Rifle/ Ammo Combo

mmc3l

Hi - I'm looking at getting into Long Range Shooting/ Hunting and am looking at 6.5 Creedmoor. My concern is the availability of ammunition, both short term and long term. Is there a better round for availability? I don't want to buy the rifle and then not be able to use it. I'd sacrifice distance and accuracy (as a beginner) for the ability to shoot.

Creedmoor ammo is coming back in stock around here! It's also one of the easiest beginer cartridges to reload for and learn to shoot long range.
But 7mm-08 or 6creedmoor would be a better options if you are buying ammo off the shelf and can't find 6.5 creedmoor.

The main question is if you are buying an off the shelf rifle or having something built with a fast twist barrel.

Creedmoor ammo is coming back in stock around here! It's also one of the easiest beginer cartridges to reload for and learn to shoot long range.
But 7mm-08 or 6creedmoor would be a better options if you are buying ammo off the shelf and can't find 6.5 creedmoor.
thanks!

You probably won't be able to find an off the shelf 6creedmoor, the 7mm-08 won't have a fast twist barrel off the shelf either. If I were you I'd just buy an off the shelf 6.5 creedmoor and camp Bass pro to find ammo. 6.5prc is even worse for ammo availability. Also reach out on here some of us can help with ammo finds.

Hi - I'm looking at getting into Long Range Shooting/ Hunting and am looking at 6.5 Creedmoor. My concern is the availability of ammunition, both short term and long term. Is there a better round for availability? I don't want to buy the rifle and then not be able to use it. I'd sacrifice distance and accuracy (as a beginner) for the ability to shoot.
Might look around for, the "Hated" ( For lower, BC's ), .270 WSM as, Ammo should be,.. available !
The 6.5 Creed, is NOT,.. a "Longer range", Elk, Cartridge !
The 7mm Rem Mag and .270 WSM have, "reasonably manageable",.. Recoil and will, reach out there with, the "right" Bullets for,.. HUNTING Big Game ! And, a Tikka T-3 in EITHER Cal., is, Money, well spent !

Last edited:
Second Lefty's motion. 6.5 Creedmoor is a long-range target caliber. It's not very fast for long-range hunting. If you want to hunt long range with a 6.5, consider a caliber that will give you several hundred feet per second more velocity at the muzzle. Also agree with GrayCreed about buy vs. build. If you're building, you can order a high-twist-rate barrel for whatever caliber you want. A 264 Win Mag with a 7.5"-twist barrel will stabilize a 156-grain Berger EOL at over 3,000 fps. See e.g. https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...dance-with-264-win-mag-and-156-berger.240269/ and . That's a long-range 6.5 hunting rifle.

YUP,.. the 6.5 PRC would be "Sweet",.. IF, IF, IF,.. there were, Bullets,.. available !
T'was able, to Buy me some, 140 grain Classic Hunter's in,.. .270, tho !
Gold, is easier to find, than those,... Berger 156's

Last edited:
You might also consider a 280 AI. Relatively easy to buy or form the brass, and buy 7mm bullets. I shoot the Berger VLD 168 grain in a 280 Remington and the Berger VLD 180 grain in a 280 AI. I love both bullets in those calibers. My AI sends the 180-grain bullet at just over 3,000 fps. I don't notice the difference in kick between either 280 and my 264 Win Mag. The question of how far out a bullet will kill an elk is about kinetic energy at impact and bullet construction. In my opinion a Berger bullet arriving with 1,500 ft-lbs of kinetic energy is an ethical shot, if you can shoot reliably into a 10" target at the distance. The 180-grain VLD exiting the 280 AI at 3,000 fps at typical Rocky Mountain altitude/temperature conditions is good for that energy beyond 1,000 yards. The 156-grain Berger EOL exiting my 264 Win Mag at the same speed is good to nearly a grand. (Neither load is hot.) Even on this forum, my guess is not many shooters are capable at those ranges. Certainly I'm not (yet). My rifle is better than its owner.

Last edited:
There was a Cooper .264 win mag for sale on this forum....I came close to buying it but I don't need another 6.5. It was barely broken in and I think the last price was $1950, which is a great deal. If you don't wanna go through the time and effort of a custom, I'd strongly recommend a Cooper.
Every custom that I've had built resulted in me making a bunch of small inexpensive changes, that added up to a big number over my original budget. That's on me, but I know I'm not the only one who lets that happen.
If you're just getting into the game, I can assure you that you'll learn a lot and get good advice from the guys on this site....I did.
But I can't say enough good things about Coopers, their customer service and the fact that every one that I've seen has shot tiny little groups......and my buddy has 7or 8.
good luck.

What are you considering Long Range? What distances are you considering when hunting? I personally shoot at 400 a lot and try to keep my hunting distances under that. With that said I use a Browning Xbolt 6.5 Creed with 143 ELDX shooting at 2710 FPS and it worked great for all my applications.