Remington Model 783 Review

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Remington Model 783 Review, By Michael Newton. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Thanks so much for this review of the Rem 783. I bought one - in .308 - for my wife (pig and deer huntimng) - and can't wait to sight it in. Will probably drop a better scope on it --- but the one on there now seems serviceable. If I can get under a MOA with a factory load - will be very satisfied.

Will try the Rem pig load! It was what - 168 gr for 06 - maybe 150 gr for the .308?

Yes, PT&G bottom metal and Boyds stock. Also, EGW & PT&G makes bases and Criterion and Pacnor make barrels.

The Pacnor barrels are similar to the drop-in pre-fit Savage barrels and can be had in a pile of barrel weights, calibers and lengths. I have been toying with the idea of buying a Rem 783 in 30/06 and restocking it in a Boyds stock as well as ordering a 358 Winchester barrel for it along with Go and Nogo guages so if I am shooting short range on elk in thick bush the 250 grain 358 win bullet will help ensure an animal cannot get lost on a snap shot. Will also consider the bottom metal as well as higher quality magazines.

Combined with a rail and decent rings to put a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 Compact scope and I am willing to bet it will be a good rifle as some Savages have been.

If others are interested I also asked at the beginning of this thread if anyone knew the maximum length limits for loads with long bullets like the Hornady ELD-X or the Bergers seated out to how far and still fit the magazine?

The Pacnor barrels are similar to the drop-in pre-fit Savage barrels and can be had in a pile of barrel weights, calibers and lengths. I have been toying with the idea of buying a Rem 783 in 30/06 and restocking it in a Boyds stock as well as ordering a 358 Winchester barrel for it along with Go and Nogo guages so if I am shooting short range on elk in thick bush the 250 grain 358 win bullet will help ensure an animal cannot get lost on a snap shot. Will also consider the bottom metal as well as higher quality magazines.

Combined with a rail and decent rings to put a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 Compact scope and I am willing to bet it will be a good rifle as some Savages have been.

If others are interested I also asked at the beginning of this thread if anyone knew the maximum length limits for loads with long bullets like the Hornady ELD-X or the Bergers seated out to how far and still fit the magazine?
Sort of a more modern .35 Whelan?

FYI: https://gunsmagazine.com/the-35-whelen/

Yes I used to have a .35 Whelen and it was extremely effective on moose and elk with 225 to 250 grain bullets.

Accuracy was decent, however the 358 Winchester I recently shot did one hole groups at 100 yards and was just as good as the 35 Whelen, hence my interest.

I've been keeping track of my modifications to a couple of these rifles I bought real cheap last year.

Adding as many pictures as I can, when I remember.

Also added in my accuracy results since I started reloading.

Hope this helps anyone interested in picking up one of these rifles.

Link:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/just-bought-4-rem-783s-199-each-153783/[URL="http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/just-bought-4-rem-783s-199-each-153783/"][/URL][URL="http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/just-bought-4-rem-783s-199-each-153783/"][/URL]http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/just-bought-4-rem-783s-199-each-153783/[/QUOTE[URL="http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/just-bought-4-rem-783s-199-each-153783/[/QUOTE"][/QUOTE[/URL]]

These rifles are incredibly accurate, that beat any rifle with hammer forged barrel.

Awesome write up on the rifle, I've been looking at reviews on 3 of the low price point rifles in the Frugal bracket.

Savage Axis II, Remmy 783, and Ruger American all chambered in 30-06.
Much of the info I found is good with many of these rifles, and it seems to be steering me more towards the Ruger line-up because of a few reason with my choosing.

The Remington 783 stock sounds hollow, a few folks have tried to fix this with out much luck, and I have yet to find an after market trigger for this rifle,,, I'm sure there is something out there, but haven't found it yet.

The reviews on the Ruger American and Savage Axis II both have similar write up's that are catching my interests.

I've always been a Remington guy for many years, but the cost of BDL 700's is threw the roof up here in Canada, would like to do the 783, but the hollow back of the stock when bush Harvesting won't work for me, and always adding a quality after market trigger is a must for critter, large game, and target plingking paper and silhouette shooting.

This will be the 3 time in my life too return to frugal quality rifles that I've had good success with over the years.

If someone knows where a person can find a quality aftermarket trigger and how to delete the hollow sound of stock for bush harvest, then I would go this route,,,

Foam filled stock thing is not working for the guys on the 783,,, a few folks have been camo taping them too deaden the sound of bush rubbing against the stock.

Northern Canada critters have good hearing up here, so limiting any unnecessary sounds increases chances of a wiser harvest.

Pal Don at forward planning the next rifle

Hey Don, I think you would be happy with any of those 3 options in regards to accuracy.

The triggers on my 783's are under 2.5lbs with no modifications. Fairly light. There is a guy who posted on the forum once who changed his trigger springs and lightened it even more. I don't know of anyone who sells an aftermarket drop in trigger for the 783's.

Remington has had a $40 rebate on the 783's. So factor that in when deciding between the inexpensive rifle options. After the rebate, I only paid $199 for my 783's.

Boyd's has many stock options if you find that you dislike the stock on the 783.

EGW has the best picatinny rail available for mounting optics.

If you love the Rem 700's and price is a concern, I've found the cheapest used rifles are usually in pawn shops.

Hope that helps!

Thanks much E-40 as it helps in the plan of Remmy 783.

Seen a few you tube videos on folks plingking with it, and it looks like a good quality frugal rifle much like the other units.

Plan will happen in a few weeks as the price jumped here in Canada with hunting season, most likely some sales will get under way once it slows down.

Pal Don at trying something different along the way.

Thanks for the reveiw. From your initial expience i think remington goofed alittle.

The 783 was suppose to be a darn good rifle

My dad has one and I like it pretty good. Trigger on his is almost as good as an accutrigger (I'd put it about par with an xl7 which I have). While it still doesn't feel like an expensive rifle by any stretch, it feels much more solid and quality than the 770, not even close. His shoots well, sub moa with 150 interlocks both handloaded and Hornady American Whitetail. The only complaint he has had was that from the factory, the metal latch on the back of the mag didn't hold the mag far enough up for consistent feeding, but 5 minutes spent changing the angle of the metal latch and now that problem is gone. One thing to note, remington suggests you use their 783 bases, or use two of the front 700 bases (or rear, I can't remember off top of my head) but instead of spending the money on their 783 bases or buying two sets of 700 bases, you can use bases designed for savages

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.