Remington Model 783 Review

ADMIN

Administrator
In actuality, if I hadn't been asked to do this review, I would have never noticed much more than the existence of the Remington Model 783. It comes in a cardboard box full of Styrofoam and plastic like any other rifle. It even comes with a scope like many other entry level rifles, so why the Remington 783? What is the idea behind the 783? Why does it exist? Remington has the time-proven 700 model and several other mid/low end models. I didn't know why either, but I was interested in finding out. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Remington Model 783 Review, By Michael Newton. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I was interested in whether you know the maximum length of the magazine for feeding a cartridge in the Rem 783 in 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag cartridges. If a person got one of these rifles say in 300 Win Mag the question is can the magazine length accommodate long slippery bullets like the 208 grain A-Max/ELD-x or longer such as in the case of the Berger Hybrids?

Thanks for the review. I played with it's better looking almost twin, the Marlin X7, for a while. It was a shooter. I wish they hadn't "uglied" it and called it a 783.

Remington is able to achieve it due in part by embracing technological advancement already enjoyed by other manufacturers like the Savage ... good on them for doing so.

You can't satisfy everybody but I think this is an excellent effort on their part to cater to the budget conscious and DIYers ... an alternative to Savage or Remage.

JMHHO!

Daughter's boyfriend got one of these in 7mm Rem. Mag. I snickered a little looking at it, but it shoots well enough to make it a good deal. Wouldn't feel bad putting a better scope on it, but on his budget it was a really good option. I won't laugh at it any more.

My friend picked one of these up for his daughter in .243 for her first deer hunt and had me find a load for it with the 105 Amaxs. The thing shot amazing right out of the box with factory federal break in ammo. 46.0gr of H1000 and the 105 Amax produced 3/8 five shot groups at 100 yards. Very impressed with it.

I bought one in 308 as a project rifle. I wanted to see how it did before I started making changes. The bullets occasionally would feed the first round from the magazine and none of the others. I called Remington and they said they'd send me another magazine so I waited. After a month and a half, I called and they told me it was back-ordered and didn't know when it would be sent. I quit waiting and ordered a PTG bottom metal and AI mag (expensive). A new factory magazine finally came in at just over the two month mark. My research found the magazine issues to be isolated to the short action and more specifically, the 308. Anyway, with some Federal 168 Match ammo, I was getting about 1.3" groups.

I e-mailed Remington a question about the barrel 9 months ago. No reply.

Since then, I changed everything on it except the action (which I milled the face to clean it up) and trigger. Now it shoots well and feeds reliably. Like a Savage, it's a decent project rifle although I found the action tenon threads to be on the crude side. Feeding issues aside, the 783 seems like a fair value. Feeding issues not aside, Remington is still shipping rifles that don't work right.

Very well written article. I too have totally overlooked these rifles and they're probably under my price range but i may start recommending them to friends who are starting out.

Long time lurker. I got the 783 in 7 Mag about a year ago as a cheap beater range gun. Was surprised by the accuracy and the good 2.5 lbs trigger. Best load with minimal work up was 64 gr H4831 and a 160gr Federal Fusion. Rifle is a bit heavy for mountain hunting and it had issues with cartridge feeding that required the feed lips to be tweaked. Worked fine after that. Overall very happy with this and am considering one in 300 Win Mag.

A friend of mine on a tight budget wanted to take up hunting. He got one of these in 30-06 for Christmas a few years ago. I helped him get it set up and shooting. I will say it shot pretty well with the few types of factory ammo he had purchased. The Federal 180gr Powerpoints were consistently hovering under an inch at 100yds. The 150's were about 1.25" average groups. While I was impressed with how well it shot, the magazine was a hunk of crap. We farted around with the lips over and over trying to get it to feed right. Eventually it was passable. He hunted with me that year, and found out that hunting can be a lot of work just to get where the animals are. I think he kind of gave up. Not the fault of the gun though. Other than the crappy magazine feeding issues and sub-par scope (I didn't expect it to be good), it's a decent rifle. I wouldn't pay money for one though.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.