially for the traveling hunter.

Bold statement, maybe--but I feel like I do have some credibility and insight on the subject

Last edited:
Does anybody have a rifle for which they have more than one caliber barrel they switch out? For instance, 7PRC and 300PRC barrels for one action. Does it work well? Technical issues?

Thanks!
I have been switching barrels for over 10 years. Fact is virtually any action can be used to switch barrels. You need to know what the tenon thread size and pitch is and when you have a barrel chambered for that gun have your gunsmith thread the new barrel for that action. All savage I use Savage snd American rifle actions, both of which have the same tenon thread, so when combined with a barrel nut, make swapping barrels a 15 minute procedure. McGowan makes things simple with their Remage barrels and barrel nuts for Remington action users.

When you get down to it, any AR platform is a switch barrel, or switch upper, rifle. I know the thread is about bolt guns, but think about how much easier to change an upper is. My MSR has 5.56 and 6.8 uppers and I have a hankering for a 224 upper, just because.

I currently have two barrels for my Tikka action - a 6.5 PRC & 300 WSM). I'm thinking about a 7 PRC, but not sure it would add anything to what bases I already have covered. Both barrels are carbon fiber, shoulder pre-fit barrels. One is a Proof, the other is a custom from Snowy Mountain. This system only requires a barrel vise and is a quick install, with scope needing to be re-zeroed. Both barrels are very accurate. This is the most wallet-friendly way I have found as it usilizes Tikka action ($650) and pr-fit barrels (carbon $700 or Stainless $400). Just add a stock and scope and you are good to go.

I went this way because I got tired of waiting 6-9 months and paying $800 - $1,200 for gunsmith installed barrels made from blanks.

When you get down to it, any AR platform is a switch barrel, or switch upper, rifle. I know the thread is about bolt guns, but think about how much easier to change an upper is. My MSR has 5.56 and 6.8 uppers and I have a hankering for a 224 upper, just because.
I had 15 uppers & two lowers before we lost them over here 😖
Cartridges from 22LR to 450 BM, all suppressed
Bartleins to Proof Carbons, 22 Nosler, Valkyrie, SPC, PPC etc & wildcats on Grendel or BR cases, ,243, 264, ,308, .338
Most shot sub 3/4 MOA easily, some sub 1/2 consistently
Amazingly versatile platform, so sad to see them go 😭

I'm about to rebarrel my first rifle myself and I've decided to do a switch barrel setup using the WTO switch lug. 700LTR, currently a 308. Going to do another 308 barrel and a 1:7 twist 243AI. I can't afford a new gun in every cartridge I want to shoot.

Does anybody have a rifle for which they have more than one caliber barrel they switch out? For instance, 7PRC and 300PRC barrels for one action. Does it work well? Technical issues?

Thanks!
Yes, I have quite a few.
All are either REM 700 based, my comp guns and ELR rifles, or have Win Model 70 actions or Kimber 84/8400 actions. I have a Mauser '98 action switch barrel also in 257AI and 338-06.
I like lightweight mountain rifles for stalking, due to our stupid laws here, rifle numbers are limited, but barrels per action are not.
I limit each action to 3 barrels because often POI varies between barrels. I also try to utilise cartridges very similar, so one of my Win Model 70's has 300Bee, 340Bee and 375Bee barrels.
My Rem 700 Sendero II based rifle has 264WM, 7STW and 7RM.
My Rem 700 SA has 22-250, 22-250AI and 6.5x47 Lapua.
The list goes on, my Win Model 70 EW has 264WM, 270Bee and 338WM.
My Kimber 8400 has 300WM, 338WM and 264WM.
My CZ 550 Safari Magnum action, which is highly modified, has my own wildcats on it, 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°and 375-416 Rigby Improved 40° barrels on it.Had designed a 30 cal version but never came to fruition.

Cheers.

I always use to think I would just as soon have a complete rifle as a switch barrel for cost. With cost of rifles going up so much about 5 years ago I decided to try a Savage just to see how much I would like being able to switch barrels, have 4 now. I do my own barrels and work so it seems like once I pull a barrel off a factory action it becomes a switch barrel.

The nice thing is for the Savage or similar threaded actions, if I want to try a cartridge or need a fireforming barrel I can grab a used Savage barrel cheap and make it work. Problem with that is sometimes they shoot amazing and I leave them as is. Lol. Bad problem to have. I do both barrel nut and shouldered if it is just going to stay with that action.

On these I have 2 Savage, A Remington 722 and a Ruger. At some point I plan on getting a Origin so I can use the factory and custom Savage threaded barrels.

I take Blaser rifles for African safaris. 458 Lott, 300 Win and 375 H&H. Easy to switch with enclosed torx driver. They are expensive but fabulous rifles. The scopes are attached so no sighting in is required

I've got 3 WTO switchlugs on some of my rifles and love them. Also got shouldered switchbarrel rifles that require an action wrench. Of the two, the WTO is by far the easiest.
Want to change calibers? Just change barrels and record your scope settings. Easy to return.
That way you're using the same stock, receiver, scope and trigger - and its a whole lot cheaper than buying a whole new rig!

Thanks!
1) if you have one of the actions with tight tolerances it's a lot easier. Spin on spin off , check headspace and done.

I have the bighorn origin action. Love how easy it is to swap bolt heads ($125)
Regularly swap bullets from different calibers for hunting and competition. Takes 5-10 minutes depending on how clean my bench is.

Need a good barrel vise ( Short action custom makes a good modular one), the correct action wrench for your action , and a torque wrench. Be sure you have the correct GO / NO GO gauges.

Pic of my latest pre fit seating test.

Attachments

• IMG_2257.jpeg
    IMG_2257.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
Assuming a fellow had a R700 that he liked, but wanted to do a switch barrel setup without using a Remage style nut what would be the recommended method?