reloading for 22-250 using SUPERFORMANCE powder

jammer300

I'm having a hard time finding any info for this powder. I have some 50 gr. V-MAX bullets sitting around and was wanting to load them in my 22-250. was wanting to use the SUPERFORMANCE powder I have but the only load I can find is the one on the bottle and is for a 60 gr. V-MAX. I would appreciate any suggestions. thanks.

When this powder first hit the shelves, I played around with it a little in the 22-250 (with 50gr Vmax). It was pre-chrony, so I have no velocity data. I shot groups with a few different charges, none over 43gr of powder. I never had pressure signs, but it was also the worst powder I had tried in that rifle for accuracy. I have heard of others having very good results.

I ended up using Varget, and it gives me almost 4000fps at max charge (50gr Blitzking). My pet accuracy load is around 3875. Good enough for my purposes.

With Superformance, maybe start at 40gr or so and do a work-up looking for pressure signs.

Good luck

Brandon

Based on what I am seeing from Hodgdon's online loading data, SUPERFORMANCE powder is best suited for heavier bullets. I would consider the fact that it only appears in their loading data for 60 grain bullets and heavier to be significant.

If you are looking for higher velocity with 50 grain bullets, you might consider CFE 223 or IMR 8208XBR.

Looking at the hodgdon website, I see that the fastest 50gr loads are with CFE 223 powder. CFE223 is listed on the burn rate table at position 103 with Varget at 99 and LeverRevolution at 104. By comparison, Superformance is at position 126, right after H4831 at 125.

So Superformance is a slow powder, better suited to heavier bullets. Looking at the loads for 70gr, Superformance powder is up with the best velocities. So save it either for heavier bullets, or a different cartridge like a 243 shooting heavy bullets.

I'm having a hard time finding any info for this powder. I have some 50 gr. V-MAX bullets sitting around and was wanting to load them in my 22-250. was wanting to use the SUPERFORMANCE powder I have but the only load I can find is the one on the bottle and is for a 60 gr. V-MAX. I would appreciate any suggestions. thanks.
Same here, want to use the powder they are using to get my store box V-Max Superformance to run at 3975 that I'm getting from their store box ammo. This stuff is awesome, and shot under .40 group at 300 yds, I know, hard to believe but it's true, 2 people were there to witness it .

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Brandon, I know this post was from a few year ago, but shot the Hornady Superformance Varmint and got 3975 FPS and ,,,I know hard to believe but shot a .50 group at 300 yds. with he out of the box Hornady ammo in a 24" barrel Bergara B-14. have 600 empty's and want to try and duplicate the loads. Any Idea what powder they are using or would be a good choice,

Brandon, I know this post was from a few year ago, but shot the Hornady Superformance Varmint and got 3975 FPS and ,,,I know hard to believe but shot a .50 group at 300 yds. with he out of the box Hornady ammo in a 24" barrel Bergara B-14. have 600 empty's and want to try and duplicate the loads. Any Idea what powder they are using or would be a good choice,
This post is exactly what I did today, I also am wondering what powder they are using because I have five books that I am looking through and I cannot find anything up to 4000 ft./s

I would love to know which powder

This post is exactly what I did today, I also am wondering what powder they are using because I have five books that I am looking through and I cannot find anything up to 4000 ft./s

I would love to know which powder
I don't need 4000 FPS but sure like to find a comparable powder, loaded up 12 rounds at 38g, 38.5, 39.g and 39.5, of CFE223 and only 94% full, I'll see what I get, the Nosler book shows this for .22-250 , have to try and see if I have any pressure issues. The main reason is we reload and have thousands of empty cases , and can't find any box up ammo that comes close for accuracy and performance and FPS. The other Hornady Varmint loads show them at 3800 FPS but we couldn't get more than 3700 FPS out of them and most were around 3650-3670. The drop difference is no good. Thanks for the info.

Based on what I am seeing from Hodgdon's online loading data, SUPERFORMANCE powder is best suited for heavier bullets. I would consider the fact that it only appears in their loading data for 60 grain bullets and heavier to be significant.

If you are looking for higher velocity with 50 grain bullets, you might consider CFE 223 or IMR 8208XBR.

Those 2 powders are exactly what loaded up to try this week. Been way to hot here to test them last few weeks. Like the loads of the CFE 223 the most at 94%

check out CFE223 powder at 3

I'm having a hard time finding any info for this powder. I have some 50 gr. V-MAX bullets sitting around and was wanting to load them in my 22-250. was wanting to use the SUPERFORMANCE powder I have but the only load I can find is the one on the bottle and is for a 60 gr. V-MAX. I would appreciate any

Try CFE 223 @ 38. g to start and work up to 39.0 ++ only 94% full in the case, just loaded some and with cooler weather going to run them this week. Should give your around 3940-60 FPS

It's way too slow for a 14 twist.
I have a winchester heavy varmint from back when they used wilson barrels.
Imr 3031 and the sierra 50 grain blitz…52 or 53 grain sierra match bullets were one holers.
It works good on a few calibers… not good enough for me to stop buying surplus powder

Last edited:
Factory ammo stating "superformance' doesn't use superformance powder commercially sold, it's priority.

Recent Posts