Savage/Remage

I see a lot of guys say no to truing. They are correct. You can shoot very small groups without truing. However if you plan on shooting at variable ranges accurately having the face perpendicular to the axis of the action thus the scope base centerline and the threads touched to insure the same centerline as the action. There is more to it than that, but at the very least a very fine hone removing the high spots on the action face goes a long way.

To the OP,

My fair warning to you, "don't do it" or you'll be hooked and become a barrel NUT brother. :):Dgun)

Call me a barrel nut guy now.......:D

Attachments

• 20170222_170223.jpg
    20170222_170223.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 144
I could see this being an addicting thing. I tend to like these kinds of projects. We will see what I decide to do. Kind of intriguing to try I guess. I personally dont have a lot of interest in having one action and 5 different barrels for that action. But I am intrigued by essentially assembling my own rifles. That could be extremely cool.

I tend to be somewhat of a Remington fan, but I am not closed minded enough to not be open to others. What is the cost on a Savage action these days? All I find is what appears to be single feed target actions. I am not very well versed in Savage so if someone could enlighten me, that would be great.

I could see this being an addicting thing. I tend to like these kinds of projects. We will see what I decide to do. Kind of intriguing to try I guess. I personally dont have a lot of interest in having one action and 5 different barrels for that action. But I am intrigued by essentially assembling my own rifles. That could be extremely cool.

I tend to be somewhat of a Remington fan, but I am not closed minded enough to not be open to others. What is the cost on a Savage action these days? All I find is what appears to be single feed target actions. I am not very well versed in Savage so if someone could enlighten me, that would be great.

I picked up a model 12 fv in 22-250 for 319 at cabelas for my build. Your best bet is one of those or finding a used one somewhere for cheap money

If you are.a remington guy you will be appalled at the cycling of a savage action. Cocking effort is ridiculous. The accutrigger and its safety mode is a.real PITA

But that said they shoot great and are cheap to build. I love mine.

Now you can have a.savage action timed and trued by Fred at SSS and install aftermarket triggers but soon you are in the custom action range. I know Fred is working on one of my target actions now

I haven't done a remage yet but having a barrel nut on a remington 700 with a jewel trigger appeals to me

It is addicting. Just depends on how far you go down the rabbit hole.

Yeah the wheels are definitely turning, no doubt about that. I have the wheels turning about buying cheap Remington ADL's, threading a high quality barrel on there with a bugholes nut, and a jewel trigger. Pretty reasonable really for a high quality gun in the end.

I have done a lot of work on Remington's as far as triggers and bedding and all that stuff over the last few years. I feel comfortable there, might have to start with one there and see where that takes me. hmmmmmm

Talk to me about accuracy. If I rebarrel with a good barrel, not the cheaper versions. Better than factory, not as good as full custom????? 1/2, 3/4, 1 MOA???? What should one expect?

Talk to me about accuracy. If I rebarrel with a good barrel, not the cheaper versions. Better than factory, not as good as full custom????? 1/2, 3/4, 1 MOA???? What should one expect?

That is.a.hard.one.to answer.

The price.difference between low end and top of.the.line in these prefits is negligible. Now you might.have.to wait a bit for.a bartlein or Kraiger

Barrel contour?

What cartridge?

Stock and bedding

All these variables must be taken into account

Many cheap savages shoot 1/2" right.out of the box. Many don't

With good load.development half inch should.be no problem

My 6BR Savage target action has no problem putting them through one.hole. it deserves a better shooter than i

Definitely a lot of variables there.

I tend to go with laminate stocks, bedding, trigger on about every gun I buy these days it seems. I have become a little picky about trigger, like the look of the laminate, and enjoy the bedding project.

Not sure what my thoughts on barrel are. Could go with the McGowan or Criterion, kinda like the thought of going with a real nice one too though. Contour would depend on caliber and use I guess.

I like the bugnut system. That would probably be my preference there.

I like the hardwood and bench vice idea.

This is starting to get pretty doable I think. $1000 would get you a pretty good gun I think. Very interesting. Could be a fun little project.

Definitely a lot of variables there.

I tend to go with laminate stocks, bedding, trigger on about every gun I buy these days it seems. I have become a little picky about trigger, like the look of the laminate, and enjoy the bedding project.

Not sure what my thoughts on barrel are. Could go with the McGowan or Criterion, kinda like the thought of going with a real nice one too though. Contour would depend on caliber and use I guess.

I like the bugnut system. That would probably be my preference there.

I like the hardwood and bench vice idea.

This is starting to get pretty doable I think. $1000 would get you a pretty good gun I think. Very interesting. Could be a fun little project.

And the.challenge of doing it yourself. Sure.you can buy a rifle that will do whatever you want but the satisfaction of seeing that small group develop from something you built. Priceless

I went with the criterion. Been an awesome barrel. Shoots very well for me. And I agree when you put something together yourself then you see it produce .25moa groups or better it makes you grin ear to ear

Sounds like this could be a heck of a good time. Very very interesting stuff. Sounds like at the very least should be as accurate as a factory rifle. This sounds like a great time.

I know what you are saying about gratification of a project. I have a couple rifles that I cut the groups in half with some bedding, trigger work, and reloads. This would just take it one step further. Awesome, thanks for all the info everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.