Remage set up

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I'm wanting to do a diy remage sat up on a remington 700 sa and I'm not sure what would be best way to go about it or what would be the best action wrench and barrel vise to get on a budget as this is going to be a budget build.also who makes good no go/go gauges.also will my stock need to be cut out for the barrel nut and who makes a stock already made for remage sat up that I can buy down the road any advice will be appreciated thanks

Hello all I'm wanting to do a diy remage sat up on a remington 700 sa and I'm not sure what would be best way to go about it or what would be the best action wrench and barrel vise to get on a budget as this is going to be a budget build.also who makes good no go/go gauges.also will my stock need to be cut out for the barrel nut and who makes a stock already made for remage sat up that I can buy down the road any advice will be appreciated thanks
If you get a stock that has the barrel channel for a larger contour it shouldn't be an issue. Even if you needed to open the stock up slightly around the nut it wouldn't be hard with a Dremel.

Call James at Northland shooters supply. He'll get you hooked up with what you need for an action wrench and such. He also carries remage barrels and the guages you need. I've had really good luck with criterion for the price.

Really easy to do. Anyone with some mechanical knowledge can do it.

700 pretty easy Remage. Buy barrel nut with barrel so another easy button. The 700 SA is pretty limiting for Magazine COAL depending upon cartridge what you intend to shoot out if it.
PTG will likely have the go gauge you will need. If this is one time only, I would see if you could borrow or go to someones place to use their action vise and barrel vise. Magpul makes budget adjustable stock for 700SA that accepts barrel nut without any work.

If you are thinking any WSM, the 700SA is prob worse action to use due to short magazine potential.

What are you thinking for cartridge? Thought for adding freebore?

Preferred Barrel has provided 2 Remage build for me that turned out great.

If you need a .270 go gauge, happy to loan to you. Edit added: see below post on go gauge.

Last edited:
You may be able to borrow a wrench, nut wrench, and go gauges, lots of friendly members here will loan them out. Give them a paypal deposit then get a refund when you return them.
Super easy to do just watch some Ytube videos, be sure to recheck the headspace AFTER you fully tighten the barrel nut as it can change.

Thank you everyone for the info.as far as cartridge gos I'm going back with 308 win.im thinking 22inch 1/9 twist carbon fiber wrap barrel the one ive looked at so far was an x caliber barrel.will be shooting different hammer bullets for hunting loads and for paper targets I shoot everything from 168 amaxs to 210 vlds.yes the rem sa factory mag box is short for the heavier pills but when shooting say the 210s for target shooting I usually single feed already.i would like to a long action and have it throated for the heavies but that will be later on down the road.

I have done a couple and I am an idiot with fat fingers. Easier than swapping out a savage barrel. The most difficult thing I experienced was removing a barrel from a donor action. I use forster go and no go gauges. Barrel nut wrenches are cheap. If you have the money for a carbon wrapped barrel, you might as well buy your own gauges, nut wrench, as well as barrel vise and action wrench. Probably be $250 total if you go with forster gauges and wheeler everything else and good to have for future projects because once you realize how easy it is to build your own accurate rifle, you may decide to do all of your own builds. That is where I am at. As for stocks, I have not had any issues with the barrel nut area having to be cut. The stocks I have used that did not need any modification at all are mcmillan, greyboe, and AG composites.