Remington Long Range 5R... Have I lost my mind?

Picked up the 5R .260 today.

Overall general impression? I like it.

It took me less than 2 minutes to get the trigger adjusted enough to make it perfectly acceptable.

Fit/finish etc? Very pleased.

Fluting? I'm really impressed with this style of fluting using 3 big, wide, deep grooves.

Going to have to wait a few days on my picatinny rail to come in. With a little luck though I'll have it in by the end of the week and I'll then have it scoped and ready to shoot as soon as things dry up a bit.

I must admit, I'm actually pretty excited to get both of the 260's out and get a few rounds down range.

It took me less than 2 minutes to get the trigger adjusted enough to make it perfectly acceptable.

Fluting? I'm really impressed with this style of fluting using 3 big, wide, deep grooves.

Going to have to wait a few days on my picatinny rail to come in. With a little luck though I'll have it in by the end of the week and I'll then have it scoped and ready to shoot as soon as things dry up a bit.

I must admit, I'm actually pretty excited to get both of the 260's out and get a few rounds down range.
Measure that twist when you clean that bore.

Hey, how about some pics??? :D

Good.
Listing the wrong twist on their own website worries me.
In all likelihood their website is maintained by a third party vendor who outsources the labor to India or China or some other non English speaking part of the world.

I pulled it apart this evening worked on the trigger a bit more and tried to remove the last of the cosmoline and generally get it ready to shoot as soon as the rail comes in.

I've gotten the trigger pull down to 20 oz, virtually no creep and it's breaking very crisply. It's to the point now that I'm sure it's going to prove to be very serviceable so no need to even consider putting in an aftermarket trigger at least for now.

A note to anyone else who works their Remington trigger over similarly, make absolutely sure that you locktite the hex key for trigger spring no 1 as shown here in this diagram after adjusting it.

RemTrigger014.JPG

That photo is from a pretty good article on adjusting these triggers. The article itself can be found here. No. 9. M-700 X-Mark Pro Adjustable Install a Light Trigger Spring

The only negative criticism I have at this point was the abundance of free movement of the barreled action when the trigger guard screw were loosened due to excess material being machined out of the recoil lug recess in the stock.

This isn't a big deal at all though since it was easily solved by bedding the recoil lug area which I always do anyhow on any new model 700.

I'm actually getting somewhat excited about getting it out later this week to shoot it and the Ruger.

This thread got me excited about 5Rs again and I had never tried that rifle in a 300 win mag....so now I got one on the way. 24" stainless and threaded so I can use my specwar 762 on it. Hoping I get lucky with minimal POI shift, and good performance with 200eld-x rounds!

This thread got me excited about 5Rs again and I had never tried that rifle in a 300 win mag....so now I got one on the way. 24" stainless and threaded so I can use my specwar 762 on it. Hoping I get lucky with minimal POI shift, and good performance with 200eld-x rounds!
Well I've been short on time but got out one afternoon for a couple of hours with it.

Before heading to the field the first thing I did was take it apart and try to clean up as much of the cosmoline (whatever it is they are using these days) and upon seeing how much free play there was between the recoil lug and bedding block went ahead and bedded it.

I also ordered two types of factory ammo and I must say that so far I'm pretty well impressed with it. Even though I was trying to follow a reasonable break in procedure cleaning after every round for the first ten, then after each three for four three shot groups it was holding right around MOA from the start.

I don't consider a rifle really broken in until I have at least fifty rounds through it so we have quite a ways to go to get there but it certainly is showing promise.

I ran into a herd of at least 9 large hogs tonight on the way in from doing chores but unfortunately it was already dark so I missed my first chance at getting it bloody but I suspect it won't be long until I get another chance. We've got no shortage of coyotes this year and of course deer season is right around the corner.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.